Choice between arboreals

Dangergirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If I had to pick a first arboreal, what would be better ?
A Chevron (P.cambridgei) or Sri Lankan (P.fasciata)

I'm worried about the speed of the Sri Lankan :?

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
go for the cambridgei! Psalmos are a comparable to pokies, just with out the venom strength. Not to mention they get big and are absolutely gorgeous! I have a P. cambridgei and I don't have a P. fasciata but I do have a P. regalis and I think the P. cambridgei is a much cooler T. :)

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
If I had to pick a first arboreal, what would be better ?
A Chevron (P.cambridgei) or Sri Lankan (P.fasciata)

I'm worried about the speed of the Sri Lankan :?
At the end of the day whichever you think is nicer! The cambrdgei is a tad easier to keep as far as temp & humidity goes!! but that shouldnt make a diff! you shouldnt handle either of them without a bunch of experiance! as for speed, they about the same!

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Psalmopoeus cambridgei are every bit as fast as a Poecilotheria fasciata (maybe faster). I have much more difficulty with my cambridgei slings than ANYTHING else I own (and the list is extensive). They are fast and fun. Di

belljar77

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have to vote for the cambridgei too. Mine's starting to show adult coloration, and it's just beautiful. Eats alot, growing fast. One of my favorites.

Dangergirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Done ! My Chevy is arriving on Tuesday :razz:

So, this will be my first arboreal. Do I give it a cork bark tree/branch ? Does it web a hide ? Can anyone post some pics of their chevy's enclosure please ??

Thanks again for all the super advice !!:worship:

Blayde

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Only other difference is temper. I have found chevrons to be a little more defensive than pokies.

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
Done ! My Chevy is arriving on Tuesday :razz:

So, this will be my first arboreal. Do I give it a cork bark tree/branch ? Does it web a hide ? Can anyone post some pics of their chevy's enclosure please ??

Thanks again for all the super advice !!:worship:
I keep mine in a perfect sq enclosure! with a couple branches from top corner to bottom corner! i dont find these guys as arborial as said to be! most of mine do alot of webbing where there 'homes' are in a corner on the floor! even with a bit of burrowing involved in making their homes! they also tend to put substrate all over there webbing! Ive bred them a couple times in this kind of setup! But i do find them arborial when small! they will usually make a home at the top of the usually plastic container!

Hope this helps!

Dangergirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks Spiderworld :razz:
I'll just see what he/she chooses to do ... seems each T can have a different "tarrantuality" (personality)
Its size is around 7-8cm or around 3 inches.

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
Thanks Spiderworld :razz:
I'll just see what he/she chooses to do ... seems each T can have a different "tarrantuality" (personality)
Its size is around 7-8cm or around 3 inches.
Sweet! no prob!

At least this thread didnt land up in a heated debate! LOL

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
At the end of the day whichever you think is nicer! The cambrdgei is a tad easier to keep as far as temp & humidity goes!! but that shouldnt make a diff! you shouldnt handle either of them without a bunch of experiance! as for speed, they about the same!
Each climate is very similar. Not a factor you need to worry about.
psalmo chev.
http://www.worldtravelguide.net/country/282/climate/Caribbean/Trinidad-and-Tobago.html

P. fasciata
http://www.worldtravelguide.net/country/260/climate/Indian-Subcontinent/Sri-Lanka.html

Id reccomend the psalmo. much more forgiving venom and not as defensive from my own experience. P. irmina 2" female vs P. regalis 5" male and P. ornata 3" male. I believe the pokies are faster by far. IMO

From my experience with the Ts above.
Pokies are more "aggressive"
Psalmos are more cautious.
i have not spooked my ornata once but always spook my irminia when its feeding time.:cool:

Dangergirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Chevron house made today

Here's the house I built today for my Chevron. Living in SA I cant order much to be shipped here from the USA :eek:
so I made it myself {D

Last edited:

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
wow that is very appealing to the eye! I love those red vents. Reminds me of something on a ship.. Is it glass?

