Cacti in T´s enclosure

Darth Vehl

Arachnopeon
Hello, I havent post in a while. I used some small cacti for a biology lab practice, now that I have finished highschool, I would like to incorporate it into a enclosure for a new T (species not defined yet) that Im looking forward to get. So please give me your thoughts or advices please... anything will work for me. Also could someone please recommend me a species for this enclosure in particular.

PHOTO-2023-02-26-17-59-25.jpg

Last edited:

Gilligan

Arachnosquire
Broadly speaking, cactus are not recommended for tarantula enclosures due to the spines and possibility of injury to the T. Posting pictures/providing information on what tank and cactus species you are using would help narrow down the advice.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Hello, I havent post in a while. I used some small cacti for a biology lab practice, now that I have finished highschool, I would like to incorporate it into a enclosure for a new T (species not defined yet) that Im looking forward to get. So please give me your thoughts or advices please... anything will work for me. Also could someone please recommend me a species for this enclosure in particular.

Thanks in advance, B. :)
Tarantula: T. godzillicus

Enclosure: A spot in a zoo

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
This seems backwards to me. Determine what species you want to add to your collection then find a suitable enclosure to house it.
I couldn’t even keep pothos plants Alive in T enclosures , makes no sense whatsoever using a cactus they also require very little water or care .
are there cactus (no spines )? that can live with a t cage ? Look into those soft plants ..a type of cacti I forgot the name .. :rofl:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter

Pics please??
Asks if they can put this cactus in enclosure, provides no pic of cactus 🤨
Ask questions then vanish happens on every forum lol .. leave out an important detail to get the people riled up.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Bad idea - pick your T species

Darth Vehl

Arachnopeon
Broadly speaking, cactus are not recommended for tarantula enclosures due to the spines and possibility of injury to the T. Posting pictures/providing information on what tank and cactus species you are using would help narrow down the advice.
The tank isnt defined yet, because I dont know (yet) if I´ll get an adult, subadult, etc. Thanks for the advice tho

This seems backwards to me. Determine what species you want to add to your collection then find a suitable enclosure to house it.
Knowing the care of cacti and tarantulas as well, I´ll go with a terrestrial NW like a Brachy or an Aphono... not moisture dependant obviously. And what I mean with the "not knowing" is that I want to listen to more experienced people first + I don't know my local breeders' species availability yet.

Tarantula: T. godzillicus

Enclosure: A spot in a zoo
Gosh!!... Your sarcasm doesn't help... at all. Im asking seriously, that's the point of this forum, right? I mean, if I'm wrong and this site is for rude keepers that need to feel superior to the ones that doesn't know most things (like me) you should tell everyone in advance. Its just rude :/

Asks if they can put this cactus in enclosure, provides no pic of cactus 🤨
I edited the thread, the pics are there now.

Pics please??

Ask questions then vanish happens on every forum lol .. leave out an important detail to get the people riled up.
Sorry for not being able to be 24/7 on my computer, I do other things you know? Fun fact

Bad idea - pick your T species
Maybe a terrestrial NW like a Brachy or an Aphono.Need to check breeder´s availability first

Pics please?
On the original thread

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
On the original thread
Thanks , my bad saying you vanished you came back pretty fast . :rofl: Im a little iffy on those cactus the spikes are there . A spider that climbs a lot might fall on it very possibly fatal .
A pet rock like g rosea might totally ignore it , see what other people here think but I’d pass on using those . I’ve had pothos plants in tanks before that’s as far as I’ve gone . And they either died or were removed , guess they didn’t get enough sunlight . I’m curious if soft succulents would do any good lol
Try a plant with no spines ?if you must.
succulents / pothos plants.

Last edited:

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
I would never suggest putting something with spikes/needles/spines/pointy things in your pets home. There are cacti without them, but the one in your picture definitely does.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
This guy uses pothos , although I probably won’t try them again anytime soon . A safe plant for spiders ..

Gilligan

Arachnosquire

View attachment 447073
Definitely don't use those, the spikes are a hazard. Maybe use them in a plant terrarium instead.

CutThroat Kid

Arachnoknight
I have Zebra Haworthia in my GBB enclosure, I seriously bet that if you put those in a GBB enclosure the cactus would just get webbed over. It could maybe work.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter

View attachment 447073
bad idea, dont put those into a spider enclosure, not that these plants are even suitable as terrarium plants, they need lots of light after all

I have Zebra Haworthia in my GBB enclosure, I seriously bet that if you put those in a GBB enclosure the cactus would just get webbed over. It could maybe work.
if you ever find the spider pinned to one of the leaves do tell

even if its webbed over those spines are no joke and it will die sooner or later from being covered/lack of light anyway

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
bad idea, dont put those into a spider enclosure, not that these plants are even suitable as terrarium plants, they need lots of light after all

if you ever find the spider pinned to one of the leaves do tell

even if its webbed over those spines are no joke and it will die sooner or later from being covered/lack of light anyway
yeah that’s why I suggested soft succulents.. :D if it’s sharp a gbb will find it.:sad:.
If plants thrived in t enclosures every pic you’d see them . I’d like to see what species are soft and can survive no light or barely any light . My basements only got tiny windows haha , barely any light .

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
After you are done with your research on proper cacti care and tarantula husbandry, you will know the answer is no, you can't keep them together with any sustainable success.

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
For those that keep dry species, some cacti that I have used with success (spineless): Astrophyum asterias, all Lophophora sp., Spineless Opuntia sp and so on. your pic of myrtillocactus and gymnocalycium seems risky to me (spines).

The real issue you will have is that you need very intense lighting for indoor cacti. think chameleon style lights x4 and with less UV. These plants will etiolate in most vivaria. Probably wont work for most people and tarantulas.

Last edited: