Biggest T on board?

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I had this idea where we could take pics of our T's next to a ruler to determine who has the largest T on the forum. We could do different species and such, like who has the biggest L. parahybana and P. ornata etc.

I thought it would be pretty cool to see who has what and so we can all go WOW, GEEZ look at how huge that Chilean Copper is ;)

Just an idea,
Jim B.

7.5" T. blondi
7" L. parahybana (about to molt)
not big enough yet... ;P

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Looks like Arachnopunks may have the biggest T. blondi at (he guesses) 11+ inches. Truly a massive specimen.

Jim B.

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I also like to have something in the pic for comparison like a quarter or dollar bill. But, you can't deny how massive she is. She simply dwarfs my 7.5" male :(

Jim B.

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
object for size comparison...

Uhh if youre going to use an object for size comparison call me crazy but wouldnt a ruler work best? :) Sorry but I hear so many claimed 10 inch Ts but have yet to see one standing on a ruler to prove it.

Phil

nemesis6sic6

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
WelL

Yeah is T is pretty big 11" is big thats the size of my.....book i'm reading about Imperialism. Um any ways... I wanna see a ruler too though just to be sure..well have a nice day
geo

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
the largest T i have ever seen next too a ruler was 8 inches, that was an l.parahybana this guy had on his web site

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
that's my point...

A regular sheet of notebook paper is 8 and 1/2 by 11 now when you think of a that can cover a sheet of paper top to bottom that's one big honkin T. I just can't help but feel that more often than not folks are guessing rather than actually measuring.

Phil

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Re: that's my point...

Originally posted by Phillip
A regular sheet of notebook paper is 8 and 1/2 by 11 now when you think of a that can cover a sheet of paper top to bottom that's one big honkin T. I just can't help but feel that more often than not folks are guessing rather than actually measuring.

Phil

Phillip whats your largest T you have right now

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Agreed Philip - and then there is the old argument of how to correctly measure legspan. USing the "width" method would give most adult Poecilotheria a legspan of around 3 inches....

I think a fairer way is

Tip of Right Leg I --------> Tip of Left Leg IV

Or perhaps

Tip of Right Leg II --------> Tip of Left Leg III

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I was under the impression that the correct way to measure size was:

Tip of Right Leg I --------> Tip of Left Leg IV

but with the tarantula in a normal resting position, not all stretched out.
Its not a perfect science though.

Ralph

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The largest we have here its a Tie between the Female Rosehaired and the Female Orange Usambra Baboon. But when our T.Blondi grows up he/she will be the biggest :)

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The most commonly used method of measuring theraphosid LEGSPAN is indeed diagonally from Leg I to Leg IV, tarsal tip to tarsal tip.

Of course, not all tarantulas are made equally. A given L. parahybana might look bigger but lack a few mm of legspan compared to a less 'fuzzy' or 'chunky' T. blondi.

That said, I've got one MONSTER blondi right now. I may measure later and post it. One of the biggest ones I had a few months ago was just a tad under 10" when measured (non-relaxed).

BTW, measuring is almost always approximate. Without exuviae or a dead specimen, you're never going to get the full legspan (relaxed). Ever try to yank a T. blondi's legs out from under it?

bill

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
OK, I measured. She's approximately 9 1/4" in legspan and approx. 4 1/4" body length from spinnerets to chelicerae (not palps). A pretty big girl!

bill

neveragain

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by invertepet
OK, I measured. She's approximately 9 1/4" in legspan and approx. 4 1/4" body length from spinnerets to chelicerae (not palps). A pretty big girl!

bill
pics would be nice :)

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Yeah, pics..... next to a Volkswagen!!!:p

Nice size... mine's just 2", how long of a wait do I have?

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by MizM
Yeah, pics..... next to a Volkswagen!!!:p

Nice size... mine's just 2", how long of a wait do I have?
I guess size really doesn't matter. :rolleyes:

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Shoooooooot... 2" isn't bad... FOR A GIRL!!!

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by invertepet

bill
Hey bill when do you think you can get some pics of that bad boy