Bearded Dragons

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Does anyone else on these boards keep or breed bearded dragons? If so, I'd love to share some wonderful stories about mine and hear about everyone else's. These beautiful lizards are the best pets :)

(the picture is of my male, Jin)

-Bryan

krucz36

Chelcirator
Old Timer
we have a fine male beardie here named skitter. he's big and fat and lives in an outdoor run during the summer (we live in Southern California, it stays pretty warm). he's getting to the age where he needs some loving too...i don't know, it's kind of creepy being a lizard pimp. any tips on breeding the bugger?
g

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No to both your ?'s, but my local pet store carries 'em, and I'm considering getting one. How much fora young'un would you cypherate they are, B?

John

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Originally posted by krucz36
we have a fine male beardie here named skitter. he's big and fat and lives in an outdoor run during the summer (we live in Southern California, it stays pretty warm). he's getting to the age where he needs some loving too...i don't know, it's kind of creepy being a lizard pimp. any tips on breeding the bugger?
g
Breeding these guys is VERY easy! Just throw a female in there (same size or bigger, as dragon mating is violent!) and it's time to boogie down ;) Honestly, it's really that easy. Taking care of the eggs is a bit different, though. There's lots of great sites out there on care of eggs.

-Bryan

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Originally posted by johns
No to both your ?'s, but my local pet store carries 'em, and I'm considering getting one. How much fora young'un would you cypherate they are, B?
It really depends on the colorations. Babies can be anywhere from $30 (for mutts) to $900 (for new color morphs). To give you a ball park, both of mine are pure breds on one color line. My male was 4" when I got him. He's pastel (the only markings on him are faint grey, the rest of him is white or muted cream). I paid $90 for him. My female was about 7" when I got her, and she's a sun-fire (white with BRIGHT red stripes and markings). She was $120.

It's all in how much you want to spend, though. All in all, even the mutts make wonderful pets. These cuties are as smart as dogs, so be sure to train them well!! :D

-Bryan

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Thought I'd post a picture of my female, as well. Her name is Mao :) Her colors are a bit muted at the moment, as she's nearing shedding time again. You can still see the red stripes on her upper arms and down the sides of her face.

-Bryan

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Eternal, just got my baby bearded this last weekend..... $15... ha... reptile show.
He's(don't actually know sex yet) awsome...
I can tell he's full of personality already!
i have a couple questions on feeding though....
I got him sunday... he didn't start eating till wednesday. He eats a couple crickets a day, but i can't get him to start eating greens at all....
What are your suggestions?
and do you recomend the food pellets as another food source?
He took a meal worm too:)

I also got a 1.1 pair of Tangerine hypo leaopard geckos....
They're pretty cool too!

K

krucz36

devildoll: i've got three juvie leopards too...just a standard high yellow color, but i love 'em. they're the coolest little lizards!
as far as skitter goes, i'm definitely on the lookout for a mate. i'm thinking i'll just take the plunge and get a female for him...the worst that can happen is that i get a new pet.
well, i guess i better restart the "other pets" thread we had on the last boards.

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by TheEternal
Does anyone else on these boards keep or breed bearded dragons? If so, I'd love to share some wonderful stories about mine and hear about everyone else's. These beautiful lizards are the best pets :)

(the picture is of my male, Jin)

-Bryan
Great pics, Bryan:) !
You mentioned in an earlier post you could teach B. d's tricks? What have you taught yours to do?

John

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Originally posted by Devildoll
Eternal, just got my baby bearded this last weekend..... $15... ha... reptile show.
He's(don't actually know sex yet) awsome...
I can tell he's full of personality already!
i have a couple questions on feeding though....
I got him sunday... he didn't start eating till wednesday. He eats a couple crickets a day, but i can't get him to start eating greens at all....
What are your suggestions?
and do you recomend the food pellets as another food source?
He took a meal worm too:)
Good deal on the dragon!! What color morph is it, or do you know?

As far as eating, make sure it's getting the right sized food. If the crickets are too big, it can easily cause an impaction (which is almost always fatal). 1/4 the size of their head is a good rule of thumb (which is why my male can eat mice :D). With the not eatting greens, there are a few tricks: give them the greens before you give them crickets. If that doesn't work, give them only greens for a week. I've had to do that a few times with my male and it always works :) My female will eat the dry food, but the male won't touch it. They definately have their own tastes :)

-Bryan

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Re: Re: Bearded Dragons

Originally posted by johns

Great pics, Bryan:) !
You mentioned in an earlier post you could teach B. d's tricks? What have you taught yours to do?
My male knows the words: food, dinner, Jin (his name), be good, cartoons, and good night. Jin also has been leash trained, knows STAY, come, stop, go get *** (which has to be a person he knows). He also loves to ride in cars and meet new people :) He also knows where and when it's appropriate to go potty.

My female is still learning things. She knows Mao (her name), food, bed time, Jin, hi (which makes her wave). She's still iffy about riding in cars, but LOVES new people. I need to get around to leash training her.

-Bryan

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanx eternal... i knew about the food size thing.... he's been taking crickets no problem. what i've been doing now though is damaging the crickets hind legs to slow them down. seems to help him.

i think i'll start him on greens only. for the next few days.

one other question, if he's trying to run up the glass, does that mean he wants out for play time :) hehe

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
thanx eternal... i knew about the food size thing.... he's been taking crickets no problem. what i've been doing now though is damaging the crickets hind legs to slow them down. seems to help him.
Actually, it's not helping him catch them that you need to worry about. It's him swallowing something too big to digest. If it can't be passed, it's not good. That's what the major problem with keeping them on walnut-shell bedding or playground sand is. They swallow it with their food and choke to death.

one other question, if he's trying to run up the glass, does that mean he wants out for play time :) hehe
Actually, yes it does. Beardies are VERY social animals in the wild, and absolutely LOVE attention. It's a shocking concept with a reptile, but very true. Mine go nuts without attention or, at the very least, Cartoon Network left on to watch. Something about the colors and odd noises, I guess ;)

krucz36

Chelcirator
Old Timer
one thing that shocked me about our big fat adult male was that he jumps! we were sitting watching TV with skitter and he took a giant leap onto an ottoman! quite an athletic move for an otherwise staggeringly lazy animal.

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a large adult male that lives in a 60 gallon reptile style terrarium. he had a girlfriend but he would bully her so she had to go in a enclosure of her own. he loves to splash in his water dish when it is refilled weekly.
Ed

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Originally posted by atavuss
I have a large adult male that lives in a 60 gallon reptile style terrarium. he had a girlfriend but he would bully her so she had to go in a enclosure of her own. he loves to splash in his water dish when it is refilled weekly.
Ed
Actually, the bullying may have been attempts at mating. As I think I said above: It's very violent! This is why it's best to put a male with 4-5 females.

On a similar note, I may buy another female or two at the reptile show tomorrow ;)

-Bryan

Highlander

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I dearlt loved my Bearded dragon Zoron :( When I was younger he was my best friend.But sadly he is no longer with us :mad: :(

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Awsome pets B. dragons I have 4, a good size male about 15"-16" and then 3 smaller unsexed ones from about 7"-10". here is a couple pics of my male Zion, he has very nice orange-red markings that did not show up in the pics :( Greg

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Highlander said:
I dearlt loved my Bearded dragon Zoron :( When I was younger he was my best friend.But sadly he is no longer with us :mad: :(
And you had to drag up a 2 year old thread...why?!?