Can You

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Can you overfeed a T. i see people saying you can and some saying you can't. Some people say they won't eat after they are full and some say they will eat everything you give them. so which is it.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I try not to because of upcoming molts. If their abdomen is quit larger than it is suppose to be, it is more likely to have a bad molt. Atleast that is what I have heard, and have witnessed it.

Austin

Rathkeaux

Arachnopeon
It would depend mostly on the species of T. that you have. Some may very well eat everything put in front of them, whereas some T's eat when they are hungry and that is it, even with crickets available. What species are you referring to? I think it is much easier to overfeed scorps than it is to overfeed T's.

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It would depend mostly on the species of T. that you have. Some may very well eat everything put in front of them, whereas some T's eat when they are hungry and that is it, even with crickets available. What species are you referring to? I think it is much easier to overfeed scorps than it is to overfeed T's.
I'm referring to G. rosea mainly.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think you can
Any proof?

I try not to because of upcoming molts. If their abdomen is quit larger than it is suppose to be, it is more likely to have a bad molt. Atleast that is what I have heard, and have witnessed it.

Austin
If that is the case nearly everyone of mine would have bit the dust during molting. IMO you cant overfeed a T. They will quit feeding after they have had enough. The only danger would be an overly fat terrestrial spider that falls and ruptures the abdomen. Even in that case, a shallow cage will prevent a fall

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
The only danger would be an overly fat terrestrial spider that falls and ruptures the abdomen. Even in that case, a shallow cage will prevent a fall
There you go. That's the problem of overfeeding. Their abdomen is easier to rupture on short falls.

-Sean

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Other then them being fat with a risk of rupture when falling you can't over feed a T. I have had Ts put down a half eaten roach before because they just had had enough. They know when to stop.

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i personally think overfeeding any pet is bad. some of mine will refuse food if they are full and some wont. i think overfeeding puts extra stress on them. they are not really meant to walk around engorged all the time.
i usually dont feed untill they start looking a bit thin, as far as rosea's, mine if full will usually ignore what i put in the cage.
most people have pretty good points on overfeeding. it does raise the risk factor in some ways so why do it. your really not doing your t a favor by feeding it till its ready to pop.

By-Tor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i think humans are one of the few creatures dumb enough to truly overeat/feed, i've never seen a spider puke because it ate to much at thanksgiving ^^

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
some of mine will refuse food if they are full and some wont.
The ones that wouldnt werent full ;)

i think overfeeding puts extra stress on them. they are not really meant to walk around engorged all the time.
Any proof it stresses them out? What you or I or anyone else thinks may be different from what is actually fact ;)

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Well, what is truly bad for them, and what sp. will overeat is written into their instincts.

Species that come from areas that go through seasons of famine, will gorge themselves when food is available, to hold them through the season where few insects will be available. When you offer too much food year 'round, they will get quite full.

Other species, that don't have this 'program', tend to eat more moderately. And not overstuff.

Spiderlings however, almost always stuff themselves, and can gorge themselves to incredible proportions.

-Sean

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes I get all that but other then taking a fall and busting themselves wide open has there ever been a study done showing that its unhealthy? Causing weird molts? Or I dont know anything other then looking fat?

I know there is the theory that power feeding all the time shortens their life and that makes sinse, but is there anything else?

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Yes I get all that but other then taking a fall and busting themselves wide open has there ever been a study done showing that its unhealthy?
What is 'unhealthy'? If significantly increasing the risk of internal damage is not 'unhealthy', I'm not sure if I could think of much that hurts an animal, without any other force involved. Its all about lowering their optimum conditions, that is 'unhealthy'.

However, I still powerfeed slings. But I take good care of them, to remove the risk of damage.

-Sean

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If significantly increasing the risk of internal damage is not 'unhealthy'
You are making a generalization, where or when did you see and read something that told you what "internal" damage is done from feeding a T to much? Or when have you ever had a T just die and that the finger pointed to feeding them do much?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes I get all that but other then taking a fall and busting themselves wide open has there ever been a study done showing that its unhealthy? Causing weird molts? Or I dont know anything other then looking fat?
Thats scary!! We are thinking just too much alike:D

That was exactly my point. Unless there has been a study with conclusive evidence, it is all just speculation. I see alot of replies here that state " I think" which is ok but if you all are like me then what you think and what is fact could be 2 totally different things altogether

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Haha, what of my post was speculation?

Has no one here dropped a spiderling/adult and ruptured the abdomen? It is perfect fact. The larger the abdomen, it stretches the cuticle of the abdomen, (the only cushion for the heart, right at the top). Falls can cause serious damage to these organs.

You are making a generalization, where or when did you see and read something that told you what "internal" damage is done from feeding a T to much? Or when have you ever had a T just die and that the finger pointed to feeding them do much?
The risk of internal damage because of falls IS significantly increased. That's just physics. Its no guess.

-Sean

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ahhh ok we are on the wrong page still,
what both me and Brian are saying is other then a fat heavy fed T falling and breaking something open, what other things are unhealthy that you KNOW not THINK you know to be unhealthy with feeding a T large ammounts. They dont get sick, they dont lay down and die....... the pretty much just look fat. Every T I have gets fed well and they know when to stop eating. I cant make them eat when they dont want to. So it would seem they know the limit.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Yeah, I see what you're saying. I wouldn't presume to suggest something to the effect of overeating = direct cause of death.

But, what I'm saying, is overeating significantly increases the risk of damage to internal organs by way of falling. Why is that not considered 'unhealthy'? Pretty much any physical condition in all to itself is not fatal, death is caused by other things, perhaps using the physical change as a catalyst.

I don't see why it isn't considered 'unhealthy'.

-Sean