Best starter Old World Tarantula for a beginner in the trade?

RatKing216

Arachnopeon
So here I am once again. Totally in love with Idea of owning an OBT. But not sure due to the speed and aggression. I wouldn't mind a Cobalt Blue otherwise as well. But I leave it in your hands for help. What is everyone's suggestions as far as a starter OW would be concerned? I have 1 T thusfar. She is a 1 1/2" Green Bottle Blue. Also I understand everyone hates common names, but since I'm new could we try and post the common along with the Scientific name? I might learn one day! Lastly, has anyone ever seen one of those Rattlesnake Tarantulas out of Australia!!??!! Those are SOOO sweet!!! They look sexy as hell too! That may sound a bit weird but just look at them sometime! YouTube it! :)

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
P. murinus is one of the best starter species of OW tarantulas. They are inexpensive & pretty hardy. Besides, I find it fairly easy to keep my eyes on a bright orange blob ;)

If you aren't sure, i'd recommend checking out Psalmopoeus irminia (suntiger), cambridgei (trinidad chevron), or reduncus (Costa Rican orange mouth) or something like a Tapinauchenius gigas (orange treespider.) All pretty speedy, and some (irminia) are more defensive then others, but they are NW so the venom is less potent (not to say theirs isn't bad at all) & don't urticating hairs. They are perfect stepping stone species :)

Armstrong5

Arachnosquire
I wouldnt recommend any haplo bc all you get is a boring pet hole you never know what they r doing even if you start a burrow in a corner so you can see it bc they just put thick web over the glass so you cant see in. I would recommend and obt or like the other guy said a p.irminia

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I wouldnt recommend any haplo bc all you get is a boring pet hole you never know what they r doing even if you start a burrow in a corner so you can see it bc they just put thick web over the glass so you cant see in. I would recommend and obt or like the other guy said a p.irminia
Horned baboons are pretty cool as well.

arachnofreak95

Arachnopeon
What about Eucratoscelus pachypus (stoutleg baboon)? They still have speed just like any other baboon, but they aren't nearly as defensive as some other OW tarantulas. They will be pretty defensive inside their burrows, but they are considered to be pretty mellow for OW. At least that's the impression I've gotten from what other people say, and I haven't ever even gotten a threat pose from mine.

Last edited:

Imbrium

Arachnopeon
My E. pachypus is a sweetheart. She was my first OW and I'd definitely recommend one. She is quite pet holey though. At least mine was nice enough to burrow against the side. Here's my girly, Priscilla:

I need to coax her out for a new pic since she molted.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
IMHO,E.pachypus.... No OW that is more calm that this....

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Seems like the only bad thing about them is that they aren't readily available? Seems like several people had the for sale last summer, then they just kinda disappeared.

Tindalos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Obts are fun, Ive had no problems with them...just dont touch. first OW I ever got. The easiest T to deal with I have. Any haplo are just holes, they get boring.

RatKing216

Arachnopeon
What if I'm looking for a bit of a slower moving Old World though? Any suggestions on something slow to medium on their speed? Also, as I mentioned at the start of the thread, what is everyones thoughts on those Rattlesnake Tarantulas?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A slow moving OW is... a relative thing. Since they don't have urticating hairs, they are just generally more prone to run, threat display or bite than their NW counterparts. Even fat, clunky NW T's like Grammostolas and Brachypelmas are capable of blinding speed when they feel it is necessary. OW are just more prone to feel that necessity, and some are genuinely faster as well.

That said... some less feisty OW T's would be from the Ceratogyrus genus (horned baboons) E. pachypus (already mentioned) or, if arboreal is your bag, a P. regalis or L. violaceopes. P. murinus (OBT) or P. lugardi (Ft. Hall) are fairly excitable and fast moving but still relatively easy as OW goes, especially the lugardi. They are also fairly cheap.

I'd steer clear of Haplopelmas and other moisture loving burrowers until you have a bit more experience. They can be a real challenge both in terms of rehousing/handling and their high-moisture care requirements.

As for the rattlesnake T, I'm not sure they're available in the states for any price. Australia isn't that enthusiastic about exporting their native fauna.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
I second the suggestions of P. lugardi and E. pachypus. Both will burrow, but both tend to have a bit better disposition than say, P. murinus.
If you are into arboreals, some Poecilotheria are quite tame as old world goes. P. miranda, P. metallica, P. formosa seem to be on the calm side. In fact my P. metallica (see my avatar) and P. miranda were among the calmest of my spiders, even more than some of my new world ones.
But if you find a different species that catches your eye, buy a sling and you will get to know your spider and its reactions as it grows.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm tellin ya, Ceratogyrus is a somewhat overlooked but awesome genus. They're a lot less feisty than some OW's and they have fantastic burrowing behavior. Plus, they have horns! How cool is that? Also they're pretty hardy, not unlike OBT's in that way.

kellysaxez

Arachnosquire
P. murinus is one of the best starter species of OW tarantulas. They are inexpensive & pretty hardy. Besides, I find it fairly easy to keep my eyes on a bright orange blob ;)

If you aren't sure, i'd recommend checking out Psalmopoeus irminia (suntiger), cambridgei (trinidad chevron), or reduncus (Costa Rican orange mouth) or something like a Tapinauchenius gigas (orange treespider.) All pretty speedy, and some (irminia) are more defensive then others, but they are NW so the venom is less potent (not to say theirs isn't bad at all) & don't urticating hairs. They are perfect stepping stone species :)
HI NikiP. I am in the process of setting up for the purchase of a 1" P. Murinas and folks I talk to on some boards are freaking out. "OBT as a first OW t is ridiculous, too dangerous for a starter or for folks used only to NW like yourself...blah blah blah." Now, I am all for using caution and being extremely mindful of my "surroundings" and have about 6 years experience keeping t's, two G. Rosea, one LP, one GBB and now looking to add an OW and would like to proceed with the P. mourners. Could you tell me, please, what your positives are for this being a good beginner species for a new OW keeper? Thanks so much, Kelly

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
HI NikiP. I am in the process of setting up for the purchase of a 1" P. Murinas and folks I talk to on some boards are freaking out. "OBT as a first OW t is ridiculous, too dangerous for a starter or for folks used only to NW like yourself...blah blah blah." Now, I am all for using caution and being extremely mindful of my "surroundings" and have about 6 years experience keeping t's, two G. Rosea, one LP, one GBB and now looking to add an OW and would like to proceed with the P. mourners. Could you tell me, please, what your positives are for this being a good beginner species for a new OW keeper? Thanks so much, Kelly
The positives have already been said(4 years ago so I doubt you'll get an answer from the person you quoted), they're cheap and hardy.

With that said, they're not a great first OW species for other more important reasons since they tend to try to escape more than some species and are more enclined to brave you and bite rather than flee than others.

BTW, I'm one of the minority around here who think people should get whatever they want(once they get enough experience caring for Ts in general) if they have what it takes(staying calm, being careful and thinking before you act is extremely important with OW) and feel ready and I love OBTs so I'm not saying this lightly.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Bro this thread is 4 years old. You're probably not going to get an answer.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
First of, this thread is old.. 2015 is a whole different story than in 2011.

Second, I don't think the folks here "blah blah blah" for nothing, there's a reason why OW ts such as OBTs are advised against for beginners, they are not even a good starter OW. Yeah sure, they are hardy, cheap and always available but does it outweigh the cons? They tend too try and escape more often, they'd rather greet you with their fangs before attempting to retreat, they are fast, not to mention one of the OWs with the most potent venom.

You have 6 years experience with a g. Rosea, LP and GBB.. get more NW tropical terrestrials or try NW aboreals (psalmos and tapies), before diving into the deep end.

Anyone can have 20 years experience with a G. Rosea or B. Albo, but that does not make them experienced enough or even prepare them for an OW.

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
You have 6 years experience with a g. Rosea, LP and GBB.. get more NW tropical terrestrials or try NW aboreals (psalmos and tapies), before diving into the deep end.

Anyone can have 20 years experience with a G. Rosea or B. Albo, but that does not make them experienced enough or even prepare them for an OW.
The GBB on the other hand is a good middle ground between calmer Ts and an OBT because of their speed and they also web a lot.

There's no need to follow some arbitrary ladder of species to own until you reach the one you actually want(except for the first one) as long as you have the right qualities for keeping harder ones. Some people should never get one and some can without any problems, it depends more on the person than the actual experience(if you have a certain minimum amount of course).

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
The GBB on the other hand is a good middle ground between calmer Ts and an OBT because of their speed and they also web a lot.

There's no need to follow some arbitrary ladder of species to own until you reach the one you actually want(except for the first one) as long as you have the right qualities for keeping harder ones. Some people should never get one and some can without any problems, it depends more on the person than the actual experience(if you have a certain minimum amount of course).
I agree with you completely on the GBB.. I personally would try a psalmo or tapie before getting an OW.. they are a way better introduction to OW ts and just to get a feel for it..

I disagree with you on the arbitrary ladder, however.. it would be just as good as telling someone who never even read up on tarantulas, to get an OBT.. there needs to be practical experience with faster and more defensive Ts before getting an OW.. but jumping from gbb to obt? Eh... gbb is great to advance, but not a great intro to OWs whereas psalmos and tapies fits the bill perfectly..

Last edited: