can a mexican redknee tarantula's Venom kill a chihuahua dog?

Hoods 408

Arachnopeon
PLEASE i need help and sources from good sites that it will kill or not kill a chihuahua :(
because , my aunt says she wants proof from site or sumthin

my aunt wont let me buy a spider until she knows that if the venom is dangerous to dogs or not. she thinks the spider will be out of its cage by accident and my dog will probably attack the Tarantula and will bite my dog or sumthin. but i have an office room and i can keep it there on top of the high tall cabinets

Toirtis

Arachnobaron
No, it will not...not even close...a common wasp would pose more danger.

Hoods 408

Arachnopeon
OMG thank you soo much!

is there a site that i can show my aunt that i will not kill my dogs? i dont know if she will believe from the post or not :(

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No, it will not...not even close...a common wasp would pose more danger.
Sorry, but where did you get that information? I read that tarantula venom is more potent for dogs and cats than it is for people.

http://www.wikihow.com/Pick-a-Pet-Tarantula
Tarantulas do not mix well with dogs and cats, which can easily injure or kill a tarantula. Also a bite can be fatal to your cat or dog as they are more susceptible to the venom. Although all spiders are venomous, a human has yet to die as a result of a tarantula bite. Nevertheless, it's better to be safe than sorry.

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sorry, but where did you get that information? I read that tarantula venom is more potent for dogs and cats than it is for people.

http://www.wikihow.com/Pick-a-Pet-Tarantula
ive also read and always been told that T venom is usually fatal to small animals. not only that but any story i hear where a T comes into contact with a cat or dog, they both usually end up losing so to speak.

Midknight xrs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you are asking if the venom of a tarantula is potentially fatal to a small pet, the answer is more then likely yes. If you are talking about the Brachypelma Smithi, Mexican Red Knee, the odds of it attacking a chihuahua are very slim. First, they would both have to come into contact with each other. Second, the spider would have to feel threatened enough, i.e. cornered to want to attack the dog. Third, it is a new world tarantula. They have hairs that they can kick in defense at the animal that will allow them time to escape.

If i was your aunt, i would be more worried about a recluse or a widow attacking and killing my dog over a tarantula. Again, if we are talking about the brachypelma smithi, I'd be more worried about it's urticating hairs then a potentially lethal bite. They will run and hide before they attack. It's the preemptive nature of fight or flight. I would go grab the tarantula keepers guide and read that.

(Not expert opinion, just my personal opinion based on readings, research and current studies)

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've asked this question on this site. I was told basically, No It won't be fatal to them. Besides if you're careful..escapes, if at all, should be very rare. Why don't you get something slower and simple like a Grammostola Rosea.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I would worry more about the urticating hairs than the venom, but I would agree that there is still good potential that it could kill (or do quite a bit of damage to) a small mammal.

I've asked this question on this site. I was told basically, No It won't be fatal to them.
Can you provide the link to the thread where you asked this?

XzotticAnimal420

Arachnosquire
Ive done LOTS of reading on this particular topic and there are a lot of mixed reviews, but more often than not is does say that T venom is VERY toxic to cats and dogs. However, also as mentioned above, the T would have to feel very threatened to bite, they are more likely to flick their hairs. I had an OWS Haplopelma hainanum that escaped with help from my very mischievous cat. (The cat got on top of the cage and pushed the screen inwards) Later, I found the T in the middle of the livingroom floor, legs scattered across the room. :( It was bad, but my cat was VERY lucky to have gotten the best of the spider before it was vice versa. Bottom line is, just BE CAREFUL. Its not hard to have T's and also own cats and dogs..Ive been doing it for years..but you HAVE to be careful. Keep your T's elevated enough that your other animals cannot access them, and personally, I think the likelihood of your T and Chi ever meeting is pretty slim to none as long as no one is neglectful.

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
I would worry more about the urticating hairs than the venom,

but your right because most( saying most not counting the evil rose hair or what have ya) but most would rather just "hair" there attacker and run and most brachys from what ive heard truly only save fangs for no escapes and chances are after the taco bell dog gets haired it will stop( no disrespect meant just for got how to spell the dog) and if you keep the dog out of the same room as the T you should be fine also keep the T up high ( like on your dresser or desk) out of reach of the dog and when you need or want to go into the Ts inclosure to clean/ pick up the T do what i do pick up the whole inclosure and set it on the bed and close the door ( i have 1 big dog and 2 small ones so i know how to keep them away ) but if you do that then you mom you and her dog should have no problem.... good luck man!

XzotticAnimal420

Arachnosquire
Interesting, thank you. Regarding that thread and the example of the Haplopelma with the cat - that's a cat, not a dog. Cats are naturally good hunters, dogs aren't.
I totally agree. My dog was clear across the room, scared to death {D

Fyreflye

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have tarantulas AND two chihuahuas- the smaller one is only 4 lbs. I've been keeping Ts for over a year, and have never had any problems. If you are careful and attentive, the risk of an escapee is low.