Centuroides Husbandry?

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
I was thinking of maybe doing a hybrid experiment, with different species in the same family, but it would probably be inconclusive
Trying to produce a hybrid is very much frowned upon and unethical, it isn't taken lightly on the forum. There are numerous reasons why this is wrong.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
I'm personally against it. Strongly against it actually. I'm not a fan either of all the custom pet snake morphs that seems to be the craze. Exploiting albinism and creating all these variants through selective breeding of traits or color and pattern schemes makes me irritated . Fashionable pets is what they produce. I'm a purist I guess.

Pipa

Arachnoknight
You will have a lot of fun with Centuroides !!!! One of my favs..

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Please don't put different species together.

At best they will eventually kill and eat each other, and at worst if the species are closely related enough they will actually breed and produce hybrid offspring, which will create a huge taxonomic mess.

CenTurOidesVITTATUS98

Arachnopeon
I don't see anything wrong with it if where to produce,which is unlikely, it's not like I would release it,what's ethically wrong with? Same with morphs

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Selective breeding with dogs is totally different. They're the same species.

The problem is that then other people will want to see if they can create hybrids, then inevitably the hybrids end up being bred with the true species because hobbyists can't tell the difference.

Look at the mess that's happened with the Avicularia and Brachypelma in the tarantula hobby, for example. Now it's hard to find pure species for some.

We've been fortunate to avoid this in the scorpion hobby so far, for several reasons.

I don't necessarily object to attempted inter-species breeding in a scientific setting in order to learn more about genetics and biological species concepts, etc. But for the average hobbyist there's not really any good reason (in my opinion) to do it.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It's one thing if you plan on keeping all the scorplings you get from the pairing and never try to sell them or anything (which I still don't agree with) and another to try to muddle up the taxonomy along with it. Centruroides taxonomy is unorganized on a good day, let alone if hybrids are actively created in the hobby, which is an easy access point for researchers wanting specimens.

Not to say that you shouldn't keep Centruroides as a pet once you've done the research, but if you're going to, don't hybridize different species. You're welcome to mix color morphs if you want, but I'd recommend against selling those as well because people like to have pure lines on color/patterning as well. C. gracilis at least throws all kinds of colors, so you could try isolating a morph and going from there.