Chemicals and animals

angry banjo 66

Arachnopeon
Would reptile room cleaning with Clorox wipes or diluted bleach be ok still with a spider I just put him in the reptile room a week ago was gunna clean but I don't wanna harm her? Thanks

angry banjo 66

Arachnopeon
Ok do you have a safe recommendation? Maybe diluted hydrogen peroxide? I can move her outta the room .

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter

angry banjo 66

Arachnopeon

TheraMygalo

Accipitridae
Arachnosupporter +
If you fear possible indoor fumes, use a product that has biodegradble certification aswell as some organic ingredients. Soap is a known “safe” pesticide for indoor plants. Some soaps come with better certifications. Anything on a label that says not to use on food surfaces, is a warning for me. Black soap is very popular in the “organic” horticulture community.

I use a biodegrable dish soap for everything that might come in contact with my Tarantulas, including my feeders habitats. The brand in my province is Biovert. Is it 100% worry free? I have no guarantee. It does not say Tarantula safe on the label. But if it is good for the fish in the river beds, I feel it is ok for my invertebrate collection.

Good air circulation and exchange can make a difference.

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
I ment the room she's in I know things give off toxic fumes by cleaning the room she's in
My response was because I thought you were going to clean the cages with this stuff . What are you doing that’s causing fumes ? I would clean cages far away.

Last edited:

HOITrance

Arachnosquire
the fumes from bleach can be problematic. at the very least make sure the room is exceptionally well ventilated

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
Also, I Always Stay Clear of the Enclosures Whenever Baked Beans are on the Menu.

Last edited:

LilithArachne

Arachnosquire
Sometimes, if I REALLY have to, I would move the Ts to a separate room, clean and wait and air out the fumes, then move the Ts back in to their room.
Call me paranoid :wacky:
Usually I just avoid their space or use some friendlier products that don't give off the fumes and such

fcat

Arachnodemon
Arachnosupporter
Pretty sure hydrogen peroxide just turns to water but I did get a C in chemistry so....

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Can we back up here? @angry banjo 66 By cleaning the room, you intend to sterilize it? From word go, chlorine bleach is a lousy cleaning agent, worse than useless. Big clunky ineffective molecules that can't even effectively wet surfaces. And it's noxious. As others have mentioned, well ventilated room or fumes and vapors filter mask NIOSH approved is recommended. If you want to sterilize with it .25 to 1% bleach concentrate is recommended and thoroughly wetting all surfaces, not just wiping, is required.
If just spot sterilizing/cleaning, 70% alcohol is far more effective and evaporates in seconds. Same with H2O2 but it will oxidize like bleach, discoloring some surfaces.

Best is determine what your intended purpose is, cleaning or sterilizing or both and what the target(s) are. The recommended cleaning and sterilizing solution is hospital grade liquids or sprays followed up by rinsing off thoroughly with water. For example Vesphene or equivalent.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I appreciate all the input. Just not trying to kill the little girl:)
Out of curiosity, do you have reptiles in your reptile room that you currently use the Clorox wipes or diluted bleach to clean with? I'm wondering if you use a bleach product around your reptiles safely and just concerned about doing the same to a tarantula.

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
Scrub with Hot Water and Elbow Grease, No Toxic Chems Needed.

angry banjo 66

Arachnopeon
Can we back up here? @angry banjo 66 By cleaning the room, you intend to sterilize it? From word go, chlorine bleach is a lousy cleaning agent, worse than useless. Big clunky ineffective molecules that can't even effectively wet surfaces. And it's noxious. As others have mentioned, well ventilated room or fumes and vapors filter mask NIOSH approved is recommended. If you want to sterilize with it .25 to 1% bleach concentrate is recommended and thoroughly wetting all surfaces, not just wiping, is required.
If just spot sterilizing/cleaning, 70% alcohol is far more effective and evaporates in seconds. Same with H2O2 but it will oxidize like bleach, discoloring some surfaces.

Best is determine what your intended purpose is, cleaning or sterilizing or both and what the target(s) are. The recommended cleaning and sterilizing solution is hospital grade liquids or sprays followed up by rinsing off thoroughly with water. For example Vesphene or equivalent.
Both would be nice and the beach was just an example. For actual sterilization I use chlorhexidine for the reptiles. A tad stronger then recommended with extra rinsing. But is that safe around spiders

Scrub with Hot Water and Elbow Grease, No Toxic Chems Needed.
Hot water doesn't kill bacteria though

Also, I Always Stay Clear of the Enclosures Whenever Baked Beans are on the Menu.
Can you imagine if I had to tell my gf the Goliath got out bc I farted?🤣