boa not eating

Chilobrachys

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My columbian rainbow boa has just recently started refusing food, I've wasted 2 rats so far. Other than that she is very active. I managed to get her to eat ten days ago (I feed her a small-medium frozen/thawed rat every ten days), but it took some time, she usually accepts the prey item right away. I keep a red light on her, from what I understand they cannot see red lights. Is it possible that she is going by the photo period outside and is brumating. If not what else could it be. I keep it 75 degree in the day and 77 at night, there is about a 5 degree thermal gradient in the cage. In the morning a give her a good spray that boosts the humidity up to about 80 percent, then I let it dry out throughout the day. Any ideas?

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What kind of cage is she in? Could she be a male? Are you sure? Where is her enclosure located?

Anyway, with cooler weather comes slower feedings. You can adjust indoors all you want, but many snakes know what's really going on. Maybe start feeding smaller and less often for awhile.

jere000

Arachnosquire
What is the hot spot at?It also sounds like you have him in a glass tank I suggest getting a sterilite tub, under tank heater, and thermostat.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What is the hot spot at?It also sounds like you have him in a glass tank I suggest getting a sterilite tub, under tank heater, and thermostat.
That really only works if you have a rack to put it in. But, yes, I am also thinking glass...not always the best option.

jere000

Arachnosquire
That really only works if you have a rack to put it in. But, yes, I am also thinking glass...not always the best option.
That's not true I don't have rack but have 6 boas setup in sterilite containers?

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's not true I don't have rack but have 6 boas setup in sterilite containers?

Than do, please explain. Elaborate on your set-up. I guess I am not following you. Sorry.

jere000

Arachnosquire
Than do, please explain. Elaborate on your set-up. I guess I am not following you. Sorry.
It's simple I have sterilite containers spread all over my room with heat pads under them and thermostats hooked up to them.It takes up space when you don't have rack but since we're talking about one snake I see no space issues.

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Since she has been a good eater in the past I wouldn't worry so much. I have had pythons, boas, rat snakes, etc. all go off feeding from time to time. Unless she shows signs of illness or loses weight there's no reason to panic. Good luck.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
How large and how old is your boa? An adult eats only once a month and a larger subadult would only need to eat every couple of weeks. Ten days just might be too often to be feeding your snake now. As previously stated, I wouldn't worry unless your boa starts losing weight. I've had them refuse food for a couple months and start eating again like they never stopped.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How large and how old is your boa? An adult eats only once a month and a larger subadult would only need to eat every couple of weeks. Ten days just might be too often to be feeding your snake now. As previously stated, I wouldn't worry unless your boa starts losing weight. I've had them refuse food for a couple months and start eating again like they never stopped.
Hmm...once a month?! Depends on what you feed. Rabbits? Yes. Rats? No. I keep mine on rats, so feeding every other week is a good regimen.

jere000

Arachnosquire
Hmm...once a month?! Depends on what you feed. Rabbits? Yes. Rats? No. I keep mine on rats, so feeding every other week is a good regimen.
I agree here every other week.But some people feed their breeder males once monthly and since we're talking rainbows I'm no expert.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree here every other week.But some people feed their breeder males once monthly and since we're talking rainbows I'm no expert.

Yes, I feed rats once a month. One medium to large rat to an adult male CRB. That is all they need. You are feeding too often if you have an adult. Mine is not a breeder. You're just going to keep worrying your head off your shoulders if you keep feeding him on that regimen.

Last edited:

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Though recent studies have shown that feeding near starvation will increase lifespan, is it really humane to do so? Quality vs quantity.

I know what I'm doing, so you don't have to worry about me or my animals. ;)

Do you raise your own rodents? I feed F/T and the difference between med and large is quite significant. What weights do you feed? That may better help me understand.

jere000

Arachnosquire
Though recent studies have shown that feeding near starvation will increase lifespan, is it really humane to do so? Quality vs quantity.

Do you raise your own rodents? I feed F/T and the difference between med and large is quite significant. What weights do you feed? That may better help me understand.
Once a month is by no means starving.Once again I'm not rainbow boas so take it with little relevance if you feel so.I had a BRB at one point got her with a respiratory infection and cleared it up.Shortly after one of my friends wanted her so I sold her to him.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No. It's not starving. It was just an example to illustrate a bizarre and extreme method of "care". If we have different methods, so be it. I take great pride in my animals and I can assure anyone they are the epitome of health.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer

As jere said, it is by no means starvation. My boa is in perfect health and of perfect weight. It seems you are just taking offense to the suggestion that what is considered healthy in the hobby might be detrimental to the animal's health as suggested in another thread you commented in. Feeding once a month is perfectly fine for an adult boa and is not "extreme" as you put it.

I'm not telling you what to do with your animals and I don't understand where you got that idea. I was directing "You're just going to keep worrying your head off your shoulders if you keep feeding him on that regimen." to the original poster.

I do not raise my own rodents. I buy them from Big Cheese. Mostly he gets medium that are 90-150g and the occasional smaller large that is around 180-200g.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Isn't Big Cheese the BEST?!?! I love them!

Anyway...sorry, I thought you were aiming directives at jere and me. Looks like we are agreed now as well. :)

jere000

Arachnosquire
No. It's not starving. It was just an example to illustrate a bizarre and extreme method of "care". If we have different methods, so be it. I take great pride in my animals and I can assure anyone they are the epitome of health.
What kind of rainbows do you have?

jere000

Arachnosquire
Brazilian.
Cool you should post some pics up some time.I really don't know what is a healthy feeding regimen for adult rainbows.I have only had a neonate rainbow who I fed every other week.