Chilobrachys fimbriatus - awesome OW!

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
They do not grow to a similar size...they're much smaller. And they are heavy webbers, but not to this degree.
My girl (D. fasciatum) passed away at around the 5" mark. Is that big for that sp? What do C. fimbriatus max out at? I thought it was around 5-6" Am I wrong?

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Chilobrachys spp. in general are pretty high-strung and don't hesitate to bite. However, the other half of the time they freak out and race off which can lead to escapes if you don't know about them. Anyone want to read some, I made a thread a while back about them with some more info:

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/a-closer-look-at-chilobrachys-fimbriatus-ow-fossorial.278865/

I raised this one from a tiny sling with a male and, although I lost the sac, have found this species easy to keep and work with. Then again, I soaked up every bit of information I could find about them before I jumped the gun and ordered them. Never regretted it since! They're beautiful, often visible and if left alone easy to care for.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Any ceratogyrus, E. pachypus or any Pterinochilus with the exception of murinus would be the best choices for a first OW :)
I owned a P. lugardi many years ago. It was my 2nd T and it was very defensive. I have 2 P. chordatus just now and they are both much more defensive than my P. murinus.

I would say any ceratogyrus is probably a better starter OW.

That said, there is no telling what your gonna get. At least it will be pretty heheh

basin79

ArachnoGod
Mine has made a burrow under a piece of driftwood. Beautiful T, but her behaviour is rather nasty when I have to do rehousings.
I'll give her some cork bark to use or not use. It's up to her.

I'm used to defensive T's. Had/have some spirited individuals.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Do these require a hide or will they burrow given enough sub?
Offer no anchor points and you'll end up with a skittish pet hole. Offer a few anchor points and you'll get webbing, but still a pet hole. Offer plenty of anchor points and not only will they never burrow, but they'll be out constantly and are far less skittish.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'll give her some cork bark to use or not use. It's up to her.

I'm used to defensive T's. Had/have some spirited individuals.
Don't worry - if that T gets seriously annoyed, you'll hear it. These do stridulate! :)

basin79

ArachnoGod
Don't worry - if that T gets seriously annoyed, you'll hear it. These do stridulate! :)
I do try and not annoy my sweethearts. My King baboon girl used to warn me via audio she wasn't happy though when she deemed me trespassing on private property.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I owned a P. lugardi many years ago. It was my 2nd T and it was very defensive. I have 2 P. chordatus just now and they are both much more defensive than my P. murinus.

I would say any ceratogyrus is probably a better starter OW.

That said, there is no telling what your gonna get. At least it will be pretty heheh
E. pachypus is probably the least defensive "Baboon", with Ceratogyrus coming in second. The whole genus of Pterinochilus are defensive, but only murinus seems to be prone to bolting IME. If housed correctly they should retreat to their burrows or give a threat posture, but I have yet to see my two chordatus or lugardi bolting like a murinus.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Very nice photo! I really like this species and might be one of the only OWs in my collection. Next time I head over to India, I'd like to find this, and other, tarantulas!

I'm guessing they're more of a webber than a burrower even if given ample substrate?

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Ours was awesome...until it burrowed. Now it's just a 10 gallon with a hole in it.
I still love it though, this was my dream T for a long time.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Mine is a sling but I haven't seen it since I brought it home and rehoused it. I know it's molted (.5 when I got it) and it eats. I hope to one day see it again. :D

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My girl (D. fasciatum) passed away at around the 5" mark. Is that big for that sp? What do C. fimbriatus max out at? I thought it was around 5-6" Am I wrong?
According to befriended breeders they can get to a little over 6" adult females that is. My girl is a whopping 6 right now.

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
Mine doesn't burrow at all, even though it has 8 inches of substrate to burrow in (she's 3inches).

I'm glad because I can always see her. But I just feel like all that depth is wasted lol.

Octagon

Arachnoperson
Since not everyone checks picture threads, here are some three pics I took today of "Hera", the girl molted a few weeks ago and was out. Took the opportunity to get some pics of her and then fed her. Enjoy!

Beautiful pictures.