Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens Care Sheet ( Slings )

SchubertHelm

Arachnosquire
image.jpg I recently received a new Green Bottle Blue and would like to know more about caring for this species as a sling. There is ample information regarding adults of this species but no much written about them at this vulnerable stage. I am currently keeping my 3/4" sling in a 1/2 litre deli cup filled with 2 inches of bone dry coco coir substrate. I cut a hole out of the lid and glued a screen over the top for ventilation. The ambient humidity is a near constant 50%. I plan on giving it a pin-head cricket daily and refraining from watering the enclosure until it reaches a leg span of 3 inches. The tarantula has spent its first day roaming around the top edge of the container which I thought was strange for a terrestrial species. Is this a sign that I have done something wrong or just common behaviour for C.Cyaneopubescens? Any good suggestions will be put to use.

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
Wandering is normal, after a few days or so it should start webbing stuff up. I would suggest adding a water dish, and some stuff for it to attatch web to. Ie twigs, or fake plant.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Place a little cork bark in for it to web and build hide. Keep substrate dry and provide a soda lid for water dish. Keep at room temps and hey presto.

This is an extremely easy species to keep.you are doing fine already. It will settle. Enjoy!

cold blood

Staff member
I cut a hole out of the lid and glued a screen over the top for ventilation
That's more work than you needed to do. I would suggest replacing the top with a new one with just a few holes in the top. Conversely, pop a couple rings of holes around the sides of the cup.

The ambient humidity is a near constant 50%
Humidity isn't something that needs to be measured or even paid attention to.

I plan on giving it a pin-head cricket daily and refraining from watering the enclosure until it reaches a leg span of 3 inches
Feed it as often as you like, but the more you feed in a short time will only increase the amount of time the sling spends pre-molt fasting.

You should never worry about moisture, but you should always have a water dish as soon as the enclosure allows for it...yours allows for it.
The tarantula has spent its first day roaming around the top edge of the container which I thought was strange for a terrestrial species. Is this a sign that I have done something wrong or just common behaviour for C.Cyaneopubescens?
Its normal for all tarantulas introduced to a new enclosure.

One thing about GBB though is that they are prolific webbers, and providing anchor points will help them create a nicer home. So I would add either a few sticks or small plants.
Place a little cork bark in for it to web and build hide.
Yeah, I would add something as well that it can get under...this could be a piece of wood, or as simple as a plastic leaf.

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
View attachment 240533 I recently received a new Green Bottle Blue and would like to know more about caring for this species as a sling. There is ample information regarding adults of this species but no much written about them at this vulnerable stage. I am currently keeping my 3/4" sling in a 1/2 litre deli cup filled with 2 inches of bone dry coco coir substrate. I cut a hole out of the lid and glued a screen over the top for ventilation. The ambient humidity is a near constant 50%. I plan on giving it a pin-head cricket daily and refraining from watering the enclosure until it reaches a leg span of 3 inches. The tarantula has spent its first day roaming around the top edge of the container which I thought was strange for a terrestrial species. Is this a sign that I have done something wrong or just common behaviour for C.Cyaneopubescens? Any good suggestions will be put to use.
While green bottle blue's do hail from the venezuelan desert, they are slings, and by such they have not developed their impervious waxy layer to prevent dehydration, do not keep them bone dry, one thing that works for me is to use my tongs to penetrate down to the bottom of the substrate, and then fill this with water up to the top, it will then soak in the substrate and this creates a condition where the t can enter that area if need be, without really, soaking the substrate.

"The ambient humidity is a near constant 50%"

From where did thou obtain such a mystical device to facilitate this wizardry?

"I am currently keeping my 3/4" sling";

"refraining from watering the enclosure until it reaches a leg span of 3 inches."

You've got this the other way around, the sling needs a more humid enclosure until they are about 2-3 inches when they have developed their waxy epicuticle, and then from here they can transition to being kept dryer.

SchubertHelm

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the quick feedback everyone. I'll stick a few twigs and a small water bowl in there for the little sucker.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
But a water dish is a open source of water and also provides humidity ;)

Just dont go OTT with ventilation

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
But a water dish is a open source of water and also provides humidity ;)

Just dont go OTT with ventilation
it's more stressful on an sling to have to constantly drink water to replenish liquids lost due to evaporation, also, a water dish doesn't specify the size, or give any details, do you really think a small little bottle cap can elevate the humidity sufficiently in a little jar? I find that most slings are opportunistic burrowers if you give them one, i personally think it is "good" for a sling to be able to sit in their burrow, which is humidified by adding water every week or so, rather than relying just on a water dish, which i don't believe will elevate humidity sufficiently, i will concede that a larger water dish in a larger enclosure will elevate humidity sufficiently, but i just don't think a small bottle cap can do that job. There are also some inherent issues with relying on a water dish, as it will enable you to have to reduce your ventilation, since that is the mechanism of action for humidity, water in the earth does not rely on reduced air circulation because it is shielded inherently.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
it's more stressful on an sling to have to constantly drink water to replenish liquids lost due to evaporation, also, a water dish doesn't specify the size, or give any details, do you really think a small little bottle cap can elevate the humidity sufficiently in a little jar?
Yes. Given the right amount of ventilation.

And as for 2-3" is a bit much. I would ease up on humidity at 1.5"

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
But our bibles says 2 inches sir, you dare offset the great stan by a half inch?
I use the metric system. I dont have a clue what I am on about.

Lets make it a bit more simple. I wouldnt worry once it is past spiderling stage. As a 2-3 inch juv I doubt it would rely so much on humidity. Think of what size they would be when cannibalism starts and they leave the burrow. Lets face it, its dry out there :bag:

Last edited by a moderator:

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lets make it a bit more simple. I wouldnt worry once it is past spiderling stage. As a 2-3 inch juv I doubt it would rely so much on humidity. Think of what size they would be when cannibalism starts and they leave the burrow. Lets face it, its dry out there :bag:
You have to define what is past spiderling stage, by being vague we actually make things more complex, if you acknowledge that a range is the reality, then you can utilize specificity to create simple explanations, while having the safe haven that you're plus or minus what you believe in. I would not necessarily accept an appeal to nature argument, I have watched many videos of baboon tarantulas, who represent the epitome of a desert environment, and while they do survive, their abdomens are always really shriveled up, so, not necessarily an ideal situation.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I can agree with WC specimens but with an open water source always available in captivity, then hydration isnt an issue. Anyway I wont argue with you. As I also believe humidity is good with spiderlings. However in my own experience with this species they hated moist substrate. So I wouldnt expect it to burrow in it.

cold blood

Staff member
it's more stressful on an sling to have to constantly drink water to replenish liquids lost due to evaporation
A water dish doesn't make anything more stressful...its a safety net that assures the t always has adequate hydration.
a water dish doesn't specify the size, or give any details, do you really think a small little bottle cap can elevate the humidity sufficiently in a little jar?
Yes, even at small sizes a GBB sling doesn't need as much moisture as other slings...by 1" they can indeed, be kept dry.

There are also some inherent issues with relying on a water dish
I don't see these issues.

But our bibles says 2 inches sir, you dare offset the great stan by a half inch?
bible??

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A water dish doesn't make anything more stressful...its a safety net that assures the t always has adequate hydration.

Yes, even at small sizes a GBB sling doesn't need as much moisture as other slings...by 1" they can indeed, be kept dry.

I don't see these issues.

bible??
Tarantula keepers guide yeah, it's a bit of tongue and cheek, that comment, as everyone has their own opinion about that sort of thing.

The issue is that the tarantula has to replenish liquids more often lost to evaporation with bone dry substrate and a water dish, whereas having a humid area for the tarantula to burrow down, they are not facing evaporative losses, i do not support keeping an sling bone dry with a water dish, not at the 3/4 of an inch size, larger sure, 1.5, ok, but not 3/4ths of an inch

SchubertHelm

Arachnosquire
If a RH of 45% to 55% isn't adequate for a Green Bottle Blue sling than what would we say is? If the humidity should be higher would it be better to do this with the aid of a humidifier or saturation of the substrate? Im starting to think a water bowl isn't needed as all my other slings have gotten enough hydration from their diet and the water bowl only serves as a poor producer of humidity and a possible pool for a sling to pull a Brian Jones in.

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If a RH of 45% to 55% humidity isn't adequate for a Green Bottle Blue sling than what would we say is? If the humidity should be higher would it be better to do this with the aid of a humidifier or saturation of the substrate? Im starting to think a water bowl isn't needed as all my other slings have gotten enough hydration from their diet and the water bowl only serves as a poor producer of humidity and a possible pool for a sling to pull a Brian Jones in.
I would not rely on a humidity gauge, just pour a little water down one corner once a week, the way i like to do it is to penetrate with the tongs down to the bottom, with visiblity of the t before i do, and then fill this to the top with water, it will quickly absorb into the substrate, with the amount of ventilation you should have, that water bowl will not do much to elevate humidity IMO

cold blood

Staff member
If a RH of 45% to 55% isn't adequate for a Green Bottle Blue sling than what would we say is?
Don't measure humidity numbers...ever..for any t. Its really not relevant. If you are that concerned, just do exactly what bishop said and dampen a small area of the sub, keeping most of it dry. This is what I also do for all but arid slings.

Simplify...over-thinking things is the number one worry/nemesis of a new keeper.

Im starting to think a water bowl isn't needed as all my other slings have gotten enough hydration from their diet and the water bowl only serves as a poor producer of humidity and a possible pool for a sling to pull a Brian Jones in
The water dish isn't for humidity, its a safety net to ensure that hydration is always available...no, a dish isn't NEEDED, but it makes things a whole lot easier and especially for newer keepers, helps keep their ts alive. No dish and you are now walking a line.

Slings, heck, adults can't drown, they actually float.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Qv5zcohINUo/maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

SchubertHelm

Arachnosquire
I would not rely on a humidity gauge, just pour a little water down one corner once a week, the way i like to do it is to penetrate with the tongs down to the bottom, with visiblity of the t before i do, and then fill this to the top with water, it will quickly absorb into the substrate, with the amount of ventilation you should have, that water bowl will not do much to elevate humidity IMO
Tho if the RH in a room and therefore the enclosure is below 30% and adding water to the enclosure brings it up to 50% would this not be an inadequate RH based on what you said about the wax epicuticule not being developed enough for the spider to be healthy in that dry of an environment. If the RH of the room was 70% would the sling's enclosure still need to be watered? I'm trying to understand why a "humidity gauge" is not necessary.