Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens Open Thread

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Carapace Differences

46B06AD4-DDCD-48ED-B740-C450ADA39BC0.jpeg

I have 5 Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens slings, and I’m noticing differences in their carapaces. They were all roughly the same size, when I bought them back in early October, all were right at or around 3/4”.

3 of the slings are like the sling shown above. The carapace is a bronzy gold color.

85592BB8-EDE7-4306-A8F7-813875E3B078.jpeg

2 of the slings have a shinier gold carapace, and a more gangly structure. GBB #3...and the sling imaged above, both have shinier carapaces than the other 3 slings.

AF5AB207-7F46-4ACE-A5A7-6901D7D20450.jpeg

Here is GBB#3. It went through a rough spell, quit eating and just was not doing well in a bone dry enclosure, like the others. It’s now a moult or two behind the other slings, so it’s smaller...but its carapace has a very bright gold color. If you note the legs, the full blue has not come in yet. It'll have blue legs with it's next moult.

I haven’t sexed these slings as yet, I’m patiently waiting for their next moult. But I’m wondering.

In the fall I’ll be ordering another set of Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens slings, and bring them up behind this group. This species will be my first serious breeding project.

Last edited:

Andy Powell

Arachnopeon
I really want one but there are very expensive for some reason, it isn't like they are a rare species. Is it because there are very sought after?

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Because they are a pain to breed
I'm hearing both sides of the fence on this...

Mostly when I read about them, and research them on the internet, this species sounds like it's so hard to breed and is known for killing the male.

But when I talk directly with a few breeders...not exactly that same story. But I will explore this...

I'm thinking that the pricing is more a reflection of financial supply and demand parameters. It's definitely a beautiful spider. It has lots of demand in the hobby. Newbies to the Hobby drool over them, in their posts, all the time. So breeders always have a market...

Think if Lasiodora parahybana could only produce 1/10th the offspring in an egg sac....what would that do to the price of that species?

Last edited:

rdmartinez

Arachnopeon
I'm hearing both sides of the fence on this...

Mostly when I read about them, and research them on the internet, this species sounds like it's so hard to breed and is known for killing the male.

But when I talk directly with a few breeders...not exactly that same story. But I will explore this...
I talked with some breeders here in the Philippines. He has 8 Matured Females and 3 Matured Males. None of the Males died during sexy time, but, all of the 3 lost a limb or two. Been searching a lot on how to breed them because I bought some Matured Females and a lone Mature Male.

Maybe the breeders that you’ve talked to found the secret to breed them succesfully. Do they use a neutral breeding ground? An enclosure unique to both the Female and Male.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I talked with some breeders here in the Philippines. He has 8 Matured Females and 3 Matured Males. None of the Males died during sexy time, but, all of the 3 lost a limb or two. Been searching a lot on how to breed them because I bought some Matured Females and a lone Mature Male.

Maybe the breeders that you’ve talked to found the secret to breed them succesfully. Do they use a neutral breeding ground? An enclosure unique to both the Female and Male.
That sounds like a rough date. :rofl: (Emphasis Mine)

My notes indicate that setup to breeding is critical...the breeding itself takes place in a tank large enough to hold both male & female enclosures and the breeder is actively present to ensure that all goes well. But preparations for initiating breeding for the female is pretty important...at least that is what I've been told by several sources and is in my notes.

Though I must admit that I do have one source that bred them years ago and was telling me that....yeah...not the easiest spider to breed.

I'm interested in hearing your breeding attempts...as you get closer, I'll share my notes privately with you...Yes?

If you would like, we could approach this together.

Last edited:

rdmartinez

Arachnopeon
That sounds like a rough date. :rofl: (Emphasis Mine)

My notes indicate that setup to breeding is critical...the breeding itself takes place in a tank large enough to hold both enclosures and the breeder is actively present to ensure that all goes well. But preparations for initiating breeding in the female is pretty important...at least that is what I've been told by several sources and is in my notes. Though I must admit that I do have one source that breed them years ago and was telling me that....yeah...not the easiest spider to breed.

