Chemicals and animals

angry banjo 66

Arachnopeon
I can agree with that. I just have her in the reptile room so was asking. I'll move her when I clean for the day

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
Out of curiosity, do you have reptiles in your reptile room that you currently use the Clorox wipes or diluted bleach to clean with? I'm wondering if you use a bleach product around your reptiles safely and just concerned about doing the same to a tarantula.
Why is bleach needed for reptiles are they extremely dirty ? I’ve never needed anything but occasional dish soap for Ts.
The bleach fumes shouldn’t be good for anything to breathe in .

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Why is bleach needed for reptiles are they extremely dirty ? I’ve never needed anything but occasional dish soap for Ts.
You are replying to the wrong person to ask a question about using bleach for reptiles. I have never cared for a reptile in my life, but then again the original post doesn't mention what kind of reptile(s) are of question so it is impossible to say if the ones the original poster has are extremely dirty. The poop of all reptiles though contain a cocktail of bacteria including salmonella so I would assume then that using a bleach solution would be best for disinfecting reptile enclosures, but since I have no experience with any kind of reptile I do not know if a better alternative is commonly used in the herp keeping community other than vinegar, and as Snark mentioned, good old fashioned isopropyl alcohol.

The original post is very vague. There is no mention about how bleach is being used in the mentioned reptile room to give a good answer on how it would affect a tarantula being kept in the same room. I replied with the assumption bleach wipes or diluted bleach solution would only be used to clean the reptile enclosures and maybe shelving or other furniture in the room. In that case, no, using bleach wipes or solution would cause no harm to a tarantula that would be housed in its own cage of some kind. The small amount of chemical floating in the air would most likely never reach the book lungs to poison it. This reply comes from my own practical hands-on experience using all sorts of cleaning chemicals around my tarantulas and in the room they are kept in, but never used for cleaning the tarantula enclosures themselves.

However, common sense should be used. If enough bleach is used to make an entire room- no matter the size- smell like an over chlorinated swimming pool that would make one's eyes and nose burn, then of course remove the tarantula along with the reptiles that I again would assume would be removed from the room as well prior to disinfection.

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
I can agree with that. I just have her in the reptile room so was asking. I'll move her when I clean for the day
Why is bleach needed for reptiles are they extremely dirty ? More details would be helpful
You are replying to the wrong person to ask a question about using bleach for reptiles. I have never cared for a reptile in my life, but then again the original post doesn't mention what kind of reptile(s) are of question so it is impossible to say if the ones the original poster has are extremely dirty. The poop of all reptiles though contain a cocktail of bacteria including salmonella so I would assume then that using a bleach solution would be best for disinfecting reptile enclosures, but since I have no experience with any kind of reptile I do not know if a better alternative is commonly used in the herp keeping community other than vinegar, and as Snark mentioned, good old fashioned isopropyl alcohol.

The original post is very vague. There is no mention about how bleach is being used in the mentioned reptile room to give a good answer on how it would affect a tarantula being kept in the same room. I replied with the assumption bleach wipes or diluted bleach solution would only be used to clean the reptile enclosures and maybe shelving or other furniture in the room. In that case, no, using bleach wipes or solution would cause no harm to a tarantula that would be housed in its own cage of some kind. The small amount of chemical floating in the air would most likely never reach the book lungs to poison it. This reply comes from my own practical hands-on experience using all sorts of cleaning chemicals around my tarantulas and in the room they are kept in, but never used for cleaning the tarantula enclosures themselves.

However, common sense should be used. If enough bleach is used to make an entire room- no matter the size- smell like an over chlorinated swimming pool that would make one's eyes and nose burn, then of course remove the tarantula along with the reptiles that I again would assume would be removed from the room as well prior to disinfection.
I’ll ask the op about the reptile my bad . I don’t keep them either ..

angry banjo 66

Arachnopeon
Why is bleach needed for reptiles are they extremely dirty ? More details would be helpful

I’ll ask the op about the reptile my bad . I don’t keep them either ..
I gotcha my bad still getting used to forums again my bad. As for the disinfecting yes they do I believe from what I've read they do carry salmonella and sometimes I set said snake on a table or the floor ( not usually) for pics or what have you. I eer on the side of clean so pre spider id just wipe the tables and room with Clorox wipes. I just wasn't sure about with spiders . I don't go full throttle with anything more than chlorehexidene diluted to a light blue Gatorade color. I also sanitize in a separate room. Appreciate the input:)

It was for surfaces. The wipes not actually bleach. Or I use chlorhexidine diluted

No lol my snakes aren't dirty 🤣. It was just a question with thoughts thrown in. Ie. The bleach. I was just asking in terms of vapor. Or if there was something I should definitely stay away from

Can we back up here? @angry banjo 66 By cleaning the room, you intend to sterilize it? From word go, chlorine bleach is a lousy cleaning agent, worse than useless. Big clunky ineffective molecules that can't even effectively wet surfaces. And it's noxious. As others have mentioned, well ventilated room or fumes and vapors filter mask NIOSH approved is recommended. If you want to sterilize with it .25 to 1% bleach concentrate is recommended and thoroughly wetting all surfaces, not just wiping, is required.
If just spot sterilizing/cleaning, 70% alcohol is far more effective and evaporates in seconds. Same with H2O2 but it will oxidize like bleach, discoloring some surfaces.

Best is determine what your intended purpose is, cleaning or sterilizing or both and what the target(s) are. The recommended cleaning and sterilizing solution is hospital grade liquids or sprays followed up by rinsing off thoroughly with water. For example Vesphene or equivalent.
Yes I understand. Just found this my apologies. I was using the bleach as an example per say.i don't beach things much as I don't care for the smell I more use chlorhexidine for sanitizing things . I probably should have specified more. I do keep peroxide in the room for cleaning just not sure how that would fair the wood table 🤣

The Less Man Made Products (Chemicals) introduced the better
I agree. But tables and such have to be sanitary. No overkill I promise

Out of curiosity, do you have reptiles in your reptile room that you currently use the Clorox wipes or diluted bleach to clean with? I'm wondering if you use a bleach product around your reptiles safely and just concerned about doing the same to a tarantula.
I was using Clorox wipes in the same room not on or near them or their racks.no on other surfaces like a table yeah .the actual diluted bleach was more a question bc of the vapors. I wouldnt clean my reptile room with actual beach with any animals in the room .

I would not
It’s NOT worth the risk!
Don't know how I missed this. Sorry just been very busy. I agree with you. Ok so like what do you use to clean a room your spiders are in. I can move her no problem. Appreciate the input

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Trivia: in solutions greater than 10% concentration, chlorine bleach actually loses some biocidal properties.

angry banjo 66

Arachnopeon
Well it does evaporate. Leave a puck in water ( one for the pool) it will change properties right