Budget friendly camera suggestion

Shokoon8legs

Arachnopeon
So hello everyone, what camera should I get? wanna get some awesome shots of my T's.

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
I am not a pro by any means. I take amateur photos with whatever I've got... but I'm looking at a used Nikon D5500/5600 with Tokina macro (or anything similar really) on eBay just to take macro shots of my T's. Buuuut it's kinda pricey so I might just buy more T's and stick to my camera phone. :)

I recall somebody mentioning all you really need is a Nikon D90 and a good macro lense, but as an ignorant amateur I couldn't tell you why or why not.

Here are some resources for you. Perhaps one of the camera-literate members can point you in the right direction.

An old link posted by another member

Shokoon8legs

Arachnopeon
I am not a pro by any means. I take amateur photos with whatever I've got... but I'm looking at a used Nikon D5500/5600 with Tokina macro (or anything similar really) on eBay just to take macro shots of my T's. Buuuut it's kinda pricey so I might just buy more T's and stick to my camera phone. :)

I recall somebody mentioning all you really need is a Nikon D90 and a good macro lense, but as an ignorant amateur I couldn't tell you why or why not.

Here are some resources for you. Perhaps one of the camera-literate members can point you in the right direction.

An old link posted by another member

Thanks!!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You are absolutely crazy if you think you need another camera!

Btw- budget friendly - useless term

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Been thinking or maybe I will just buy a lens
The camera you have is absolutely fine for macro photos of your tarantulas, I used that exact one for years. The lens is the important part. The lenses I have experience with don’t fit in your price range but maybe adding some snap on macro lenses to an existing lens would help?

Shokoon8legs

Arachnopeon
The camera you have is absolutely fine for macro photos of your tarantulas, I used that exact one for years. The lens is the important part. The lenses I have experience with don’t fit in your price range but maybe adding some snap on macro lenses to an existing lens would help?
Yeah might do that, is the Raynox dcr-250 super macro snap-on lens good?

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
You are absolutely crazy if you think you need another camera!

Btw- budget friendly - useless term
I just use my phone I don’t have money for a camera or a pc to hook it up to.
My budget is around 100 to 200 (USD) and well I do have experience in taking photography so let's say intermediate. I do have an old Nikon D600 and currently a Sony W810.
Good luck finding something that cheap , prices people are wanting here for used stuff is Rediculous…

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince

Good luck finding something that cheap , prices people are wanting here for used stuff is Rediculous…
Agree with you about current prices.

To @Shokoon8legs . If you have Nikon D600 purchase a Nikon Film macro lens, as Nikon retained the lens mount so Film lens can be mounted on digital cameras.
You will obviously loose auto focus and will have to be focused manually.

Quality macro photography requires a good firm tripod and careful manual focusing to achieve best results anyway.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you’re serious about Macro make sure it is has a mag ratio of 1:1

Shokoon8legs

Arachnopeon

I found a Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro Lens that is cheap (second hand) within the budget (100$ to 200$). But not on this site.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
I found a Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro Lens that is cheap (second hand) within the budget (100$ to 200$). But not on this site.
Sigma lens are very good and their EX range is their top range, just make sure it is Nikon fit as they made their lenses for all popular cameras

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I'm getting very curious how many technicians working on micro electronics have been cannibalizing old phone cameras and making them work in conjunction with their microscopes.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
I'm getting very curious how many technicians working on micro electronics have been cannibalizing old phone cameras and making them work in conjunction with their microscopes.
I used to use the Canon F1n system, obviously lens prices depended on lens quality.

However when digital first took off and digital users realised that the very high quality manual focus lens would fit their diggy cameras, sometimes needing an adapter, watch the price of manual focus lens go through the roof.

I ended up not being able to upgrade to the pro range of lenses because the diggies were pushing the prices up and " snapping" them up.

Due to now needing auto focus, I now use Minolta FILM cameras with the first generation all metal auto focus lens, superb lenses,
and let the doggies with the plastic specials get on with it.

PS.

I purchased 3 separate
Sony A700's ,sold all three after a very short boring venture into the diggy world.

For " Mickey mouse stuff I use my phone that has 45 mgpx. plenty enough for everyday shots.

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Personally i find film alone to be cost prohibitive. A more expensive digital will save money on developing pretty quick. I really like the canon 100mm 2.8 macro lense. Not super crazy expensive and excellent quality

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Personally i find film alone to be cost prohibitive. A more expensive digital will save money on developing pretty quick. I really like the canon 100mm 2.8 macro lense. Not super crazy expensive and excellent quality
With digital you are a slave to your computer.
This is where digital manipulation,file storage etc. takes place, all on the computer and at the end of the day what you've got is thousands of digital files that will probably never be looked at again.
You could print some of if you have a printer, ink ,and decent quality paper.
Or you could rely on these online services of dubious quality.
I can have my prints, plus negatives, plus CD' s all returned within a week processed by top quality labs, and have something tangible to look at and hold while you are still trying to " adjust " some of your images so they look closer to photos.
Nikon even had Film quality programmes built into their top end digital cameras software.
Digital is not photography, it's officially classed as " digital capture ".

Just remember where digital stemmed from.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince