Bonnetina cyaneifemur

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
anybody have any info on this species? tempermant, growth rate, how hardy they are etc?

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Very pretty! (oops, you didn't ask that) Quick and nervous. Fairly slow growing, in my experience, but I don't powerfeed my spiders so all of mine are slow growing. I think they are hardy too. They are really really pretty.

Arachnoporium

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
B. cyaneifemur

The Bonnetina cyaneifemur are an great T in my opinion. Granted mine are only a bit over an inch, but while they are a little on the shy side they have shown no aggression and don't bolt when you are transferring them into a new enclosure (or shipping container). All customers I've shipped them to have been very happy with the new addition to their collection. I keep them like one would keep a Brachypelma species. Here is a link to a nice photo by Rick West.

http://www.birdspiders.com/archive/5F462904G3048G23A9G271A7EDC471FBC49.html

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi,

anybody have any info on this species? tempermant, growth rate, how hardy they are etc?
Note the proper spelling by "Arachnoporium"... it's Bonnetina cyaneifemur.

I hatched the first U.S. sac early last year. I'm not much into the "itchy" spiders anymore, but these will never leave my collection.

I have yet to see a photo that does them justice. A female in natural sunlight is nothing short of gorgeous.

I kept 12 specimens from my breeding, which are about 1.5 inches at the moment.

Eric

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
they are alot like brachy's as far as care goes....but a very nice T to own...

Sharpy808

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Can someone confirm this?

From what info ive found, keep slings a little on the moist side with a semi-deep substrate (like to burrow). Once they become juviniles will do fine like a bracky, dry with a water source.

Ill be getting mine in a couple weeks and just want to double check.

Thnx :)

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey Sharpy, that's exactly what I did!!!! Except I keep one corner damp, the rest dry. Did I mention how pretty they are, you really can't tell by the pictures.

Sharpy808

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thnx Iguanamama. Now im getting more anxius after hearing "have to see it person" ;)

About what size do they start getting adult colors?

Sharpy808

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well I finally got my 2 slings and moved them into new enclosures last night. I did a little cork bark hide and coco sub. The larger one (~1.25") burrowed right in but instead of flatening out the removed substrate like all my other terrestrials do, it webbed it into this cool little turrent (or tube) that sprouts out of the entrance. I like it, something different for me.

Any one else have this same type of behavior in there slings? And does this continue when adults or just a juvi thing?

And just like everyone said, they are absolutely gorgeous in person even at this little size. :clap:

harveythefly

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i have a 1 inch sling that was given to me as a gift...and i can't say enough good things about this species so far...right now she's living in a small specimen jar packed with moist gauze and she eats like a little demon! she even strikes at the tongs i use to feed her lol...after her next molt i'm going to move her into something a little bigger with a real substrate so i'll report back what i see as far as chimney webs:)

good luck with yours!

Harvey

Arachnoporium

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Opinion

Just be sure the substrate does not dry out, there is always a moist (not moldy) side (as slings drink from the substrate), feed it the right sized prey - and you are all good.

I would order vials (if you already don't) from thorntonplastics.com

As you may not wanted cases of hundreds they have a "sample set" and they are perfect, you just have to drill some air holes. They will really aid you in preventing dessication.

Overall, they are a hearty species like Brachypelma and should be fine.

Can someone confirm this?

From what info ive found, keep slings a little on the moist side with a semi-deep substrate (like to burrow). Once they become juviniles will do fine like a bracky, dry with a water source.

Ill be getting mine in a couple weeks and just want to double check.

Thnx :)

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi,
Note the proper spelling by "Arachnoporium"... it's Bonnetina cyaneifemur.
Can I assume from the name ( cyaneifemur ) that they have blue leggs ? Is that why the pics don't do it justice ?

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Can I assume from the name ( cyaneifemur ) that they have blue leggs ? Is that why the pics don't do it justice ?[/QUOTE

Blue femur's to be more specific and as the name implies, and yes they need to be in appropriate light to really show it off.

Bill

harveythefly

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Can I assume from the name ( cyaneifemur ) that they have blue leggs ? Is that why the pics don't do it justice ?
yep...blue femurs...and the legs are black otherwise with a rusty red cephalothorax and abdomen...really is one of the prettiest tarantulas i've owned...even if she is tiny right now:)

Harvey

Sharpy808

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Update: Slings are doing very well, smaller one molted, both at 1.25" I think. The larger original is in pre-molt i think, refuseing food etc. Havnt seen anything more then a toe or at the most half a leg... shy little buggers.

Question: Hoping Eric (goTerps) or Bill can help me out on this one... Ive been researching both the Cyan. and Rudloffi (sp) and I absolutely cannot see and difference between the 2, especially on the 2 pics in the Bonnetina gallery. (cant remember who had the one posted, but both shots same camera and appears same flash, next to a ruler).

So what are the major discerning differences between these two? :?

Thnx

Moderators - Could you be so kind as to fix the spelling on the Thread title? I would like to make this a good resource thread for this species as it doesnt seem to come up all that often.

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ive been researching both the Cyan. and Rudloffi (sp) and I absolutely cannot see and difference between the 2, especially on the 2 pics in the Bonnetina gallery. (cant remember who had the one posted, but both shots same camera and appears same flash, next to a ruler).

So what are the major discerning differences between these two?
You're not going to notice much difference. (This is assuming the stuff in the hobby is really 2 different species to begin with).

You used to be able to download the description papers from the GEA site, but they'll be in French. If you want them I can email them to you.

I do recall Vol mentioning that the biggest difference lies in the mature males?

Eric

Sharpy808

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok so this is going right along the lines of what the breeder I got mine from was saying. He also thinks they may actaully be the same T just that there is a slight difference in the male coloration.

TY very much Eric :)

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
cant remember who had the one posted, but both shots same camera and appears same flash, next to a ruler).
Thanks for looking. ;)

I do recall Vol mentioning that the biggest difference lies in the mature males?
Do you remember what the differances were? I still have the male (in alcohol)
I'd like the paper if you dont mind Eric. Philth@optonline.net

Thanks, Tom