Can you house any other insects with your tarantula? Tank companions?

SeattleBugWars

Arachnopeon
I recently learned about blue death feigning beetles and how you can house them with scorpions as tank companions and as a clean up crew for their enclosure.
Which made me curious if it were possible to house them with tarantulas, or if there were any other insects you could house with your tarantulas in the same manner?
*Excluding things such as springtails
Thank you!

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I'm pretty sure death feigning beetles will feed on dead insects so they may try to eat your T while its molting..

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I don't think I would attempt to keep spiders and fish in the same enclosure. The humidity would be off the charts and the possibility of a drowning would be all to real. In a large enough enclosure it might be easier to control things but I still think the risk would be too high.

cold blood

Staff member
I don't think I would attempt to keep spiders and fish in the same enclosure. The humidity would be off the charts and the possibility of a drowning would be all to real. In a large enough enclosure it might be easier to control things but I still think the risk would be too high.
H. gigas requires a high humidity. I've never heard of a healthy t drowning.

The only risk would be to small fish and to the keeper having to continually clean and maintain it.....soooo not worth it IMO.

cold blood

Staff member
Are you making a funny?
H. gigas is a large, shockingly fast t that will not hesitate to tag you should you make a mistake. Enough sub for a deeeep burrow is key for keeping these ts non-confrontational.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
H. gigas is a large, shockingly fast t that will not hesitate to tag you should you make a mistake. Enough sub for a deeeep burrow is key for keeping these ts non-confrontational.
A Parachromus dovii aka wolf cichlid is a large predatory/aggressive cichlid that reaches 24" and eats anything its giant mouth can grab, there is no calming it down even in suitable conditions.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer

The only risk would be to small fish and to the keeper having to continually clean and maintain it.....soooo not worth it IMO.
I agree with all of that except it not being worth it. :)

Do you know anything about how water conditioners effect Ts? I've always wondered that as we aren't supposed to eat fish exposed to such chemicals and all.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

You can't beat a T that swims underwater though! If I had the space to set one up like below I'd do it.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
It's sort of like housing something with a lion, another top predator, except tarantulas are a lot less picky than lions. It's only a matter of time before the food chain kicks in. :eek:

If you want a mixed vivarium, I keep gray tree frogs, green anoles, and red platies in the same planted tank, but I've got a great filter...and the anoles still get out all the dang time when I open up to feed or do maintenance. However, their bites don't involve fangs or venom! :wideyed: