Choice between arboreals

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Have to disagree with the above.All the Psalmopoeus adults I have kept here (4 species) tend to have quite a serious attitude problem and will become very defensive if disturbed.It's important to have a very long pair of forceps/tongs when doing cage maintenance with this genus.
Poecilotheria on the other hand in my experience is very nervous and skittish but when housed properly will 90% of the time run and hide in there retreats.Rarely every do I see my adult Poecilotheria give a threat display.
I think if you keep Psalms and can deal with there speed/behavior your pretty much good to keep any tarantulas hehe!The only thing you want to be careful with when it comes to Poecs and other old world species is the venom can be much much more potent.Much respect for these spider's is needed ;]
-Chris
I completely agree with this statment.. My pokies are like kittens compared to any of my Psalmos.. Though my experiance with the pokies are more limited than with the Psalmos.. I only have a 5" P. regalis that I raise from a 1" sling, 4 P. ornata slings that I have had for a few weeks now, & a P. formosa sling that I have had for a whole day now..
IME pokies are skittish & quick to run & hide.. I have not once recieved a threat from my any of my pokies.. Not saying I never will.. Just saying I have not yet.. (That I can remember off hang..)

I had recieved my first Psalmo a few months into the hobby.. Now I have one 5" female, 1 juvie, 2 slings P. irminia.. One 5" female P. pulcher, One 5" female P. cambridgei, One juvie P. reduncus..

The reduncus is the most calm out of all the Psalmos.. IME.. Its still feisty.. But nothing compaired to the P. pulcher..

From 1-4 the meanest to more calm of the Psalmos...

1) pulcher
2) irminia
3) cambridgei
4) reduncus

Im not saying all are like this.. This is just from my personal experiance..

I think the P. ornata I have has issues.. If it feels me coming it puts up a threat immediately. IDK if thats because it a 2" male?! But Id have to guess every T is different. My 2" female P. irminia is a baby compared to my P. ornata. Ive held my P. irminia and she is likes to run away. I am no expert on psalmos in anyway. For one. Ive only got P. irminia. Most are slings. Could be that from what ive seen with pokies. If they are housed in a bark tube style "burrow" they will defend it. At different sizes you get different additudes. along with M/F. Im sure you and redneck know what your talking about. Ill take your word for it when it comes to experience. Thanks for the differing opinion without tearing me a new one! ;P Ill bow out and say your both more experienced than i am on the subject. :clap:

Chris, what sp. of adult Pokies are you reffering to? Or should i say what sp are you keeping? Any of them have adittude problems? I have kept a male P. regalis that would for the most part run away and hide. Never gave me a threat until he matured and i had to pack him for shipping.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Chris, what sp. of adult Pokies are you reffering to? Or should i say what sp are you keeping? Any of them have adittude problems? .
Well I recently sold a decent chunk of my Poecilotheria collection but I have or did have adults of regalis,ornata,rufilata,tigrinaweselli,fasciata,pederseni,subfusca,metallica..lol you get the idea ;]
I'd say the only times they are really aggressive is when there guarding eggsacks.Also I think I have seen a couple very large rufilata females give a threat display when cornered.For the most part there just super nervous.Poecilotheria likes there privacy!
-Chris

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congrats on the cambridgei :) I'm getting mine the week after next, same size. Totally impatient :D

Dangergirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I agree as well and stated that in my earlier post, Chris. She only gave us a choice of Psalmopoeus and Poecilotheria fasciata. I think the Psalmos are much more fun than Poecilotheria. So far I've had a P.cambridgei loose in the house twice and my husband had to remove our built-in dishwasher to get her the first time. Fast, fast, fast, but beautiful and fun to own. Di
Hi Di - Unfortunately I'm limited as to what I can get here, only have access to two or three breeders and T keeping is illegal in my state :mad: