Banana spiders?

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My mom was handling a bunch of bananas yesterday, and discovered an eggsac attached to one of the fruits. She accidentally smeared it open, and after showing it to me, I found that many of the slings were still alive! i have them now in a film canister covered with a gauze lid, and a piece of moist tissue paper for water. Anyway, I wanted to ask how likely it is that these may have been imported from the country of the banana's origin, and how would I raise them from such a tiny size? They are specks.

Adnan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you post a picture of the eggsac, I can tell you if it is from a Banana spider...

misfitsfiend

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's possible, but not likely. If they are, then you are one lucky man.

Heartfang

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh my god!!!! Kill them!!! They could be the eggs of the Brazillian Wandering Spider, the most venomous spider in the world. They are commonly found in bananas impoted from brazil( of course) and there have been a few cases of banana pickers being bitten and dying from the bites!!! I say you Kill them immediatly!!

Adnan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here is one pic of the eggsac of my Banana Spider (Phoneutria nigriventer). It´s quite large, close to 1,6 inch of diameter.

Attachments

Adnan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Heartfang said:
Oh my god!!!! Kill them!!! They could be the eggs of the Brazillian Wandering Spider, the most venomous spider in the world. They are commonly found in bananas impoted from brazil( of course) and there have been a few cases of banana pickers being bitten and dying from the bites!!! I say you Kill them immediatly!!
Hummm, not so powerfull... Typically, they can kill only childreen or old people.

El Johano

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Don't kill them, if you have second thoughts about keeping them (if they are Phoneutria sp. that is...), sell them or give them to someone with experience.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
El Johano said:
Don't kill them, if you have second thoughts about keeping them (if they are Phoneutria sp. that is...), sell them or give them to someone with experience.
If they hatch the slings are not dangerous for you. And most likely they will die before reaching a size when they can do harm.

Picture: a P. nigriventer with eggsack.

/Lelle

Last edited:

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I appreciate the replies! I will try to get a picture of the spiderlings soon, and email it to ya if that's ok. But does anyone know how to rear these things? They're quite small, but if they are Phoneutria I'd like to be able to keep them alive.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Venom said:
I appreciate the replies! I will try to get a picture of the spiderlings soon, and email it to ya if that's ok. But does anyone know how to rear these things? They're quite small, but if they are Phoneutria I'd like to be able to keep them alive.
Search for Phoneutria here on AB and you will find some info.

/Lelle

WhyTeDraGon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
unfort. I can't offer you any info on this...but I would love to see the pic.

Could someone post it for him once he's emailed it so we can all see? Perhaps? :D

Angelo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i find those little buggers in my bananas all the time, but since im so tough i just eat them along with the banana. if your into banana fritters, the eggsacks give the fried finished product a marvelous texture.

...yah just kidding. if you live in the states, i doubt they'll ever make it to the age of being possibley dangerous. but hey, if your careful, you might as well keep it. BTW those are awesome pics. looks beastly! :D

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here's what they looked like straight from the eggsac. Some of the slings have molted since these pics were taken, and have developed into longer-legged, slimmer bodied versions, and are active, and good climbers. I will try to get an updated pic later, but do these look like post-embryonic phoneutria to you?

spidersrainbow

Arachnopeon
My mom was handling a bunch of bananas yesterday, and discovered an eggsac attached to one of the fruits. She accidentally smeared it open, and after showing it to me, I found that many of the slings were still alive! i have them now in a film canister covered with a gauze lid, and a piece of moist tissue paper for water. Anyway, I wanted to ask how likely it is that these may have been imported from the country of the banana's origin, and how would I raise them from such a tiny size? They are specks.
Aren't they also refferred to as Brazillian Wandereing spider's? Fully grown they r yellow in color an aggressive nature but truely a beautiful specimen indeed. wanting to learn all I can.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
since this was brought up, i am kinda interested.

so venom, whatever happened to those? did you end up rearing any, or did you start a follow-up thread?

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Unfortunately, none of them lived to see the next molt. They wouldn't eat the pinheads I provided, and I may have been keeping them too moist. I'm not totally sure why they died. If I ever find another egg-sac on my bananas, I'll do things differently.