Can tarantulas be conditioned?

laservet

Arachnopeon
I read the older thread, interesting. My background is in ethology, the evolution of behavior, and psychology. In the older thread "socialization" was used to describe what was happening in the centipede, but that isn't what's happening, it's habituation. That there can be a difference between species in this regard is not surprising, to what degree that ability develops in a given species depends on to what degree that ability/behavior gives a selective advantage. Habituation is seen in all inverts, even earthworms. The ability to adjust to and ignore stimuli that aren't dangerous/threatening, food related, or sex related is critical, otherwise the leaf continuously moving in the breeze outside the tarantula's burrow opening would keep it pinned inside until it starved.

A classic example of a marked difference based on selective advantage is long term memory in bees. Temperate climate bees do not have long term memory, but tropical rain forest species do. Temperate zone plant life is characterized by a relatively small number of species but very large numbers of individuals of each species growing in swaths. There are large pine forests, wildflower fields, etc. In the rain forest plants there is a huge number of different species but very small numbers of widely spaced individuals of each species. Temperate zone bees don't need long term memory because their food sources when found occur in large numbers, all they need to be able to do is remember the location long enough to get back to the hive and transmit the location to the other bees in the hive.

In the tropical rain forest a bee might find one single preferred flower in one location, another a mile away, a third two miles in a different direction. Since their survival depends on their ability to remember the location of each flower, tropical bees are often called smart bees. They run a trap line from flower to flower, and one can almost set their watch based on the time a certain bee arrives at a certain flower every single day.

Inverts have been shown to respond to classical conditioning, too, so it would be interesting to tap a tarantula's cage twice before opening the lid for feeding to see if the animal responds by expecting food. Feeding videos suggest that is happening since some of the animals appear to respond to the opening of the lid by approaching to be fed.

An article about invert learning and memory:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK28212/

and one about insect brains and intelligence:

http://bioteaching.com/insect-brains-and-animal-intelligence/

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
In the older thread "socialization" was used to describe what was happening in the centipede, but that isn't what's happening, it's habituation.
Socialization is just the term that is generally used to describe the habituation of centipedes.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
To be honest, I prefer not to use the word "socialization" to describe what I do with centipedes. Without context, it sounds rather strange.

That being said, the degree to which centipedes acclimate to handling is far more pronounced than with most other arthropods. It also seems to happen a lot quicker as well. There are other behaviours than also suggest intelligence in centipedes, such as the bat-hunting behaviour.

CladeArthropoda

Arachnoknight
Thank you all for your input. What I got form this is that acclimating tarantulas to handling is possible but generally not a good idea

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
It is possible, but I for one am unsure of the extent to which they can acclimate to handling.

laservet

Arachnopeon
Thank you all for your input. What I got form this is that acclimating tarantulas to handling is possible but generally not a good idea
Possible. But for non domesticated species handling is a stressor. It has been shown to have adverse effects on reptiles, for example, as does captivity itself. So knowing it might not be good for the animal (I am not aware of any study of the results of stress on an invert) should be a factor in your decision. When I worked at Lincoln Park Zoo we NEVER handled any of the animals. OTOH, I don’t worry about the effects of stress on feeder inverts so maybe I’m being hypocritical.

Well, I don't mean that they are all the same. But I do wonder what centipedes have that tarantulas don't. Could it be their highly active life style.

And speaking of a more active life style, has anyone measured the intelligence of burrowing vs arboreal tarantulas?
It would make sense that a more adaptive behavioral repertoire would give a selective advantage in a more active animal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
Mine are like living robots, no evidence of learning ability.

Still, somehow my pokie seems to be more aware of what's going on, also the calmest of my spiders believe it or not.

What is actually happening is people becoming used to the spider just like learning a video game or programming your DVD player.

That's not to say that they are boring, just that they are best maintained as display animals.

