C. crawshayi female in trouble?

BLS Blondi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have an 8" female C. crawshayi who appears to be dying. About two months ago, I noticed she was bleeding alot from one of her joints. looking closer, leg III on the left side was broken BAD at the joint. How she did it I am unsure. She just has her tunnel she built and a water dish. There is only 4" from soil surface to cage top, so a fall wouldn't have caused it either. Anyhow, when I noticed her bleeding, I quickly patched it up with baby powder and a small piece of toliet paper. This did not work...so I got out the super glue. The bleeding stopped, but now her leg is curled underneath her. Here is what is wierd....leg III on the OPPOSITE side is now curled underneath her as well, but there is no external injury. For the past two months, she just sits next to her water dish. She will not go back into her tunnel. So thinking that maybe there was something in her tunnel, I looked and found nothing. She moves very slow, but she has been this way for a while. The temp and humidity is perfect for her, so I am wondering if there is something I am missing. I have seen T's get like this before ( I had two that acted like this, and they both died relatively quickly). She doesn't care to eat, as I offer her roaches and crickets every week. I realize there isn't much I can do but cross my fingers, but I am interested in knowing if anyone has has seen this before, where the same legs on opposite sides curl under. The other six legs are OK though. I am starting to feel something is going on inside of her. Has anyone experienced this before?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Actually I dont think she is dying...... I think she is very over due for a molt.... I have on more then one occasion seen fluid coming from the joints from T's often the night or a few nights before a molt. I would leave her be, observe her every now and then, make sure she as access to water.
Don't do the superglue thing again.... if a fall is not suspected then just wait a bit. Little patience here might be the difference between you killing her and her molting.

BLS Blondi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Funny you mention that...she IS overdue for a molt. But it has been two months and she has not molted. I know to only use superglue if it is really bad, and trust me...she was bleeding BAD. There was ALOT of fluid coming out. She has been drinking alot of water, which is good. but no signs of a molt yet. Thanks for the response!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So just keep an eye on her. I have seen the fluid come from all areas sometimes when a T is ready to molt.
Sometimes Ts are picky about molting conditions. Is the tank moist? Usually when I have a T thats overdue for a molt, or they are dark and obviously ready to molt but have not, I soak one side of the tank, usually the opposite side of where the T normally is. As long as you keep her warm and dark since shes out of her burrow, this may help comfort her and trigger a molt. Keeping it quiet and distrubance free will proberly help to so keep your foot traffic low and check on her every few hours.

BLS Blondi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Update

She is now sitting in her water dish. I heavily increased the humidity. She is not dark though. Ironically enough, she does have a small bald patch on her abdomen, but the skin is not dark yet.

treeweta

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
king baboons dont develop a bald patch so its very tricky to notice an upcoming moult. KIng baboons can mout and be running around like normal in a few hours, if the skin is hidden away its hard to even know it moulted as they always look fresh, well more so than the american species that do get dull/tatty as the year goes on.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
And because they are here they are considered "American species"? I am not asking to be a smart ass.... I just did not know there were any species called or considered "American species".

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, I thought you were asking what species were in america. {D

I think Treeweta meant species from north, south and central america, in other words the new world Ts.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ahh that makes sense to me. For a second there I though I was missing something. Thanks for clearing that up. :worship:

BLS Blondi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
She's getting worse!!!!!!!!

I just looked at her today....she is trying real hard to break off the leg that was bleeding. Now, leg IV is bleeding right below the knee. So far, I have spoken to a few dealers, and no one seems to have any logical explanation. I have a feeling she will be dead soon. There are no external infestations, and the environment is ideal for her. I just have no idea what is going on. Anyone else have any idea?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Can you take a picture of her?

I strongly suggest moving her to somewhere dark and warm. But take a few pictures. I want to see what condition she is in.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just looked at her today....she is trying real hard to break off the leg that was bleeding. Now, leg IV is bleeding right below the knee. So far, I have spoken to a few dealers, and no one seems to have any logical explanation. I have a feeling she will be dead soon. There are no external infestations, and the environment is ideal for her. I just have no idea what is going on. Anyone else have any idea?

I have the tarantulas keeper's guide.

and in this guide it says that Tarantulas will try to take off parts of their own body (as in what you said yours is doing) if they feel they limb no longer has any use and is just getting in the way. Since tarantulas do not commit suicide this is something normal they do. It says in the book that:

"if the injured limb posed a threat to the animal, the owner might even be provoked into removing it at the special point for the sake of survival. they have a joint betwen the coxa and the trochanter that has a peculiar arrangement. if enough forced is applied the femur, this coxa - trochanter hinge is the part that tears first, and the entire leg from that point outward is cast off. the muscles that are attatched to the sclerites contract painm pulling in the edges of the joint membrane to reduc the szie of the openining. ultimately, only an empty socket remains."

some times a T will use its other legs, palps, or fangs to remove the leg and this is usually successful.

Slash

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Since tarantulas do not commit suicide...
Hahaha...sorry, I laughed when i read that. Can you imagine if they did though?

BLS...I believe you are doing everything great. I'd say just let nature take its course...and of course, cross those fingers. Good luck man. by the way, Zakk Wylde rules. :worship:

BLS Blondi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You can see where the baby powder was applied. I took photos of both sides so everyone can see what is going on.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well one thing if for sure, she is in DEF need of a molt. Maybe that is actually what is going on. You never know with crawshayi's. I have 2 very large females both pushing 8" also. They are very beautiful, yours almost looks unnaturally huge vs. these though! Have you tried ICU'ing her? Putting her into a large deli cup of some sort with warm moist paper towels at the bottom? But keeping it moist you'd think that the powder you applied would come off. I don't really know what else to say, either ICU it, or wait it out... You have my prayers.

Austin

BLS Blondi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Update

She is really starting to move very slowly. The one leg is in the process of falling off. She seems to be in stable condition, but still looks real bad.