Cobalt Blue

b737lvr

Arachnopeon
yesterday i saw a cobalt blue that is fairly small (at least it looks that way) and is priced at $50or $40 dollars. if i do decide to purchase this spider i want some answers to some questions first.

1. Is $50/$40 a good price? (she is a female)
2. What does she eat?
3. is cage temperature critical with cobalt blues?
4. what are some key things i need to know to care for her?

thanks!

Nicole

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
1. Yes.
2. Bugs - crickets, roaches, mealworms, etc.
3. Room temp is fine, 70-80 degrees.
4. They are burrowers, need lots of substrate to dig, and you won't see it much once it has done so.

b737lvr

Arachnopeon
the spider i have now is a Chilean rose hair. have had her for a few years.

i know that cobalt blue's are not to be handled or even have your skin near one.

i already know their aggressiveness but what experience level should you really have to own a cobalt blue?

Jaymz Bedell

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i already know their aggressiveness but what experience level should you really have to own a cobalt blue?
I would be inclined to say...enough experience to be confident while working with a defensive, fast animal, that can be unpredictable. this will vary from person to person.

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
I would be inclined to say...enough experience to be confident while working with a defensive, fast animal, that can be unpredictable. this will vary from person to person.
agreed and its kinda like popping your cherry --- wit defensive Ts my p. murnis popped mine lol i had not a clue i know they were fast but you cant explain it

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, my first T was a Haplopelma sp. I rehoused it a couple times without being bit. It's possible for a newbie to own one without having problems, but a lot of times it can be too much to handle.
It's not really worth the intimidation because you won't even see it much, only on rare occasions or if you use a red light at night. Just go ahead and go for it if you want it that much. I just don't recommend this species to new people, not because it's bitey, but because it's rather boring when it stays in a deep burrow all the time.

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
Well, my first T was a Haplopelma sp. I rehoused it a couple times without being bit. It's possible for a newbie to own one without having problems, but a lot of times it can be too much to handle.
It's not really worth the intimidation because you won't even see it much, only on rare occasions or if you use a red light at night. Just go ahead and go for it if you want it that much. I just don't recommend this species to new people, not because it's bitey, but because it's rather boring when it stays in a deep burrow all the time.
right and theyll steritype that all Ts = boring then leave hobby wich == bad

KoffinKat138

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would Read up more on them before you purchase her. Alot of the time anwsering Simple care questions isn't even enough to scratch the surface with care for Haplopelma SP's.

Edit: It would also be good to check the Bite Reports too.

Zman181

Arachnoknight
Beautiful Unpredictable Pet hole :) "Unpredictable like the Sun & the Rainfall"

DeathsPyro12

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My vote, just be careful.

I was trying to get her ready for shipping. Freaked out and took the 10" tongs away from me then managed to run up my arm and then up to my head. :) They really can make life interesting.

P.S. Link if ya happen to view this thread, told ya I had the pic somewhere. XD

-Tim

Zman181

Arachnoknight
Wow! How did you manage to get her ready for shipping after all?

DeathsPyro12

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Lol it was nerve racking but after I got her into a catch cup, I moved her to the living room(more space) and moved her to a container that I cut the corner off of so she could only go into the shipping container. Made life a whole lot easier with her. Last I heard from the member here Link, she was in a planted enclosure and cohabing with the MM.

-Tim

DeathsPyro12

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh I was, don't doubt that. But I just had to stay as calm as possible. :) Plus couple other people were freaking out lol.

-Tim

Zman181

Arachnoknight
:pCould have been worse. You could have had the Curious Cat in the room.

XzotticAnimal420

Arachnosquire
Well Ive had T's of all types over the last 15 years, but I just recently acquired my first H. Lividum. She is beautiful, about 4.5" and when she actually comes out of her burrow, you can see her vibrant cobalt color. Unfortunately she only comes out to remodel the burrow, which happens about once every 3 months. Sometimes I can coax her out with a roach, but even thats rare. Its a very cool spider, but everyones right, you hardly ever see them. Im sure there are a few molts down in her burrow too, which stretches the entire length of the bottom of her MartyMade.

endoflove

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
idk about other lividums but mine needs a burrow, she now sits on the edge (i can see her perfectly every day even in the middle of the day!!!! woot luckey me. but she did not eat for months after i re homed her, untill she made a burrow

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I didn't know they needed to be kept humid.. Mine runs away if I mist or something.. Sits up on the wall all the time.. So I jsut assumed he liked it dry..