Brachypelma molt - what is it?

Mez

Arachnoknight
Bought as a vagans, its now 4-5 inches without a dark carapace
B. albiceps?

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It certainly does look like B. albiceps. I really dig the coffee-colored carapace with the dark abdomen and red setae. Very striking.

TomM

Arachnobaron of Pennsylvania
Old Timer
The carapace doesn't look like albiceps to me. Not bright enough. The "gold-ish" color reminds me albopilosum.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Looks to be a "hobby vagans" ie hybrid Brachypelma vagans x Brachypelma albopilosum Its a well known fact both pair fairly easy and produce healthy offspring.

TomM

Arachnobaron of Pennsylvania
Old Timer
Looks to be a "hobby vagans" ie hybrid Brachypelma vagans x Brachypelma albopilosum Its a well known fact both pair fairly easy and produce healthy offspring.
That exactly what I thought as well, I didn't want to throw around the "H" word though.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That exactly what I thought as well, I didn't want to throw around the "H" word though.
Haha, I know what you mean but hybrid doesn't need to be a negative word on such a forum, you cant tell me that there aren't natural hybrid Avicularia that occur in the wild...

Mez

Arachnoknight
Wow are you serious?
I bought this from Lee at TSS as a b. vagans.
Do you want to purchase it?!

sjl197

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It certainly isnt B.albiceps.

Yes, several redrump Brachypelma spp can have light coloured or goldish carapaces, such as B.schroederi, B.verdezi, and B.albopilosum. But, here i would also be first more tempted to suggest what you have here is some sort of hybrid, yes, i suspect it could be B.albopilosum x B.sp'redrump'.

Any seller can give an less than accurate identification, and you wont get a more precise identification from a photograph alone. If a seller bought in the stock as 'B.vagans' and it looked like a 'redrump' to them, then it's normal to also sell it as 'B.vagans'. There is so much physical colour differences in spiders being sold as B.vagans, there is lots of confusion.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wow are you serious?
I bought this from Lee at TSS as a b. vagans.
Do you want to purchase it?!
I'm saying it "could be" TBH Lee buys a lot of slings off a lot of different people, I highly doubt that he has bred yours himself. Also I doubt that he would have any other reason than to believe he was actually selling Brachypelma vagans. And no, I dont want to buy it haha

I recently sold quite a few of my Brachypelma and only keep a couple right now and I'm happy with the two I have.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My vote is for hybrid also.

So you're saying all vagans in the hobby are hybrids? :?

Where do you get that info?

Mez

Arachnoknight
Well honestly i wanted to grow it up and breed it, not now. Reckon it'll go on the classifieds with a hybrid warning :( Who the hell paired two species?? Ugh....

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So you're saying all vagans in the hobby are hybrids? :?

Where do you get that info?
No, not at all...

I am saying that hybrid B.vagans x B.albopilosum get called "Hobby vagans" over here sometimes. Hence the use of "inverted commas"

:)

Mez

Arachnoknight
I dont really like the idea of purpose man made hybrids and certainly wouldnt have bought it knowing.
Are there any other known man made hybrids i should know about?

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I dont really like the idea of purpose man made hybrids and certainly wouldnt have bought it knowing.
Are there any other known man made hybrids i should know about?
I don't like the idea either, but if I WANTED a spider and bought it and it turned out to be hybrid, I wouldn't sell it just because of it being a hybrid.

Do you not like it now or something? A tarantula is a tarantula. Does being a hybrid make it any less awesome or any less of a pet?

Unless you're a hardcore breeder what difference does it make? Keep it, enjoy it, dont breed it. It will still be just as good as any other T you have, hybrid or not.

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Haha, I know what you mean but hybrid doesn't need to be a negative word on such a forum, you cant tell me that there aren't natural hybrid Avicularia that occur in the wild...
SHHHHHH! never say the H word in such context! Are you looking for a debate! lol;)