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Awesome enclosure! I would add a bark hide, though I recently moved my two P. cambridgei into enclosures with nothing but soil to see what they'd do... One made a really neat web and dirt tunnel and hide on the ground, and the other likes to chill out in the open.

Personally, I think you made the right choice! I LOVE my P. cambridgei... so far, they have both been very cooperative and easy to care for. I have had them since they were 1/2" or so, and now they are 3-3.5". Very gorgeous T... they go through some neat colour changes! How big is the one you're getting?

Dangergirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My Chevy is around 7-8cm (just over 3 inches) and I'm going to call him Tristan {D

I built the enclosure with 6mm glass, had holes cut and added the vents which I found in the cupboard section of my hardware store. I'd love to get some of those nice metal vents you guys are using. But I figured the brown vents would look nice once I added the decorations and bark etc.

I did have a bit of a Friday 13th moment yesterday and set my cork bark alight trying to bake it in the oven :?:mad: ... so I'm off today to get my other bits and pieces in order to decorate the enclosure. I'll post pics once I'm done !

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very nice work on your enclsure. I can't wait to see Tristan. At three inches he may be large enough to begin spending more time higher than ground level. My big girl has finally begun living in a more visible fashion. You're going to LOVE your new Psalmo. Di

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
From my experience with the Ts above.
Pokies are more "aggressive"
Psalmos are more cautious.
Have to disagree with the above.All the Psalmopoeus adults I have kept here (4 species) tend to have quite a serious attitude problem and will become very defensive if disturbed.It's important to have a very long pair of forceps/tongs when doing cage maintenance with this genus.
Poecilotheria on the other hand in my experience is very nervous and skittish but when housed properly will 90% of the time run and hide in there retreats.Rarely every do I see my adult Poecilotheria give a threat display.
I think if you keep Psalms and can deal with there speed/behavior your pretty much good to keep any tarantulas hehe!The only thing you want to be careful with when it comes to Poecs and other old world species is the venom can be much much more potent.Much respect for these spider's is needed ;]
-Chris

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Have to disagree with the above.All the Psalmopoeus adults I have kept here (4 species) tend to have quite a serious attitude problem and will become very defensive if disturbed.It's important to have a very long pair of forceps/tongs when doing cage maintenance with this genus.
Poecilotheria on the other hand in my experience is very nervous and skittish but when housed properly will 90% of the time run and hide in there retreats.Rarely every do I see my adult Poecilotheria give a threat display.
I think if you keep Psalms and can deal with there speed/behavior your pretty much good to keep any tarantulas hehe!The only thing you want to be careful with when it comes to Poecs and other old world species is the venom can be much much more potent.Much respect for these spider's is needed ;]
-Chris
I completely agree with this statment.. My pokies are like kittens compared to any of my Psalmos.. Though my experiance with the pokies are more limited than with the Psalmos.. I only have a 5" P. regalis that I raise from a 1" sling, 4 P. ornata slings that I have had for a few weeks now, & a P. formosa sling that I have had for a whole day now..
IME pokies are skittish & quick to run & hide.. I have not once recieved a threat from my any of my pokies.. Not saying I never will.. Just saying I have not yet.. (That I can remember off hand..)

I had received my first Psalmo a few months into the hobby.. Now I have one 5" female, 1 juvie, 2 slings P. irminia.. One 5" female P. pulcher, One 5" female P. cambridgei, One juvie P. reduncus..

The reduncus is the most calm out of all the Psalmos.. IME.. Its still feisty.. But nothing compaired to the P. pulcher..

From 1-4 the meanest to more calm of the Psalmos...

1) pulcher
2) irminia
3) cambridgei
4) reduncus

Im not saying all are like this.. This is just from my personal experiance..

Last edited:

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree as well and stated that in my earlier post, Chris. She only gave us a choice of Psalmopoeus and Poecilotheria fasciata. I think the Psalmos are much more fun than Poecilotheria. So far I've had a P.cambridgei loose in the house twice and my husband had to remove our built-in dishwasher to get her the first time. Fast, fast, fast, but beautiful and fun to own. Di