Species Ceratogyrus darlingi (a.k.a. Ceratogyrus bechuanicus)

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
haha, nothing like a tarantula eating a huge meal while rocking out to slipknot.

i commend the baby for his determination.

james41777

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wanted to feed lizards or frogs..; they are like at least 3 times the price as this mouse!..anyway..felt like trying a mouse at an aggresive T.

Last edited:

NBond1986

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Another photoshoot with my new Canon PowerShot S3

This is a rear horned baby I also got at the LA Bug Fair from Krazy8s....

Before you continue, allow me to warn you that there are some handling pics. If you are easily offended by these, or are going to be a negative nancy about it, then please don't comment. Thank you.

Okay, so here are the pics!!! There's a LOT OF THEM!!!

wburke17

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
SWEEEET... cant wait till mine gets that big..
have fun w/ the camera.
W

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Great T! Look at that massive horn! I still need to add this species of Ceratogyrus to my collection.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I love the Ceratogyrus species.. beautiful spiders!

NBond1986

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Great T! Look at that massive horn! I still need to add this species of Ceratogyrus to my collection.
Thanks! Yeah the horn is surprisingly large considering it's a rear horn. I always thought that darlingi's were smaller-horned.

I love the Ceratogyrus species.. beautiful spiders!
thanks becky. yeah, they're amazing to look at. Even more amazing when they decide that your life is insignificant, and they want to kill you LOL {D

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
whats the aggression level of ceratogyrus sp on a whole?
it looks like its not as nasty as most baboons

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks! Yeah the horn is surprisingly large considering it's a rear horn. I always thought that darlingi's were smaller-horned.
Nope, C.darlingi is the only other Ceratogyrus spp. that can compare to C.marshalli horn wise.

Last edited:

NBond1986

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
whats the aggression level of ceratogyrus sp on a whole?
it looks like its not as nasty as most baboons
oh, believe me......it's as aggressive as the rest, IMO.

Those threat postures didn't take any effort to get! LOL

The handling pics are mostly to get some good angles on the photos......but also, they show that these alleged "monsters" arent monsters at all. They're defensive....not aggressive.
They need to be provoked to get angry.....they aren't just predisposed to be angry 24/7.

If you use common sense and you have some experience and confidence, there is no T that you can't make look calm in pictures. LOL {D

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i think your horn is bigger than mine

i will try not to too obviously overcompensate

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ceratogyrus spp. are some of the most unpredictable spider I had, they can seem calm but they quickly become very very nervous.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ceratogyrus spp. are some of the most unpredictable spider I had, they can seem calm but they quickly become very very nervous.
Agreed! :clap: I have never seen a more unpredictable spider. Oh and if they are pissed enough they will charge straight at you. I was refilling my C.marshalli waterdish and she was sitting there calm for the first half and then bam into a threat pose. It startled me so I stopped and then once I continued she charged straight at me, luckily I'm faster. No joke though. Of course I've handled the same spider though. You just gotta be very careful.

NBond1986

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Agreed! :clap: I have never seen a more unpredictable spider. Oh and if they are pissed enough they will charge straight at you. I was refilling my C.marshalli waterdish and she was sitting there calm for the first half and then bam into a threat pose. It startled me so I stopped and then once I continued she charged straight at me, luckily I'm faster. No joke though. Of course I've handled the same spider though. You just gotta be very careful.
True....take's confidence too. If you're shakey and nervous....the spider can tell, and it makes the spider nervous as well. same goes with pedes, scorps, and just about any invert.

very nice spider, and great pics.
thanks a bunch!

i think your horn is bigger than mine

i will try not to too obviously overcompensate
Well.....you work with what you've got. Sorry. ;P {D :D

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
True....take's confidence too. If you're shakey and nervous....the spider can tell, and it makes the spider nervous as well. same goes with pedes, scorps, and just about any invert.
That does'nt make the spider less unpredictable. I kept Ceratogyrus sp. for a long time now and this is a species I am always carefull with. They were very calm and then they started stridulating and run on my hand, I also had one doing a thread pose on my hand, when they were extremly calm 10 sec before, that did'nt happened to me with any other species, so never over estimate your handling skills.

PhilR

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

Here's my female C. darlingi. Wouldn't dream of handling her though as she's pretty defensive :)