Chilobrachys fimbriatus - awesome OW!

netr

Arachnoknight
Happy to see your fimbs are still doing well, Stormy! Such a pretty species.
The only Chilobrachys I have is a juvenile guangxiensis, though there's a sp. "Vietnam blue" in the post. I'm growing to like them a lot. Great shape, size, colours and the temperament is impressive.

@magicmed, the OW thing is a plunge you just have to take sooner or later, if you're interested in keeping them. I don't think the temperament or venom potency or speed of the spiders should strictly hold you back. If you know how to care for a docile species then you know how to care for an OW. Really, one ought to think of all tarantulas as if they were OW. You, a great, thundering intruder on their safe territory - you should expect them to attempt to defend themselves and give you everything they've got in the process. So all you need to do is be a few steps ahead. Use secure rehousing methods like the bag, or a container within a container. One hobby tool that I consider indispensible is simply a long wire tie, which can be used for getting all sorts of things done safely.

This is to say: the NW-OW distinction begins to lose its significance very sharply once a keeper has the basics nailed down. Don't want it to bite or escape? Don't give it the chance, then. No need to rule out keeping all these lovely species altogether!

Footnote: although most of my collection consists of large slings and juveniles, I'd still like to point out that my nastiest individuals comprise a pair of Nhandu coloratovillosus. At time of writing, they out-grump all my OW spiders (Poecilotheria, Chilobrachys, Haplopelma, Pelinobius, Ceratogyrus, Monocentropus, Heterothele...)

Last edited:

louise f

Arachnoangel
Don't want it to bite or escape? Don't give it the chance, then.
Hey there friend, Long time since you been here, Nice to see you. :)

No i would guess no one would like to get bitten or have escapes, but it can happen no matter how careful you are.
I know you can do a whole lot to prevent a bite or escape. But that`s just not always enough. You can be unlucky.
Now, i have never been bitten but I`ve had my shares of escapes. The T is always faster than a human being if it wants to be.:)

netr

Arachnoknight
Hej med dig Louise, good to see you too! Nice to drop by here again.

You're right of course, accidents do happen. We went away for a few days some time ago and the cats pushed the P. formosa container off the shelf, knocking it open. We searched for a few hours and eventually found it in the laundry basket, less than a metre from the crash site. Fortunately, it was very cooperative. Our T shelf now has a closing door! I also had a GBB sling escape during a feed and run along the corridor at about 100km/h. I caught it just as it was about to get under the freezer. :eek: So it happens - but I say we can reduce the chance more than many might expect.

basin79

ArachnoGod
So I'm thinking of burrowing a fake fern plant that has posable leaves and bend them to different heights for her to use as anchor points. I'll post a pic when I've done it. I think it might be too much but see what you think.

louise f

Arachnoangel
but I say we can reduce the chance more than many might expect
Of course we can. And no matter species OW or NW always be treated with the same respect. :) Good you find those T`s again. I hate when they are on the run. :D
And a Pokie is not the funniest to have hiding somewhere in the house. :eek:

petkokc

Arachnosquire
From my experience, they are the most passive of all Chilobrachys I own. She will almost never move when I open her enclosure, she takes her time with catching offered roach and always holds her ground rather then escapes when she feels threatened (instant threat posture).

basin79

ArachnoGod
Now I know this looks stupid but after reading if I supplied anchor points the T would web up and stay out I've done this.

The plant is buried under 3" of substrate and as you can see brought up at various places to offer these anchor points. Could this work?

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
Now I know this looks stupid but after reading if I supplied anchor points the T would web up and stay out I've done this.

The plant is buried under 3" of substrate and as you can see brought up at various places to offer these anchor points. Could this work?
I don't see why not.

You can also get some mini bamboo sticks (or dowels). and stick them in there as anchor points.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I don't see why not.

You can also get some mini bamboo sticks (or dowling). and stick them in there as anchor points.
Good do, cheers. Obviously looks rubbish now but in a month or 2 if she utilises the anchor points it'd look immense.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Haha, yeah looks bad ass when they've webbed it all up.
Had a few T's that webbed up great. It's special. My adult female Macrothele Gigas also knew how to make her home look phenomenal.

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
Had a few T's that webbed up great. It's special. My adult female Macrothele Gigas also knew how to make her home look phenomenal.
I love lots of web. My only one that webs a lot, is my fimbriatus. I would get other chilobrachys, but I just find the other species so unappealing...

Think I will have to get more fimbriatus.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I love lots of web. My only one that webs a lot, is my fimbriatus. I would get other chilobrachys, but I just find the other species so unappealing...

This girl used to web up a treat. Massively regret selling her. Gorgeous T.

P.Crassipes girl.

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
This girl used to web up a treat. Massively regret selling her. Gorgeous T.

P.Crassipes girl.

I'm too fussy haha.

I won't keep a T without blatant markings, unless it's brightly coloured - like versicolor or T.gigas.

It is pretty, but not something for me.

Maybe a Gbb, but I really wish they'd keep their batman butt!

basin79

ArachnoGod
I'm too fussy haha.

I won't keep a T without blatant markings, unless it's brightly coloured - like versicolor or T.gigas.

It is pretty, but not something for me.

Maybe a Gbb, but I really wish they'd keep their batman butt!
I was after an Aussie Whistler for ages so she was a real gem for me.

Can't wait for tomorrow now. Wanted one of these for quite a while.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
but I just find the other species so unappealing...

i know what you mean.. have you ever checked Chilobrachys sp. electric blue? they are the only other Chilo i really like.

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
i know what you mean.. have you ever checked Chilobrachys sp. electric blue? they are the only other Chilo i really like.
Yeah, I was about to buy two. But idk, they aren't nice enough for me to buy without seeing in real life first. If the entire leg were blue, would be a different story.

Bought two H.pulchripes and two H.sp Bach Ma instead :wacky:

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
My gorgeous girl has arrived.

They don't have any remarkable markings, nor remarkable colouration. But for some reason they just look so good haha, I can't explain why. But they just look perfect.

basin79

ArachnoGod
They don't have any remarkable markings, nor remarkable colouration. But for some reason they just look so good haha, I can't explain why. But they just look perfect.
I think they do have stunning colours and markings. The contrast between the carapace and legs is striking as is the abdomen markings.

Not that a T has to be particularly colourful or have markings to be stunning of course.