Best desert Scorpion

Scorpio420

Arachnosquire
Hey!

I am looking for a pet scorpion. I need it to be of a desert variety though. The venom can't be deadly or too strong, and it needs to be cheap. I was thinking a giant desert hairy scorpion, but they need to burrow and i don;t want a burrowing species. What should I get?

Thanks!

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
Dune scorpion - they'll burrow if given the opportunity otherwise they will use their hides. They move real fast but their venom is not deadly.

Scorpio420

Arachnosquire
Dune scorpion - they'll burrow if given the opportunity otherwise they will use their hides. They move real fast but their venom is not deadly.
thats funny, right after I typed this thread i did some more research and came up with the dune scorpion! Tho i was wondering what they eat.. they look pretty small and crickets look a little too big for a scorp that small?

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
thats funny, right after I typed this thread i did some more research and came up with the dune scorpion! Tho i was wondering what they eat.. they look pretty small and crickets look a little too big for a scorp that small?
They are actually a medium sized scorpion leaning towards large, they destroy crickets. Very aggressive feeders.

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
they can get quite big (but not as big as the desert hairy!) and like Outpost31Survivor said, they are aggressive feeders - so if you're looking for an active, feisty desert scorpion with 100% attitude - the dune scorpion is a good choice! Just don't house two or more together - they don't do communal.

Scorpio420

Arachnosquire
they can get quite big (but not as big as the desert hairy!) and like Outpost31Survivor said, they are aggressive feeders - so if you're looking for an active, feisty desert scorpion with 100% attitude - the dune scorpion is a good choice! Just don't house two or more together - they don't do communal.
How do i take care of one? There is no husbandry videos online, they don't look very common. For now i'm thinking a critter keeper, some ground walnut shells, and a hide. is this all i need? Also I heard something about how molting needs different care? how does all that work?

Scorpio420

Arachnosquire
also which one is the most hardy/easy to keep between the stripe-tailed scorpion and the dune scorpion?

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Don't use walnut shells (molds fast if it gets wet and may contain toxic oils) use sand, or a 70/30 or 60/40 sand/excavator clay mixture, 3-5". These need it warm and dry 75-90F. They will burrow if given opportunity to but will accept cork bark hides too.

Very educational video on scorpions with a strong emphasis on dune scorpions.

Scorpio420

Arachnosquire
Don't use walnut shells (molds fast if it gets wet and may contain toxic oils) use sand, or a 70/30 or 60/40 sand/excavator clay mixture, 3-5". These need it warm and dry 75-90F. They will burrow if given opportunity to but will accept cork bark hides too.

Very educational video on scorpions with a strong emphasis on dune scorpions.

You said not to use walnut shells because it molds when wet, but at the same time you said it should be warm and dry???? How will it get wet and mold when the climate is supposed to be dry?

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
You said not to use walnut shells because it molds when wet, but at the same time you said it should be warm and dry???? How will it get wet and mold when the climate is supposed to be dry?
The term 'dry' means a relative humidity below 40%. 'dry' does not mean there is no water in the air or coldest parts of the enclosure.
In most cases the mold/fungus is already in/on the shells before you take it home, those molds/fungi remain dormant (but still alive) at that lower humidity.
That means it won't grow and won't try to reproduce because circumstances are not ideal for them.
But as soon as circumstances are more favorable when temperature drops at night (and relative humidity rises and dew point gets closer to enclosure temperature) they will be there to mess things up.
Another more important reason @Outpost31Survivor states NOT to use walnut shell is they often contain exotic/synthetic oils which you don't want in the scorpion enclosure.

Scorpio420

Arachnosquire
The term 'dry' means a relative humidity below 40%. 'dry' does not mean there is no water in the air or coldest parts of the enclosure.
In most cases the mold/fungus is already in/on the shells before you take it home, those molds/fungi remain dormant (but still alive) at that lower humidity.
That means it won't grow and won't try to reproduce because circumstances are not ideal for them.
But as soon as circumstances are more favorable when temperature drops at night (and relative humidity rises and dew point gets closer to enclosure temperature) they will be there to mess things up.
Another more important reason @Outpost31Survivor states NOT to use walnut shell is they often contain exotic/synthetic oils which you don't want in the scorpion enclosure.
Do I need to mist? i thought I just needed to feed it a few crickets twice a week, and that they would get their water from there.

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
Just put in a small water dish for 1 or 2 nights, once a month. I do not mist my desert species because makes the glass of the enclosure filthy.
The scorpion is able to live without water for extended periods of time, adding water to drink once a month is enough to let it survive.
Letting your crickets drink water before using them as feeders is also recommended.

Scorpio420

Arachnosquire
Just put in a small water dish for 1 or 2 nights, once a month. I do not mist my desert species because makes the glass of the enclosure filthy.
The scorpion is able to live without water for extended periods of time, adding water to drink once a month is enough to let it survive.
Letting your crickets drink water before using them as feeders is also recommended.
thanks!

Scorpio420

Arachnosquire
I can't get any dune scorps, they are all sold out. Any Ideas on any common desert scorps I can easily get online?