I can't really think of anything useful for a tarantula to be trained to do even if possible.

boina

Lady of the mites
I read the older thread, interesting. My background is in ethology, the evolution of behavior, and psychology. In the older thread "socialization" was used to describe what was happening in the centipede, but that isn't what's happening, it's habituation. That there can be a difference between species in this regard is not surprising, to what degree that ability develops in a given species depends on to what degree that ability/behavior gives a selective advantage. Habituation is seen in all inverts, even earthworms. The ability to adjust to and ignore stimuli that aren't dangerous/threatening, food related, or sex related is critical, otherwise the leaf continuously moving in the breeze outside the tarantula's burrow opening would keep it pinned inside until it starved.

A classic example of a marked difference based on selective advantage is long term memory in bees. Temperate climate bees do not have long term memory, but tropical rain forest species do. Temperate zone plant life is characterized by a relatively small number of species but very large numbers of individuals of each species growing in swaths. There are large pine forests, wildflower fields, etc. In the rain forest plants there is a huge number of different species but very small numbers of widely spaced individuals of each species. Temperate zone bees don't need long term memory because their food sources when found occur in large numbers, all they need to be able to do is remember the location long enough to get back to the hive and transmit the location to the other bees in the hive.

In the tropical rain forest a bee might find one single preferred flower in one location, another a mile away, a third two miles in a different direction. Since their survival depends on their ability to remember the location of each flower, tropical bees are often called smart bees. They run a trap line from flower to flower, and one can almost set their watch based on the time a certain bee arrives at a certain flower every single day.

Inverts have been shown to respond to classical conditioning, too, so it would be interesting to tap a tarantula's cage twice before opening the lid for feeding to see if the animal responds by expecting food. Feeding videos suggest that is happening since some of the animals appear to respond to the opening of the lid by approaching to be fed.

An article about invert learning and memory:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK28212/

and one about insect brains and intelligence:

http://bioteaching.com/insect-brains-and-animal-intelligence/
Could you please stick around and post this stuff every time the tarantula learning debate comes up? Especially the 'habituation is seen in all inverts' part?

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
But snails and insects are very different from spiders.

Heck compare the book lungs of a tarantula to the breathing tubes in a locust, totally different. Insects inhale and exhale. Spiders don't.

Jumping spiders are reputed to be the smartest or at least the most visual spider. Perhaps some of the arboreal ones like pokies might be a bit clever or more aware but I haven't really seen it in a concrete way.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Very much so, and to an extent I've never seen in any other normally defensive inverts.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
I think they can to a extent, at least become acclimated to certain things though I don't know about handling. None of the T's I have had for a while react to their enclosures being moved ( I have to move them to feed), for instance my P. cancerides was grooming when I picked up his enclosure and continued peacefully grooming as I carried it across the room. He only reacted when I opened the lid.

JBarbaresi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't know about "training" them to be comfortable with handling, but I absolutely believe they will become conditioned to their environment. In my limited experience, T's that are kept in a quiet room/closet with little noise throughout the day are much more skittish than ones that are kept in a room that is lived in. I always assumed over time they just grow more accustomed to people walking by, noises, sounds, vibrations, etc... I have a few species that are notoriously reclusive or skittish, and I see them all out every single day with exception of during a molt cycle. They rarely ever run and hide when I approach their enclosures either. So yes, to a certain degree I do believe they learn from their environment.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Interesting, has this been backed and tested?
I have a Scolopendra gigantea that was formerly so nippy it bit anything that moved, even the tongs when I just put them in front of it. After some gentle working with it has calmed down incredibly and instead of striking and bolting at the slightest touch it allows handling and even fairly firm petting along it's back, it's actually the one in my profile pic!

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I'm in a bit of a hurry, so I was unable to read the replies, so excuse me if this has already been covered...

Yes, tarantulas can be conditioned.
However, be sure to first use a product you are certain contains no toxins, and do NOT blow-dry the spider afterwards. I suggest using an all-natural shampoo before conditioning, and for B. albopilosum you will get the best results from an "extra body" formula.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
However, be sure to first use a product you are certain contains no toxins
I have a Scolopendra gigantea that was formerly so nippy it bit anything that moved, even the tongs when I just put them in front of it. After some gentle working with it has calmed down incredibly and instead of striking and bolting at the slightest touch it allows handling and even fairly firm petting along it's back, it's actually the one in my profile pic!
Very interesting, I didn't think it would be possible.