I'm interested in hearing your breeding attempts...as you get closer, I'll share my notes privately with you...Yes? We could approach this together.
You will hear from me when I start breeding them, hopefully, the quarantine here ends so that I can start asap.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
You will hear from me when I start breeding them, hopefully, the quarantine here ends so that I can start asap.
Okay...that's a plan. Stay in touch; we'll share information and walk ourselves through the process and share results...just like research in college. :cool:

I'm going to attempt at least 3 females more is better. How many females are you planning to bring up to speed?

Last edited:

rdmartinez

Arachnopeon
Okay...that's a plan. Stay in touch; we'll share information and walk ourselves through the process and share results...just like research in college. :cool:

I'm going to attempt at least 3 females more is better. How many females are you planning to bring up to speed?
Sure thing. My notes are a bit scribbled up atm. Thinking that my problem will be Temperature manipulation since it is quite hot in our country.

I only have one Matured Female with a sclerotized spermatheca, she is at 5.5 inches. Still waiting for my 4.5 and 4 inch Females to hit maturity to breed them and I am planning to get more females, probably around 5 minimum, to inrease the chances of getting at least one gravid Female. I will write a detailed report at the breeding section. Good luck to us.

8toesdown

Arachnopeon
This thread definitely got me to pull the trigger on a GBB sling. Inspired by @Colorado Ts i think I’m going to get two more next month if I can and have three in my collection to observe. This is my second T btw.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
This thread definitely got me to pull the trigger on a GBB sling. Inspired by @Colorado Ts i think I’m going to get two more next month if I can and have three in my collection to observe. This is my second T btw.
Very Happy to have you join the club. :cool:

Let us know when they come in...better yet, post images and describe your experiences with this cool species. Describe how you learned of the GBB, your enclosure, etc.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
This is my first ever GBB enclosure! Between shopping and setting up, I reaaaaally hope that I got this right. But please be honest :)

No waterbowl as it wont be here for another few days!

2.5-3" girl!

Attachments

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
This is my first ever GBB enclosure! Between shopping and setting up, I reaaaaally hope that I got this right. But please be honest :)

2.5-3" girl!
looks good!! with mine i found that it never used the hide i gave it, so i removed it and gave it another anchor point, and it made its own web hide. Now that its completely webbed up i think it feels very secure it doesnt even move off the top of the web if i come near it and sometimes only moves a tiny bit when i take off the lid for feeding.

Enjoy your new C. cyaneopubescens!!!

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel

2.5-3" girl!
It looks fine to me...height not really an issue with this species...I actually like extra height in a GBB enclosure, so that I can open the unit and not destroy their webbing. If you are ripping apart webbing every time you open the enclosure, the spider thinks it’s constantly being attacked, just never seems to settle in.

2.5” to 3” female...you dawg. How did you score that? I've been looking to pickup 3 females in that size range.

I like the skull....but then again, I have issues. :bag:

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
2.5” to 3” female...you dawg. How did you score that? I've been looking to pickup 3 females in that size range.
ive actually seen a few go up for sale on here in the last week or two!

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
It looks fine to me...height not really an issue with this species...I actually like extra height in a GBB enclosure, so that I can open the unit and not destroy their webbing. If you are ripping apart webbing every time you open the enclosure, the spider thinks it’s constantly being attacked, just never seems to settle in.

I like the skull....but then again, I have issues. :bag:
Thank you so much for the thumbs up and the compliments. The skull should look really cool webbed up, and the plants can easily be adjusted so they are not near the top!

Between the skull the hide and the plants which spread around easily, I think I should have enough anchor points!

As for how I scored it? I was looking for EXACTLY what I ordered. Pretty much daily. When I saw it, It was ordered within 5 minutes LOL. I wasnt going to take a chance at losing her!!!

The hide was too large so I cut it with a saw and one of the bottom corners is a bit on the sharp side...but i digged it in pretty well...thst shouldn't be a problem with a GBB right?

Once again appreciate the love 🙏

Also I patted it down as best I could but its tough when bone dry. They should web over it until they feel comfy correct?

