Can you house any other insects with your tarantula? Tank companions?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
H. gigas is a large, shockingly fast t that will not hesitate to tag you should you make a mistake. Enough sub for a deeeep burrow is key for keeping these ts non-confrontational.
While I do completely agree with you to offer always to those load of substrate inches (never, never, never be a 'scrooge' with substrate, not even for 'Genics' and 'Brachys' because we can't know if they feel the need to burrow, at the end) I have to disagree with your description of H.gigas.

Sure they are fast, no doubts here. But they are IMO one (along IMO with M.robustum) Theraphosidae that is always prone to quickly retreat in the burrow, pretty shy and very easy to spook. This considering, of course, the temperament that differs from specimen to specimen and, important, "normal" situations (so not handling or annoying on purpose with paint brush or else the bugger). For being 'Baboons' they are pretty "calm" IMO.

Witness more "fighting manly parts" attitude, on that sense, by P.cancerides and even by A.geniculata on bad days.

cold blood

Staff member
A Parachromus dovii aka wolf cichlid is a large predatory/aggressive cichlid that reaches 24" and eats anything its giant mouth can grab, there is no calming it down even in suitable conditions.
Yeah, and that's the fish you would choose to put in with your t?? May as well just put in arowana or peacock bass.:rolleyes:

I used to keep jewel chiclids, they were intense.

cold blood

Staff member
While I do completely agree with you to offer always to those load of substrate inches (never, never, never be a 'scrooge' with substrate, not even for 'Genics' and 'Brachys' because we can't know if they feel the need to burrow, at the end) I have to disagree with your description of H.gigas.

Sure they are fast, no doubts here. But they are IMO one (along IMO with M.robustum) Theraphosidae that is always prone to quickly retreat in the burrow, pretty shy and very easy to spook. This considering, of course, the temperament that differs from specimen to specimen and, important, "normal" situations (so not handling or annoying on purpose with paint brush or else the bugger). For being 'Baboons' they are pretty "calm" IMO.

Witness more "fighting manly parts" attitude, on that sense, by P.cancerides and even by A.geniculata on bad days.
I agree, but if you do not give them proper sub to burrow, which many people don't, its a completely different story...you house them properly, of course you won't have these issues.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah, and that's the fish you would choose to put in with your t?? May as well just put in arowana or peacock bass.:rolleyes:

I used to keep jewel chiclids, they were intense.
Hecks no!!!! I was just adding to the tale of the tape. Any cichlid is a bad idea. The only fish I would keep in a Ts paludarium is little live bearers like guppies.

cold blood

Staff member
Hecks no!!!! I was just adding to the tale of the tape. Any cichlid is a bad idea. The only fish I would keep in a Ts paludarium is little live bearers like guppies.
guppies would be perfect. For years I had them breeding in my turtle tank, then they were gone. My turtle's anti-social.

woodermeloon

Arachnopeon
I put live plants, isopods, small roaches, and small webbing spiders in with my tarantulas. If the critters are small enough they will avoid the attention of Mr.Tarantula.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I often let insects go inside my T enclosures. And my T's very quickly welcome them in.

However my T's are all ridiculously friendly and smother them with affection. Grabbing and kissing them and just not letting go.

When I check on how they're settling in, in the morning they're gone. Obviously fed up with all the attention they received.

It's costing me a few quid but my T's want companions so I'll keep buying them until they find "the one".

woodermeloon

Arachnopeon
I take it you have never seen Philths picture of one of his escaped Ts that was found dead and eaten in the web of a house spider..
No I havnt. I've been keeping house spiders in with my large T enclosures for over a year now. I figured that the occasion mold gnat would be more of a treat then my 6" T gigas or L Kulgi.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
No I havnt. I've been keeping house spiders in with my large T enclosures for over a year now. I figured that the occasion mold gnat would be more of a treat then my 6" T gigas or L Kulgi.
Think it may be the reverse situation... also, some house spiders could probably bite and injure a T if they intrude on the house spider's territory. Personally, I don't see the point. If there are gnats, then there may be something molding and they'll leave after you remove it. Seems too risky to me :)