Black Widows

Bugged Out

Arachnopeon
People actually pay for these things?

Can someone please give me some info about the trade of the these things!

I grew up in the SJV of Cali and learned to hate these things. I was bitten once and my arm blew up to the size of a summer squash.

Bejezuz...some of the people here actually sell them...and people buy them?

I'm sitting on a gold mine. Can a native sell these things?

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
i love "these things"

and you're not going to be a rich man by selling a few spiders. also, you might be wise to check your state's stance on selling native WC animals. not to say that people don't do it all the time, but...

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
People also buy Lady Gaga albums by the truckload...there's just no accounting for taste. I'll trade you a truckload of Gaga for a meat purse and your widows J/K

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
i love "these things"

and you're not going to be a rich man by selling a few spiders. also, you might be wise to check your state's stance on selling native WC animals. not to say that people don't do it all the time, but...

+1

But if you can get "these things" to your customers alive and healthy, you can make some pocket change.

spider pest

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't mean to be rude, but I would not be comfortable ordering or trusting packaging from someone with the attitude of "people actually pay for these things?"

Bugged Out

Arachnopeon
I don't mean to be rude, but I would not be comfortable ordering or trusting packaging from someone with the attitude of "people actually pay for these things?"
Mellow out...That wasn't a personal attack on anyone who likes them and wants to buy them. When I was growing up they were all over the place. Under wood, irrigation pipes crawling out from under any object that stayed in one place for more than a day or two. I just find it interesting that people like them and would be willing to pay for them.

spider pest

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mellow out...That wasn't a personal attack on anyone who likes them and wants to buy them. When I was growing up they were all over the place. Under wood, irrigation pipes crawling out from under any object that stayed in one place for more than a day or two. I just find it interesting that people like them and would be willing to pay for them.
I thought my reply was pretty mellow...

I didn't think it was a personal attack on anyone. However, your first post here included the following:

-People actually pay for these things?

-Can someone please give me some info about the trade of the these things!

-I...learned to hate these things.

-Bejezuz...some of the people here actually sell them...and people buy them?

-I'm sitting on a gold mine.

This gives an impression that is very different than the statement "I just find it interesting that people like them and would be willing to pay for them." you followed up with.

I don't think it's a good idea for a person who doesn't know what they're doing to start mailing venomous spiders around trying to make a few bucks...

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
I don't think it's a good idea for a person who doesn't know what they're doing to start mailing venomous spiders around trying to make a few bucks...
haha, not to mention that it is technically illegal to mail venomous spiders through the common, cheap mail-carriers (USPS, which is what most people use). spiders are actually kind of fragile, so care should be taken (and research done!) to do it properly.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

I didn't think it was a personal attack on anyone. However, your first post here included the following:

This gives an impression that is very different than the statement "I just find it interesting that people like them and would be willing to pay for them." you followed up with.

People say the same things about Ts and scorps.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i got a black widow that i caught in north carolina, she climbed up my hand and almost into my jacket sleeve before i realized what it was....i love her, and plan on catching alot more when i go back next september

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bugged Out; said:
Blah blah blah...
Collect half those widows and very shortly you will see a population drop off (or worse you will facilitate the spread of Latrodectus geometricus).

If your post was even half serious... Go away, please.

Bugged Out

Arachnopeon
Great! That's all I need...Someone from New Jersey making a judgement call about me.

Calm down. I bet you do nothing but scour this and other forums just looking for someone to say the slightest thing that you think you can jump on.

Okay --- You're a hero. Now what are you going to do with the rest of your life?;P

Novatsk

Arachnopeon
widows xD

I have some 5th generation CB widows at the moment they just made some sacs about a day ago! the original mother of them died last year in october she was in inch and a half.. She was awesome instead of being shy and hiding when i opened the lid she'd rush out and try to stick you with some web.. but yeah as far as selling them i have and shipped them too.. right now i have some orange widows which i'm trying to prove out hopefully they do.. then im going to make an all black widow.. should be nice .. i already have the red out of the connecting part of the hourglass xD

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have some 5th generation CB widows at the moment they just made some sacs about a day ago! the original mother of them died last year in october she was in inch and a half.. She was awesome instead of being shy and hiding when i opened the lid she'd rush out and try to stick you with some web.. but yeah as far as selling them i have and shipped them too.. right now i have some orange widows which i'm trying to prove out hopefully they do.. then im going to make an all black widow.. should be nice .. i already have the red out of the connecting part of the hourglass xD
Lets pretend this was the original post in this otherwise useless thread. How do you go about selective breeding and what species are you using? Do you look for something specifically when you collect them from the wild or do you only breed abnormal spiders from your clutches?

