Chances of survival

ApexApinkPanda

Arachnosquire
I have a Nicaraguan Curly hair 1/4" sling that had a really terrible accident. I was moving it to a different container and instead of all the sub straight pooring out a little bit at a time, it all avalanched out. I spent hours last night moving sub straight around with a paint brush with out being able to find it. This morning I was doing the same and finally found it partially stuck in a clump of wet substraight. I tried to dig it out as gently as possible but it was almost like clay. I know at least one leg is broken. It's very lethargic, but can move and walk. It hasn't eaten yet but I'm not supprised. I can't imagine how stressed it is. Do you think it has any chance of surviving and is there anything I can do to help it?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Please post pictures of tarantula and whatever is going on.

what type of substrate are you using??clay is not typical. Intrigued by this....

all you can do is wait and try and clean it off and give it acess to water, if there are any bleeds you can try and stop them with cornstarch. It may live it may not sounds like it was jostled around, can’t say.....

Poonjab

Arachnoking
What made you think it was a good idea to pour substrate into a enclosure that your Tarantula was already in? Also post pics. I have a hunch more is going on here that needs to be addressed

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
not much you can do to help it other than letting it be, not the brightest decisions but i hope for the best

ApexApinkPanda

Arachnosquire
I was trying to poor the substraight out of his container a little at a time so I could find it. Not into it's container. I'm using Lugarti Premium Substrate. I'm new to Tarantula keeping but I'm smart enough not to poor sub straight on top of the little guy. He does seem to be moving better now and it looked like he kicked some hairs when I opened the container; can't say I blame him... They do that when there this little?

Attachments

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Ok. My mistake. But then why were you pouring out substrate to find him?

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
the spider looks ok, but any injury would likely be internal and therefor non-visible, I've also used this pour-out method on T.albo slings but with nearly dry, barely packed cocofiber. When the coco fiber is wet you get the clumping that you experienced and it can be dangerous when trying to dig small amounts of it out at a time.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
At that size if there’s not immediate danger best to leave it be next time. I get it, apprehension about not seeing a small sling, I have one myself that I haven’t seen in two months smaller than yours.

You could try loosening the top layer of substraight (preferably away from a burrowed T if you know where it’s at) and use a spoon to gently remove substraight until you see the T. It‘s a slow method, but better than what you just went through.

As it grows you should expect to start seeing it more, unless it’s a total weirdo, it takes time though. Mines 1/2“ and lucky to see it a few times a month.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Did you even read the original post? I was moving him in to a different container...
He read it. When rehousing We usually use a brush and catch cup or expose a little bit at a time until we get to it and then coax it into a catch cup, pouring is not a preferred method for rehousing.

ApexApinkPanda

Arachnosquire
So far only my Honduran Curly is acting normal from what I've seen and read. It's hidden away in his contain and only comes out at night and retreats as soon as the lights go on. I have one Venezuelan Suntiger that doesn't seem to care about anything. The other one wants to kill me at all costs. Every time I pick up his container he tries to attack my fingers through the plastic. Feeding him is a race to get the bug in and the container closed before it gets to the opening. I belive he'd also eat himself to death if I didn't feed them on a schedule. I guess this was a good lesson learned in a bad way.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
We use scientific names but Honduran Curly is Tliltocatl albopilosus. Venezuelan Suntiger is Psalmopeus Irminia. While P irminias are a bit high strung, it shouldn’t be attacking your fingers through the plastic. Can you post a picture of your set up?

That spider you posted looks fine though, just keep an eye on it

So far only my Honduran Curly is acting normal from what I've seen and read. It's hidden away in his contain and only comes out at night and retreats as soon as the lights go on. I have one Venezuelan Suntiger that doesn't seem to care about anything. The other one wants to kill me at all costs. Every time I pick up his container he tries to attack my fingers through the plastic. Feeding him is a race to get the bug in and the container closed before it gets to the opening. I belive he'd also eat himself to death if I didn't feed them on a schedule. I guess this was a good lesson learned in a bad way.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I have one Venezuelan Suntiger that doesn't seem to care about anything. The other one wants to kill me at all costs. Every time I pick up his container he tries to attack my fingers through the plastic. Feeding him is a race to get the bug in and the container closed before it gets to the opening. I belive he'd also eat himself to death if I didn't feed them on a schedule. I guess this was a good lesson learned in a bad way.
Interesting, definitely not the case with my Psalmopoeus in general. My P. Irmania juvenile is a total sweetheart. I give mine plenty of space with low level foliage and multiple hiding spots they can pick. As mine settle in they eventually appear more frequently, but overall reclusive.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Did you even read the original post? I was moving him in to a different container...
I read it. A couple of times to be honest. Was making sure I was understanding your choice of rehouse procedures. And I still can’t understand why you would think pouring out substrate with your tarantula inside was a good idea. Obviously you’ve learned it was a bad idea. Hope it recovers.

Envoirment

Arachnosquire
Your sling looks fine in the pics you posted, no obvious sign of damage. Hopefully all will be ok. :)

JPG

Auto-Disclaimer Enabled
How big is the enclosure? From the photo it doesn't look like it needed rehousing.

ApexApinkPanda

Arachnosquire
Thats the container It got rehoused in. The other container had no room for water or a hide. Hence, I was moving him.