Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Best starter Old World Tarantula for a beginner in the trade?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by RatKing216, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Poec54

Poec54 Arachnoemperor Active Member

USA
    Advertisement

You don't know that. I can picture someone sitting in front of a keyboard in their bathrobe, their head bobbing from periodically nodding off, as they keep refreshing their screen hoping for a response.

---------- Post added 03-05-2015 at 03:44 PM ----------

- The 'ladder' isn't arbitrary. It's very logical and though out. Keeps people from getting in over their heads, which in turn has an effect on the people and pets they live with. It's not just all about 'Me, me, me.'

- 'Right qualities'? That's the problem, when they skip rungs on the ladder, they often don't know what the right qualities are for a couple rungs up.

What's the hurry?

• Like Like x 8
  2. Graeboe

Graeboe Arachnoknight

I hope they at least took shower breaks

• Like Like x 1
  3. lalberts9310

lalberts9310 Arachnoprince

My point exactly, a GBB is great to advance, but wouldn't prep for an OW, ESPECIALY not for an OBT.. thus why I suggest more NW tropical terrestrials or NW aboreals..

• Like Like x 2
  4. kellysaxez

kellysaxez Arachnosquire

CNY
    Well chastised and will take your advice. I've changed my mind anyway. NO sense fighting city hall. Let the more experienced hobbyists tackle the troublesome T's. I'm a 50 year old retired addictions therapist that used to work in the penal system. That was enough stress for me. No sense inviting unwanted stress back into my life. I'll stick with something like a curly hair, or maybe brave a P. metalica even before I ever think about and OBT. Thank you so much for your advice and the reprimand about being brave enough on the boards to speak my mind.

Be well

• Like Like x 1
  5. gambite

gambite Arachnoprince Old Timer

MD
    I am not really big on the "starter species" concept. If you want an OBT, get an OBT. Just make sure you know what you are getting into. They are not really that bad though.

EDIT: oh wow talk about necrothreading lol

6. Sam_Peanuts

Sam_Peanuts Arachnobaron

We'll never agree on that one so I won't say much.

It's not a question of being in a hurry or not, I just don't see a reason for waiting past a certain point where you know mostly what to expect(you'll never expect everything from a T though) if you're comfortable with the idea and have acquirement basic T keeping experience. And if you live alone with no pets, it can be just about "Me, me me.". If not, then yes, that's something to consider.

As for the right qualities they don't have to discover them if I tell them, it boils down to how calm you are in difficult situations and if you're generally a careful person. If not, then that would be a good idea to go at it with lots of increments like you suggest, but if you already have those qualities, you won't gain much(in my opinion and personal experience) other than knowing the specific caracteristics of the T you keep which won't help much for the next one.

7. lalberts9310

Nobody here is saying this just to say it.. there's a reason behind everyone's advice and opinions.. and the biggest reason behind it all is for the sake of the survival of the hobby.. taking that you are 50 years of age makes me think you're more sensible and responsible.. I'm not being mean or rude but we take this hobby and tarantulas very seriously.. try out a psalmopoeus Irminia, or tapinauchenius.. they grow fast, try getting a juvenile or sub-adult.. if you do fine with those I don't think there's a problem with getting an OW..

• Like Like x 3
  8. kellysaxez

kellysaxez Arachnosquire

CNY
    A. I realize the age of the post, but why not ask anyway? IF I didn't get an answer that's okay. I'm only attempting to get as many differing opinions and weight the pro's and con's of a choice point.

B. I'm NOT a bro, thank you kindly.

9. gambite

gambite Arachnoprince Old Timer

MD
    The idea of "working up a ladder" of species is silly because it involves purchasing a bunch of animals that you don't necessarily want before getting the one you DO want. I don't think thats the mentality that one should have when getting animals as pets. Though its definitely good to get some experience before getting something with a crazy temperament, this does not necessarily mean you have to buy a ton of extras.

10. kellysaxez

kellysaxez Arachnosquire

CNY
    Well said Sam. I'm a 50 year old retired addictions therapist that spent the majority of the last years of my career working in the prison/penal system, IN the facilities themselves actually. Not that that makes much of a difference when it comes to a creature that is as mute and irrational as an OBT, but what it does mean is that I have the temperament that is patient, cautious, mindful, and ready for the moment to change in a heartbeat and respond wisely rather than react emotionally or irrationally, and, truth be told, Ive been "dissuaded" by so many, one even stating that "it's a man's world". Go figure. Anyway, I've gone back and forth now from a Curly hair to a Horned baboon and have finally settled on a rather rare and new species to keepers. The Encyocratella olivacea. It's a 2.5" sling and, I'm told, Less aggressive then the OBT and less inclined to dash at me.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Sam_Peanuts

Sam_Peanuts Arachnobaron

I can't comment on their temperament, but since OBTs have pretty much the worst reputation, it's not hard to find less aggressive out there.

I'm actually going to buy two 1/2" Encyocratella olivacea sling on the 22nd(as well as a bunch of others), they're at the very top of my wishlist.

12. Angel Minkov

Angel Minkov Arachnobaron

All this fuss with OBTs... With a little common sense and ACTUAL experience (studying your spiders reactions to different things, rehouses and so on), everyone can handle them. Ive always been convinced that even with 10 years of experience with aggressive species, if it wants to tag me, it inadvertently will. Everyone decides for himself if he is ready. And, imo, a bad thing to do (and proof you are not ready) is asking for advice on a forum.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Agreed! When I get ready for my singapore blue, I am not asking a single soul here "if I should."

(not getting one anytime soon, but already know I won't tell a soul until I can refer to it "what? this old thing?")

• Like Like x 1
  14. miss moxie

miss moxie Arachnoprince

Boy. I've seen some people get defensive when they aren't given the answer they want-- but I've never seen them try to breathe life into a four year old thread to get the 'okay' from someone who they hope will tell them what they want to hear.

"Daaaad- mom said I can't have a red ryder bb gun, can I have a red ryder bb gun?!"

Next he'll try writing to Santa, perhaps?

• Like Like x 6
  15. gobey

gobey Arachnoknight

I just got my Ts... You guys are here for things I have questions about as I raise them when I run into things that stump me.

Not to make my decisions for me.

Most people I wager starting a thread like "should I get an OBT" are going to get that OBT anyways.

Seems here though somebody actually listened. Which is cool.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jealous -- how does one retire at 50? You must have invested or saved better than I. lol
    I have a few clients with addictions -- very manipulative population in my more limited experience. Don't know how you dealt with that as a career.

Had to google this one -- pretty! Don't know anything about their temperament or requirements.

• Like Like x 1
  17. lalberts9310

And people are here to warn against the dangers of rushing into things, warning against bad decisions.. bad decisions leads to a bad reputation for the hobby and tarantulas.. the hobby you love, the tarantuals you love.. we don't make decisions for people, we just try to contribute to making better, safer and wiser decisions..

If better decisions are made.. there won't be bite reports, and there won't be threads that sounds more or less like this: "my obt escaped, please help, it's my first T and I don't want to lose it!" or "I just got my first T, it's an OBT, how do I care for it? Can I hold it?"

No running the risk of certain species being banned..

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  18. Poec54

Poec54 Arachnoemperor Active Member

USA
    So you're a beginner with an ego and decide to get an advanced species...Great. Why would you want a species that fits your skill/experience level? That's for old ladies. All those 'boring' beautiful docile species, and you with all that testosterone to flaunt. I get it. That's why they let student drivers race for NASCAR. Learn as you go. Mind over matter. Mind over reality.

---------- Post added 03-05-2015 at 08:32 PM ----------

And without a foundation of working their way up, they don't know what they're getting into. 'Online research' is no substitute for experience. That's laughable.

---------- Post added 03-05-2015 at 08:35 PM ----------

Does this seem to be just the least bit egotistical to you? So you can teach someone to swim over the phone?

• Like Like x 7
  19. 14pokies

14pokies Arachnoprince

download.jpg

Its easy to see where this thread is headed

• Like Like x 6
  20. lalberts9310

Ahahahahahaha!!! Lmao

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.