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If your post is anything other than complete crap then please enlighten all us other latro keepers about your methods.

I have never heard of anyone managing more than 3 generations of a CB line of any species...let alone selectively breeding them. :?

Last edited by a moderator:

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
If your post is anything other than complete crap then please enlighten all us other latro keepers about your methods.

I have never heard of anyone managing more than 3 generations of a CB line of any species...let alone selectively breeding them. :?
yes, i agree, please enlighten.

jeffh has done a ton of this stuff though. the better documented one i remember him doing was selectively breeding bishopi to produce one with a full/complete glass. and surprisingly, it actually worked a bit. took the best looking female, mated with the best and fullest-glass male, took the best slings, and repeated. course i think he stopped that at the third generation too come to think of it.

anywhere past the 3rd gen is pretty hard it seems. unless maybe you replenish with WC's or something.

and what are you talking about with "orange?" the glass or something?

Last edited by a moderator:

Novatsk

Arachnopeon
Here we Go! xD

Ok so yeah it started about 6 years ago (05) i ran into my first one "Alice" about 1/2in average L. Hesperus .. she had probably already mated that year because i had a sac by september which i remember hatched october 13 .. i kept all the babies but only stayed in the end with the largest ones and more appealing ones..
About her 2 (06) sac i mated her with the largest male i have ever seen he was 1/3.. that sac had this female widow with some white in the hourglass but it was mostly red i kept her a year later i mated her with this orange looking male he had orange stripes with some white around the edges like an l. mactans ..
In 07 i got from her a female with almost all the striping patterns of an l. mactans.. i mated her with another male i got from another sac her mother made ... 08 the female with the patterns matured and the striping went away.. but the white faded and made the red look orange-pink.. she layed a sac in december
09 i got this female i have right now she did have stripes at first but they went away but instead of red it was orange-pink and when she matured last year i mated her with a male i got from her mother her half brother.. so last year i mated this orange houglass female from the 09 sac and they just molted from 1-2 instars .. and im hoping they all have orange houglasses if not most to prove her...
*only the male widows i got were wild caught
sorry if i made you guys belive they were competely orange .. they are partially .. but they dont have any red
**LOL
R.I.P. Alice ='(

Last edited:

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
Ok so yeah it started about 6 years ago (05) i ran into my first one "Alice" about 1/2in average L. Hesperus .. she had probably already mated that year because i had a sac by september which i remember hatched october 13 .. i kept all the babies but only stayed in the end with the largest ones and more appealing ones..
About her 2 (06) sac i mated her with the largest male i have ever seen he was 1/3.. that sac had this female widow with some white in the hourglass but it was mostly red i kept her a year later i mated her with this orange looking male he had orange stripes with some white around the edges like an l. mactans ..
In 07 i got from her a female with almost all the striping patterns of an l. mactans.. i mated her with another male i got from another sac her mother made ... 08 the female with the patterns matured and the striping went away.. but the white faded and made the red look orange-pink.. she layed a sac in december
09 i got this female i have right now she did have stripes at first but they went away but instead of red it was orange-pink and when she matured last year i mated her with a male i got from her mother her half brother.. so last year i mated this orange houglass female from the 09 sac and they just molted from 1-2 instars .. and im hoping they all have orange houglasses if not most to prove her...
*only the male widows i got were wild caught
sorry if i made you guys belive they were competely orange .. they are partially .. but they dont have any red
**LOL
R.I.P. Alice ='(
just a few things- leg measurements (as opposed to body measurements) might be a little easier for everyone to understand. plus they are more accurate as the body measurements (and most people include abdomen) can change. cephalothorax measurements would be ok, but most people wouldn't really get a good picture with that unless they are pretty familiar with the species.

also WHAT, as you can see (and somewhat already alluded to), i guess it wasn't a true 3rd gen type thing b/c there were replenishments (with the males) that were WC. so we were correct in that thinking. it really is hard to get past that 3rd gen strictly using your own spiders. seems that way anyways. not that it can't be done, just is hard.

also, the "orangy"-type glass is a variation. i would be very impressed if you could selectively breed into the line a green hourglass :D but it is a variation sometimes found in nature. so is the lack of an hourglass altogether (have pics), the mature females retaining juvenile coloration (there are pictures), and so on and so forth.

it is pretty cool though that you have 5 lines of females though. gotta love the progeny ;)