Cobalt Blue

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They are a neat spider, but a pet hole indeed! I believe they do need to be a bit more humid, but I never really treated mine any different.

Now, mine was a spawn of Satan! She would be the one to take lunch money from kids!!!! I ended up selling her as she was pretty much a pet hole and when I went to tong feed her once, she slapped a 12" pair of tongs clean out of my hands!

Just be ready for them. They will usually let you know when they are cranky before flying off the handle kamakazi style!

Joe

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I love mine! Such an attitude!

I keep it in a vile covered in black cardboard. It allows me to enjoy it more, as I can see it's burrow and tunnels very well. It's probably the neatest spider I have.. But he is mean.. The size of a stamp, and evil as no other.

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just get a tub, fill it with dirt, and poke a hole in the middle of it.
Put a lid on it, and stick it on a shelf.

It's more or less the same experience.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have two slings and they are my first OW species. I'm not too intimidated by them, but we'll see if that changes once they grow up ;) I can't wait.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Haplopelma are petholes, but can be kept with succes like terrestriels, just with a deeper burrow. i keep all my chinese haploplma this way, and have gotten sacks this way. They tend to be more visible this way, definately in late evening i have several haplos out in the opening looking around.

The do have a bad temper and can be very unpredictable, but after they throw up a threat display they tend to relax somewhat. This helps a lot when transferring them wich have been done here a lot lately because of matings.

Just keep your fingers away, and you have a great T, though not a display T.

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just love knowing that there's a tunnel down there that turns.
Now you're just being difficult.. :p As I said, I keep mine in a vial, so I can watch it's behaviour. it's really quite interesting, but not for everyone I guess.

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Now you're just being difficult.. :p As I said, I keep mine in a vial, so I can watch it's behaviour. it's really quite interesting, but not for everyone I guess.
I'm just messing with you.
I've kept them, large ones. For the most part you don't see them...just a hole.
Thus my ( with tongue somewhat planted in cheek) comment that a simple container of dirt with a hole punched into it, is visually just as entertaining.

And it is.

:)

bloodred1889

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
can i interupt for a small question that may help the OP..
ive seen one in my reptile shop for £59 she is subadult.. is that expensive i think it is.

can someone give an opinion on the right price a sub adult H.lividum.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
They are not all pet holes. I have a 5.5" female that refuses to burrow. I reciently made a deep burrow using half a clear soda cup. She hangs out at the entrance all day. Even let me pick her up by hand some days. Though i wouldnt recommend it to anyone sane. ;) They are much more than pet holes. And even when they are.. Throwing down a roach is equivelent to the scene in Jarrassic Park when they feed the raptors.. {D You dont have to see the crunch just hear it. :drool:

Sadistic Haplo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I actually rehoused my girl today as I had her in a display enclosure, which as you may have guessed it, wasn't such a great display. (5 gallon tank set on end, fill 6/8's with sub and plexi to hold the sub.) Today was the first time I've seen her in roughly 4 months, so I took the opportunity to move her. I've never seen her give a threat even when I prod her. When prodded she generally refuses to cooperate and you sit there brushing her legs with the paint brush for 5 mins or so until she actually decides to move, but when she does you have to be ready because she's running! ;P She cost me 60 bucks Canadian at the LPS.