Centuroides Husbandry?

CenTurOidesVITTATUS98

Arachnopeon
I was thinking of trying to breed some different species of centuroides- AKA barks scorpions,but I don't have any experience in scorpion husbandry,and I was wondering if anyone with experience could give some advice.

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
Well first you should figure out what species you plan on keeping as tempatures and humidity requirements may vary. All bark scorpions will require vertical surfaces to climb and molt, and a water dish is recommended.

CenTurOidesVITTATUS98

Arachnopeon
Well first you should figure out what species you plan on keeping as tempatures and humidity requirements may vary. All bark scorpions will require vertical surfaces to climb and molt, and a water dish is recommended".---------- I was thinking of keeping 3 different species,Florida,Arizona,and striped bark scorpions, I just wanted to know how to breed them,or keep them communally.

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
There are multiple species that live in those places. For example the Florida bark scorpion could be C.Gracilis or C. Hentzi. The Arizona bark scorpion could be the C.sculpturatus, and is highly venomous. The striped bark scorpion is most likely C. Vittatus but could also be confused with C. Hentzi. You should definitely figure out the exact species you are wanting to keep and then go from there.

CenTurOidesVITTATUS98

Arachnopeon
Ok say I want to breed c. Vittatus, I know how to sex them, but is there anything else I have to do besides feeding them well and then putting them together?

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
You need to keep them between 75-82 degrees. Provide vertical objects for them to climb on, and a small water dish for them to drink from. Mist the enclosure lightly once a week to maintain some humidity. Feed once a week with appropriate sized prey. I highly recommend you do some research online on general scorpion care.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You may also want to try keeping something less venomous first to get used to general scorp care and maintenance. Admittedly most US Centruroides aren't too bad when it comes to venom (C. sculpteratus aside), but a buthid is still a buthid and it won't be fun if you get stung. Otherwise, do lots of research first so you know how to care for the scorp and make sure you have proper safety measures as well.

CenTurOidesVITTATUS98

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the help at least someone cares to reply, I've kept 1 wild caught male c.Vittatus before but it died for some unknown reason sadly.

CenTurOidesVITTATUS98

Arachnopeon
I kept it cause it was native to where I live,and it was convienant to me.he ate really well and I fed him every week when he would eat.im not one of those people who doesn't do any research.

CenTurOidesVITTATUS98

Arachnopeon
I knew they're venom was really painful,but it didn't bother me,if he stings me its my fault,I handled him once,but I didn't have him for to long.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
C hentzi and C bani are neat little communal Scorpions to consider C guanensis and C nitidus too. They like it on the hot and humid side like C gracilus.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
C hentzi are found in Florida and I assume are related to the species found in Cuba/Puerto Rico etc. Almost like a smaller version of C vittatus visually. Neat little guys and not to hard to find on Dealer lists. I guess you could consider them a semi tropical species.

CenTurOidesVITTATUS98

Arachnopeon
If two different species of scorpions,were close enough,like c. Hentzi and c.vittatus,would they try to breed?,and if they breed would their ospring be viable?I was wondering because I've seen several examples of this in fish.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Even if it were possible, their ranges geographically don't overlap and they have no natural contact in the wild. It would be a hybrid experiment to produce something which normally doesn't occur.

CenTurOidesVITTATUS98

Arachnopeon
I was thinking of maybe doing a hybrid experiment, with different species in the same family, but it would probably be inconclusive