Chances of survival

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Your 1/4 inch sling doesn’t require a water dish or hide. The simpler you keep it the easier it is to monitor it. Substraight, start a small hole in the sub, keep it slightly moist for slings (I only do this on half the enclosure personally) and it’ll most likely burrow when it’s settled into its new home. I do drop some water on the side of the enclosure and it runs down to the bottom where it has a tunnel system. The goal is to monitor it, but also make it easier for it to catch/find its prey.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
We use scientific names but Honduran Curly is Tliltocatl albopilosus. Venezuelan Suntiger is Psalmopeus Irminia. While P irminias are a bit high strung, it shouldn’t be attacking your fingers through the plastic. Can you post a picture of your set up?

That spider you posted looks fine though, just keep an eye on it
Sorry, but P.irminia can definitely be as high strung as OP says it is. I had two of them, slings of about 5cm DLS and they were absolutely mental. Their setup was optimal but they would actively chase anything that came near their enclosures and feeding time was hell. One actually escaped one time. (It's posted here somewhere if you want the full story)

OP:
Accidents like this happen, don't beat yourself up about it. As far as I can tell by the pictures your sling is fine. It won't eat because it's a little shaken up by the rehouse (not necessarily the substrate avalanche, rehouses are always stressful for them), just give it some time and wait a few days. Top off its waterdish, that's all.

For the P.irminia I would recommend keeping it in a larger enclosure so it has some space to freak out without it straight up running out of there. Preferably a square or rectange shaped one. Give it a nice piece of bark and some good coverage by foliage and it could settle down a bit. I say could, because mine stayed mental. I think they switched persona with a P.murinus or something. :rofl:

Coradams

Arachnoknight
To the OP: I think what you need is a safer method of rehousing. Get a LARGE tub, the new enclosure, the old enclosure, a catch cup and a paint brush and sit on the floor. Put the old enclosure in the the tub. (The tub is so that if your sling bolts, it will still be contained in the tub and easier to catch with the catch cup. You are on the floor so that if your sling does somehow get away, the potential distance to fall is less.) In the tub, open the old enclosure and remove anything that may shift like the water dish, bark, ect. Hold the old enclosure up to the new and gently herd the sling out with the paintbrush. If it doesn't cooperate and does't cra, don't panic. It is safe in the tub. Just use the catch cup to transfer it into the new enclosure. This is how I have always done it and I have never had a problem. Hope this helps!

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Advice #1: If you are going to reuse the substrate from its present enclosure to the new enclosure, DO NOT try to do it with the spider. Move the spider to a catch cup, set up new enclosure, move spider in.

Advice #2: If your substrate is in chunks because of moisture, it is most likely too damp.

Advice #3: substrate is cheap, use new dirt in a new set up. I will add a little of the dirt from the old enclosure just so there is some familiar scent.

Advice #4: Don't 'pour' a spider into its new container. That isn't how it is done. @viper69 is correct in his response.

Advice #5: small slings don't need hides or water. I am guessing you were pouring dirt to try to find it, as it was in a burrow. The burrow is the hide. T albopilosus, especially when young dig, that's their jam. You have
to be slow and careful to move a T that is living in a burrow. Plenty to bone up on here.

there is plenty of info here on how to rehouse Ts or go to Tom Moran's videos.

How is the spider doing?

ApexApinkPanda

Arachnosquire
The spider is doing well. Every time I look now it's actually wandering around the enclosure which is surprising or he's to scared to burrow now :p I opened the enclosure hoping it would let me see it walk to see how bad the leg was and it looks normal now. It didn't even freeze or hide when I opened the enclosure. Just kept going like I wasn't there. Now that it has some moss/bark and sticks I'm wondering if it likes the stimulation of more than just dirt. Blitzkrieg, (the Irma) still wants to kill me.

Blitzkrieg, I'm still shocked he stood still long enough for the picture. It didn't last though.

Attachments

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
The spider is doing well. Every time I look now it's actually wandering around the enclosure which is surprising or he's to scared to burrow now :p I opened the enclosure hoping it would let me see it walk to see how bad the leg was and it looks normal now. It didn't even freeze or hide when I opened the enclosure. Just kept going like I wasn't there. Now that it has some moss/bark and sticks I'm wondering if it likes the stimulation of more than just dirt. Blitzkrieg, (the Irma) still wants to kill me.

Blitzkrieg, I'm still shocked he stood still long enough for the picture. It didn't last though.
The enclosure for the T.albo looks to be a bit on the large side for it, I can't see the spider in the pic of the set up. With small slings of this species you want to keep them on the smaller side so you can monitor them. They also eat better when they're kept smaller.

Can you post a picture of the setup of the P.irminia as well?

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Sorry, but P.irminia can definitely be as high strung as OP says it is. I had two of them, slings of about 5cm DLS and they were absolutely mental. Their setup was optimal but they would actively chase anything that came near their enclosures and feeding time was hell. One actually escaped one time. (It's posted here somewhere if you want the full story)
I agree 100%! This is almost always the case with P. ecclesiasticus, too!