Species Ceratogyrus darlingi (a.k.a. Ceratogyrus bechuanicus)

NBond1986

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That does'nt make the spider less unpredictable. I kept Ceratogyrus sp. for a long time now and this is a species I am always carefull with. They were very calm and then they started stridulating and run on my hand, I also had one doing a thread pose on my hand, when they were extremly calm 10 sec before, that did'nt happened to me with any other species, so never over estimate your handling skills.

oh, there's no overestimating here.

the spider is quite unpredictable, but that doesn't mean that you can't read it and predict it's behavior to a certain extent.

I was hoping to get a threat display on my hand, but that didn't work out.

jk :)

NBond1986

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

Side view of the 'horn' :)

Hey Phil! Those are some sweet pictures!

Very nice T you got there!

She seems to be a slightly lighter shade than mine.....or is it just the pictures?

Thanks!

PhilR

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

It's just the pictures. They were taken with flash, so she appears a lot lighter than she is in reality :)

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i think this may be one of my next genus ventures. definitely not enough OWs in my collection.

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
the spider is quite unpredictable, but that doesn't mean that you can't read it and predict it's behavior to a certain extent.
Yes, to a certain extend, wich vary from species to species. But never forget that when you think you know everything about spider, there's always one that come and learn you a little more.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Totally beautiful T's. You did a wonderful job getting the pics right so you can really see the horn. I just got two C. brachycephalus slings, I rehoused them, looked at them for a minute, put them with the rest of my T's, went to check on them about 10 minutes later, and both had vanished. I haven't seen either of them since.
I hope that the bracycephalus get half as stunning looking as your darlingi. Great photos!!!!!

PhilR

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a couple of non pet trade C. brachycephalus slings that I was kindly given a while ago, and despite their size, you can plainly see the development of the protruberance. It's fascinating :)

I keep meaning to photograph them, but I don't want to take the chance of losing them whilst I've got the camera in my hand because they are so damn quick!

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Congrats on the fabulous looking T. The horned spp. are definately next on my wish list.

Do they spend all of their time in a burrow like H. Lividum?

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If we compare them to Hysterocrates sp. ''gigas'', wich spend all their time in their burrow ''did'nt see mine for over 8 month now, hiden in its 12 inch burrow'', they're a little more visible, i'll often see their leg close of the entrance of their burrow, waiting for prey, what Hysterocrates sp. dont even do. This said, they very rarely leave totally their burrow.

NBond1986

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Congrats on the fabulous looking T. The horned spp. are definately next on my wish list.

Do they spend all of their time in a burrow like H. Lividum?
If we compare them to Hysterocrates sp. ''gigas'', wich spend all their time in their burrow ''did'nt see mine for over 8 month now, hiden in its 12 inch burrow'', they're a little more visible, i'll often see their leg close of the entrance of their burrow, waiting for prey, what Hysterocrates sp. dont even do. This said, they very rarely leave totally their burrow.

yes.

this one is in a temporary housing.....it's quite shallow, so it can only dig about 5 inches down.
This is why I was able to take it out for photographs.
When I get a deeper home for it, I probably won't see it at all!

The big difference betweent his guy and a newly acquired adult Asian burrower, such as Haplopelma spp.......is that this guy just digs as soon as you put him in! Whereas, asian burrowers will usually wait a while and get accustomed to their enclosure. That's just my observation.

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oooooohh I cant wait to get myself one of these, nice pic. :D

~J

DaveEmory

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My nifty horned African baboon enjoying dinner...
[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s0KjBclStXQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s0KjBclStXQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

PC

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
LMFAO wow. That.. music?.. was somethin' else! haha

x Mr Awesome x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Holy crap nuts that was awesome!!! I'm going to youtube right now to favorite that! If I were that t I'd be gettin' down so hard to that day and night. Nice job man. That literally pissed my dog off. Awesome!

-ben