Last edited:

8toesdown

Arachnopeon
I got her in the mail this morning from Pinchers and Pokies. This image was taken right after I put her in the enclosure. I came back a few hours later, literally I just went to micro center and came back and she had ALREADY started webbing stuff. So crazy. Wasn’t expecting that, I thought it would take a few days at least. She’s about 3/4”. This was my first time ever unboxing a T, the first one I got I purchased at a reptile store. Everything went smoothly though, I’ve watched a lot of videos so I had all the things: catch cup. Tweezers. New enclosure set up and ready. But she was a sweetie and just walked right in. No issues at all.

I have it in a small container that I got from hobby lobby. I think it’s the golf ball one? This seems big enough for now but I did purchase one size up just Incase.

Attachments

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I got her in the mail this morning from Pinchers and Pokies. This image was taken right after I put her in the enclosure. I came back a few hours later, literally I just went to micro center and came back and she had ALREADY started webbing stuff. So crazy. Wasn’t expecting that, I thought it would take a few days at least. She’s about 3/4”. This was my first time ever unboxing a T, the first one I got I purchased at a reptile store. Everything went smoothly though, I’ve watched a lot of videos so I had all the things: catch cup. Tweezers. New enclosure set up and ready. But she was a sweetie and just walked right in. No issues at all.

I have it in a small container that I got from hobby lobby. I think it’s the golf ball one? This seems big enough for now but I did purchase one size up just Incase.
They are such fun spiders...you will be very happy.

7 Month Itch

I received my slings back in early October 2019. When they arrived, they were all right around 3/4”...very good consistent size determination and quality control at Fear Not Tarantulas.

60E36BDB-DAFF-4293-B807-069C23F25D19.jpeg

The other night I sat down and went through all my slings taking images. I really enjoy doing this, taking notes, keeping a journal of what I've done and what I plan to do. How many of you enjoy recording this type of visual data with your slings?

Once I got through my other slings and worked my way to my GBBs, I got out a ruler to determine size. It did not go well...maybe next time I’ll try a set of calipers. I need to figure out a method for measuring slings inside a small cube, when the sling is not nicely stretched out. So I had to fall back on visual estimations. Not bad though, I’m actually good at estimating distances, a skill I had to learn in a previous career...

BBC996C7-3F28-496A-9B4C-46EAFC00834E.jpeg

So for the most part, I was doing my best to estimate size of each of my slings. I wanted to get a grasp of their growth after 7 months under my care. Is the growth steady, is it slow...or about right? These are details that will become apparent with future groups of slings...

0DF9FF64-ED55-44CB-AACF-18C403B9F07E.jpeg

Of the 5 slings, 3 of them are really getting close to the 3” mark. 1 is definitely on the far side of 2.5” and 2 of them are close close close to 2.75”. Every time I tried to measure them, they'd slip into their webbing or show a stress pose...I mean seriously.

32507DEA-8C53-4100-B960-FC16798C2E6A.jpeg

My two remaining slings are on the smaller side. GBB #3 has had a rough go of it, and is behind the others in size. It’s right around 1.5” to 1.75”. Hard to tell with that one...I hides alot more than the others. I only saw it real good for the first time in months...last week. Now it is regularly on the sides of the container...nicely stretched for measuring...then I get out the ruler, and it slips into its web tunnel.

5C5631BC-7E3D-465E-87A3-A2AE3B1C5EE7.jpeg

The last sling is gangly and I’m waiting for it to moult into its blue legs...just one moult away from being there. That sling is over 2”, and tight around 2.25” +/-. It is way over due for a moult...what gives?

16B172B5-A7D4-4DB2-8BE6-DEF83FBE088E.jpeg

I don’t know if this is good growth or not. This is my first group of Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens slings.

I keep them in 4X4X4 AMAC boxes. The cabinet where I keep them is temperature regulated to 79 degrees. And I usually feed them twice a week.

Those of you that have kept this species, what have you seen? What growth rates have you experienced? How have you kept your slings?

Curious minds would like to know.