Breeding in the wild

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
When tarantulas are breeding in the wild do they always get with the same speicies? that seems logical that they would but how would they know its the same as them?:? just wondering

8by8

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They use chemicals to detect mates for one. Something like pheromones.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Why not? Mother nature might have different opinions of what sp. is what, then we do. Man made these names, not the spiders.

Later, Tom

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's possible, even likely that a certain amount of crosses happen in nature within a given genus. I'd doubt that species from two different genera would mate though. If the male expressed interest he would most likely be met by fangs in his face.

This should not, however, be considered proof that captive hybridizing is ok. We need to try to maintain the purity of the species being bred in captivity.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yea, its like highschool biology class. In the wild, the Avics may have came from A. Avic, but that doesnt mean we should hybridize to create our own.... especially when that happens over thousands/millions of years

splangy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is the equivalent of asking whether humans and chimpanzees would mate in the wild.

even if they did do the deed (i've heard stories about sheep herders...), there's no possibility for offspring. genetically, and physically, things are too different.

we're more closely related to chimpanzees than most tarantulas would be to each other.

even if they did somehow get confused and manage to mate with the wrong species, the offspring probably wouldn't happen.

part of the definition of a "species" in taxonomy is that they don't mate outside of their species. there's very few exceptions to that.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This is the equivalent of asking whether humans and chimpanzees would mate in the wild.

even if they did do the deed (i've heard stories about sheep herders...), there's no possibility for offspring. genetically, and physically, things are too different.

we're more closely related to chimpanzees than most tarantulas would be to each other.

even if they did somehow get confused and manage to mate with the wrong species, the offspring probably wouldn't happen.

part of the definition of a "species" in taxonomy is that they don't mate outside of their species. there's very few exceptions to that.

yeah... not so much. to pretty much all of that. like, seriously

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
Why not? Mother nature might have different opinions of what sp. is what, then we do. Man made these names, not the spiders.

Later, Tom
^This means no, and I agree with him.

splangy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Last two posts didn't make much sense (at least not to me)

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
Are you sure you agree with me ?

Later, Tom
Well, now I'm not too sure. I guess until you explain yourself furthur, I won't be sure if you agree with yourself. :?

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
Based on what? Take at least one thing I said and provide a reasonable argument for it! Give me at least a few straws to grasp at!! :)
Hybrids not possible? Brachypelma, Hysterocrates, Psalmopoeus, Avicularia(oh the headaches), etc..

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
splangy made a pretty insulting post devoid of any real information of value

i did the same :)

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Well, now I'm not too sure. I guess until you explain yourself furthur, I won't be sure if you agree with yourself. :?
Sorry if I wasn't clear, what I meant was, I think sp. do mix out in the wild , why wouldn't they ? If two separate sp. living in the same area are later determined by taxonomist to be the same sp. then technically 2 different sp use to mate out in the wild.

Like I said,

Mother nature might have different opinions of what sp. is what, then we do. Man made these names, not the spiders.
Later, Tom

bball_frk23

Arachnopeon
Idk, I read his post as things that are closely related may not be able to genetically produce offspring (which is true and false). If it's the part about the sheep herders, i believe that may have been a little sarcasm...

splangy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This probably blends with the comment above that species are man-made names, but I maintain my point is different.

My speculation would be that hybridization occurs between specimens that are not separate species but sub species, or even just different color forms. As we develop the taxonomy of tarantulas more and more, we find that a lot of these "hybrids" were actually matings between the same species that were not described well. Example: P. murinus with P. usambara turned out to be the same guys.

Part of the fundamental definition of a species is that they can mate with each other and produce viable offspring. If two different "species" are doing that, then there should be discussion to combining them into one species. If we don't use strict definitions, then taxonomy falls apart.

It may seem like splitting hairs, but it's the same sort of reasoning that demoted pluto from being a planet. :)

Yes, it's a man-made classification system, and that's why teh definition should be constant across the board.

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
Sorry if I wasn't clear, what I meant was, I think sp. do mix out in the wild , why wouldn't they ? If two separate sp. living in the same area are later determined by taxonomist to be the same sp. then technically 2 different sp use to mate out in the wild.

Like I said,

Later, Tom
Ah, yes. Then I am sure I agree with you again. :)