Breeding avicularia Metallica

Carly107

Arachnopeon
Hi guys about a month ago I got a breeding pair of Metallica. I wanted to try breeding with them first because after a lot of reading I understand that they're probably one of the more easy species to breed. I just have a couple questions I don't know if they're ready to breed or if I should wait I don't really know what the sperm web looks like my male is bigger than my female I'm not sure if that's a problem there is no rush to breed them obviously if I must wait I shall wait I just don't know how big they need to be thank you for any help or suggestions you might have
Additional information they have been in my care about a month they are both eating neither one of them has made a web home yet cages are web free except for small little web they've made here and there you can see some in the photos maybe I'm not sure . They will only be bred when I am 100% sure they are ready the amount of risk is next to none and I'm fully informed on the process and what to do that being said again any information is greatly appreciated and needed i would rather not breed them than risk losing the female if male is eatten i feel like thats the circle of life but I'd rather not lose him they are pretty expensive to replace at their size thanks again

Attachments

Last edited:

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Hi guys about a month ago I got a breeding pair of Metallica. I wanted to try breeding with them first because after a lot of reading I understand that they're probably one of the more easy species to breed. I just have a couple questions I don't know if they're ready to breed or if I should wait I don't really know what the sperm web looks like my male is bigger than my female I'm not sure if that's a problem there is no rush to breed them obviously if I must wait I shall wait I just don't know how big they need to be thank you for any help or suggestions you might have
Additional information they have been in my care about a month they are both eating neither one of them has made a web home yet cages are web free except for small little web they've made here and there you can see some in the photos maybe I'm not sure . They will only be bred when I am 100% sure they are ready the amount of risk is next to none and I'm fully informed on the process and what to do that being said again any information is greatly appreciated and needed i would rather not breed them than risk losing the female if male is eatten i feel like thats the circle of life but I'd rather not lose him they are pretty expensive to replace at their size thanks again
I can't tell from your pics, but your male needs to be mature in order to breed. Just double checking...pairing immatures will end violently every time.

The species itself gets fairly large as far as avics go. Your female should be somewhere around the 5" range before you try breeding, you can check her next molt to ensure that she is sexually mature.

Carly107

Arachnopeon
Thank you I didn't know if he and she was big enough honestly I'm actually relieved that he's not a full adult yet because if he had been I wouldnt know how much longer he had left to live so that's kind of a relief cuz I know I have at least a good three years with him I suppose I get a little bit disoriented because my pink toes an adult the plain one avicularia avicularia and I guess they're a lot smaller I didn't realize it was a different size difference between the two I'm still learning a lot I've only been in this hobby for 6 months or so I am really happy that I asked you before attempting to breed them I don't want any casualties are unnecessary stress so your advice is greatly appreciated thank you
I can't tell from your pics, but your male needs to be mature in order to breed. Just double checking...pairing immatures will end violently every time.

The species itself gets fairly large as far as avics go. Your female should be somewhere around the 5" range before you try breeding, you can check her next molt to ensure that she is sexually mature.

Carly107

Arachnopeon
Thank you I didn't know if he and she was big enough honestly I'm actually relieved that he's not a full adult yet because if he had been I wouldnt know how much longer he had left to live so that's kind of a relief cuz I know I have at least a good three years with him I suppose I get a little bit disoriented because my pink toes an adult the plain one avicularia avicularia and I guess they're a lot smaller I didn't realize it was a different size difference between the two I'm still learning a lot I've only been in this hobby for 6 months or so I am really happy that I asked you before attempting to breed them I don't want any casualties are unnecessary stress so your advice is greatly appreciated thank you
Would it be alright if I contacted you after they both molt to see where we are at in the process I hate to ask but I know no one that knows anything about them and you seems extremely knowledgeable

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Would it be alright if I contacted you after they both molt to see where we are at in the process I hate to ask but I know no one that knows anything about them and you seems extremely knowledgeable
Absolutely. Feel free to PM me anytime.

In the meantime, I would still encourage some independent research. Make sure you really feel comfortable going through with this. Breeding can be a lot of work, very time consuming...so its best to have everything prepared in advance. Your also going to want to have buyers lined up if all goes well, or at least have someone you can sell the slings to wholesale. In your case, I would recommend the latter of the two. Just makes things easier. Either way, you want/need to establish some local connections within the hobby, or you might get stuck with all the slings.

Best of luck.

cold blood

Staff member
about a month ago I got a breeding pair of Metallica
This is a common ploy to sell males...and while sometimes they are, or can become a breeding pair, this isn't always the case.
A better idea of a breeding pair would be a mature or immature sub-adult female with a very young male, or even a few slings.

A male sling can mature in a year and a half...or about 2 (or less) molt cycles for a mature female.
I just have a couple questions I don't know if they're ready to breed
Male needs to be mature as mentioned...you can see on the ends of the palps...when mature they will look different, and will not have the "pink toe" look to them (the palps) any longer. The emboli should also be fairly obvious.

These are obviously different species, but the look of the emboli is essentially the same.

You will also notice a MM to be physically different...longer legs, and an abdomen that is smaller and never plumps up.

A female can be identified as being mature by looking at a molt...the spermatheca will be darkened (there are several very recent threads that describe this in more detail).

I don't really know what the sperm web looks like
You rarely see the actual sperm web...what you will see is a thick line of webbing that's left behind (its where the actual sperm is deposited onto)...it can be on the ground, on a branch, on the lid...wherever...but when you see it, it should be fairly obvious.
my male is bigger than my female I'm not sure if that's a problem
Not necessarily, but probably. If the female isn't mature yet, the male will likely mature and possibly die before she is actually ready to be paired......this is why purchased "breeding pairs", rarely result in an actual breeding pair.

No biggie though, when the time comes, if they aren't compatible, the male will be easily sold or traded and finding another shouldn't be too hard either as there are a lot out there. MMs are both readily available, and desirable.

Avics, especially avic avics (and their morphs) are very good, if not great species to start breeding with. Generally very active and amicable.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Your also going to want to have buyers lined up
Lol, are there actually people that do this??

Lining buyers up would be akin to counting your chickens before they hatch.

Wholesaling is as easy as contacting dealers (and you will have at least a month do to so after they are hatched while you wait for them to all molt to second instar)...there are so many sellers and dealers out there that wholesaling them shouldn't be all that difficult at all.

Last edited:

Carly107

Arachnopeon
Absolutely. Feel free to PM me anytime.

In the meantime, I would still encourage some independent research. Make sure you really feel comfortable going through with this. Breeding can be a lot of work, very time consuming...so its best to have everything prepared in advance. Your also going to want to have buyers lined up if all goes well, or at least have someone you can sell the slings to wholesale. In your case, I would recommend the latter of the two. Just makes things easier. Either way, you want/need to establish some local connections within the hobby, or you might get stuck with all the slings.

Best of luck.
Thank you for the gr8 advice it is turly appreciated nice to be avlable to talk to someone who knows all the ends and outs of things i dont want to make noob mistakes and end up with problems or dead animals i will definitely keep reading and watching videos i think i have a good amount of time before they are ready as i need to be as well have a wonderful night and thank you once again

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
@cold blood I certainly have. There aren't nearly as many dealers here, and the market for tarantulas really isn't the same. Much much slower. If the big vendors already have those particular slings in stock, they won't always buy more. You guys are lucky down in the states, the market is huge...but that isn't the case here man.

Carly107

Arachnopeon
Lol, are there actually people that do this??

Lining buyers up would be akin to counting your chickens before they hatch.

Wholesaling is as easy as contacting dealers (and you will have at least a month do to so after they are hatched while you wait for them to all molt to second instar)...there are so many sellers and dealers out there that wholesaling them shouldn't be all that difficult at all.
That is fantastic to hear thank you for informing me of this i am extramly clueless to the ins and outs of the selling world i want to experience the life cycle of these beautiful animals i was reading idk if its fact or not that they have 50 to 150 slings i think i could manage them tell i am able to sell give away the majority of coure i would keep 5 or 6 as well i love them ❤ thank you for the help with this it is appreciated

Carly107

Arachnopeon
This is a common ploy to sell males...and while sometimes they are, or can become a breeding pair, this isn't always the case.
A better idea of a breeding pair would be a mature or immature sub-adult female with a very young male, or even a few slings.
That is fantastic information and gratly appreciated thank you for taking time from your day to help me it meams alot to me and the information honstly is priceless looking online isnt always productive it feels good to get soild real information from an experienced person to many points of view online and bad info thank you so much and thank you for sharing your amazing photos with me as well

Carly107

Arachnopeon

A male sling can mature in a year and a half...or about 2 (or less) molt cycles for a mature female.
Male needs to be mature as mentioned...you can see on the ends of the palps...when mature they will look different, and will not have the "pink toe" look to them (the palps) any longer. The emboli should also be fairly obvious.

These are obviously different species, but the look of the emboli is essentially the same.

You will also notice a MM to be physically different...longer legs, and an abdomen that is smaller and never plumps up.

A female can be identified as being mature by looking at a molt...the spermatheca will be darkened (there are several very recent threads that describe this in more detail).

You rarely see the actual sperm web...what you will see is a thick line of webbing that's left behind (its where the actual sperm is deposited onto)...it can be on the ground, on a branch, on the lid...wherever...but when you see it, it should be fairly obvious.

Not necessarily, but probably. If the female isn't mature yet, the male will likely mature and possibly die before she is actually ready to be paired......this is why purchased "breeding pairs", rarely result in an actual breeding pair.

No biggie though, when the time comes, if they aren't compatible, the male will be easily sold or traded and finding another shouldn't be too hard either as there are a lot out there. MMs are both readily available, and desirable.

Avics, especially avic avics (and their morphs) are very good, if not great species to start breeding with. Generally very active and amicable.

That is fantastic information and gratly appreciated thank you for taking time from your day to help me it meams alot to me and the information honstly is priceless looking online isnt always productive it feels good to get soild real information from an experienced person to many points of view online and bad info thank you so much and thank you for sharing your amazing photos with me as well

cold blood

Staff member
That is fantastic to hear thank you for informing me of this i am extramly clueless to the ins and outs of the selling world i want to experience the life cycle of these beautiful animals i was reading idk if its fact or not that they have 50 to 150 slings i think i could manage them tell i am able to sell give away the majority of coure i would keep 5 or 6 as well i love them ❤ thank you for the help with this it is appreciated
Now one thing about avc slings is that they can be a little sensitive as 1i, and they take a longer time to molt to 2i than most species (than any other species I have bred anyway)...so you really want to do your research with regards to incubators...I would have a few lined up just in case...its really weird how some work great for some, but not for others. I tried a few before I landed on what worked best for me (and it was Avicularia that motivated me to search for the best option)....look up @louise f and her incubator system...its basically the one I now use.

You could theoretically have zero or one...but a healthy avic sac should be about 60-100....more than that and its big, less and you probably had many that either weren't fertilized, or just failed to hatch...it happens.

@CEC has as much experience with hatching out Avic species as anyone....he may have more help to add that I missed or greater specifics.

Carly107

Arachnopeon
Now one thing about avc slings is that they can be a little sensitive as 1i, and they take a longer time to molt to 2i than most species (than any other species I have bred anyway)...so you really want to do your research with regards to incubators...I would have a few lined up just in case...its really weird how some work great for some, but not for others. I tried a few before I landed on what worked best for me (and it was Avicularia that motivated me to search for the best option)....look up @louise f and her incubator system...its basically the one I now use.

You could theoretically have zero or one...but a healthy avic sac should be about 60-100....more than that and its big, less and you probably had many that either weren't fertilized, or just failed to hatch...it happens.

@CEC has as much experience with hatching out Avic species as anyone....he may have more help to add that I missed or greater specifics.
Thank you so very much it truly means a lot to me I will definitely look into her incubators and contact them as the time comes near and ready everything before hand it's so nice to talk to experienced keepers I definitely don't want to do anything that could harm my babies or the babies they could have some day if you guys would like a sling when the time comes a few months down the road when they and I are ready I'll ship them to you for free lol but IDK if I can send to Canada lol

louise f

Arachnoangel
Thank you so very much it truly means a lot to me I will definitely look into her incubators and contact them as the time comes near and ready everything before hand it's so nice to talk to experienced keepers I definitely don't want to do anything that could harm my babies or the babies they could have some day if you guys would like a sling when the time comes a few months down the road when they and I are ready I'll ship them to you for free lol but IDK if I can send to Canada lol
Hey there dear. <3 :kiss: to make it easier for you,
Here's my incubater system. ;) the best of luck. <3

Tewithers15

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone new to the board I just have some questions about breeding avic metallicas just because I recently had a molt and I’m waiting to properly sex but if anyone has any helpful tips on breeding avic metallicas it would be GREATLY appreciated,
Thanks, -Trent 01C16B58-DA58-4C53-B456-06E06953A5CE.jpeg

antonio g

Arachnopeon
Hi I have 2 avicularia Metallica’s they are both male and female and matured The same time about a month apart My question is do I need to wait 6 months before I pair after her mature month so her possibilities of a fertile egg sack are greater or how do I go about this ? also my male has made its spermweb pics will be uploaded the first video is my male making the sperm web and the second is my female and is very much larger then my male

Attachments