Can't tell if H. Lividum molted...

TeePete

Arachnopeon
My female H. Lividum, Charlotte, made an appearance today for the first time in 3 weeks after completely holing up in her underground lair. I can't tell if she molted and I can't get in the tank right now as it requires 2 sets of hands (she's a runner and a total jerk). As soon as I approached, she scurried back in her tunnel so I definitely can't check. A couple before and after photos may help...

Before:
Attach2963_20160821_191913.jpg

After:
Attach4035_20160903_143300.jpg

Thoughts?

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Sounds like molt behavior to me, every time mine have gone unseen that long and emerge they've molted, but that's not saying it may just not have been hungry for a bit.

Pics look a little different, I could see it having molted :)

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
The scuffs on her carapace in the first pic seems to be cleared in the 2nd one provided, so I would say so.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Pretty T, I'm quite surprised you have her in something so small, and not that deep.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer

TeePete

Arachnopeon
Pretty T, I'm quite surprised you have her in something so small, and not that deep.
It's temporary. She burrowed only a few days after I got her and I didn't want to disturb her, so she's stayed there for now. I'll wait a few days for her to harden in case she JUST molted and then transfer her.

TeePete

Arachnopeon
x2 Although not visually aesthetic, you can get a bucket w/ lid (http://www.lowes.com/pd/Encore-Plastics-5-Gallon-Commercial-Bucket/3694238) and fill it up with moist substrate and I'm sure your spider will thank you for it. Normally, you shouldn't be able to see your C. lividum unless it's at the foot of it's burrow waiting for a meal if it's healthy and happy.
I have another tank but she burrowed days after I got her and I didn't want to disturb her. I'll be transferring her in a few days. I think she's just hungry, but I'm waiting for help feeding her. She shoots out of any openings in the tank and is super aggressive. It takes two for now until I get her in something deeper.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I have another tank but she burrowed days after I got her and I didn't want to disturb her. I'll be transferring her in a few days. I think she's just hungry, but I'm waiting for help feeding her. She shoots out of any openings in the tank and is super aggressive. It takes two for now until I get her in something deeper.
That's because she doesn't have enough substrate, not because she's aggressive. They normally aren't if they have enough room to burrow. Your T has nowhere near enough so it feels like it needs to defend itself. Like I mentioned, get that bucket for starters. It's cheap and will work well once you drill ventilation holes.

TeePete

Arachnopeon
That's because she doesn't have enough substrate, not because she's aggressive. They normally aren't if they have enough room to burrow. Your T has nowhere near enough so it feels like it needs to defend itself. Like I mentioned, get that bucket for starters. It's cheap and will work well once you drill ventilation holes.
The breeder I got her from kept her in a 20 gallon tank with 9 to 10 inches of substrate. He said she was aggressive even then. Some tarantulas are just aggressive.

In any case, like I said, I will be transferring her soon.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
The breeder I got her from kept her in a 20 gallon tank with 9 to 10 inches of substrate. He said she was aggressive even then. Some tarantulas are just aggressive.

In any case, like I said, I will be transferring her soon.
9-10 inches isn't enough. And no tarantula is just 'aggressive', they aren't people and don't have the capabilities to be aggressive. They're defensive and it was probably aggressive in his care due to him not providing him enough substrate.

I don't mean to be rude when I'm saying any of these things though!

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
When I kept Haplopelmas, they were given at least 14-18 inches of substrate. With that much, I've never gotten a threat posture out of the tens I've owned.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
9-10 inches isn't enough. And no tarantula is just 'aggressive', they aren't people and don't have the capabilities to be aggressive. They're defensive and it was probably aggressive in his care due to him not providing him enough substrate.

I don't mean to be rude when I'm saying any of these things though!
I don't know... I think lividum are on that fine line between aggressive and defensive.

Perhaps you'd allow for "aggressively defensive". :pompous:

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Haplopelma will chase attackers down... I think they cross the line from defensive to aggressive. Anywho, I don't give my Haplopelma vonwirthi much substrate (EEK!) yet, but she has LOADS of substrate longways (similar to the crabs) and she burrows far along the side of the tank, and she seems content. I never see her aside from her toes sadly.

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
I like to give haplos about 12 inches of substrate if I can. Usually the only time I have to deal with defensive behavior is when I dig them out for a rehouse.