Banana spiders?

Louise E. Rothstein

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Larval springtails are smaller than pinheads.
Mites are smaller than larval springtails.
Had you found out in time they might have survived.

Wonder what they would have been...?

tmcv

Arachnosquire
Sorry man those are note Phoneutria sp....
They born entire black...

And the venom is not that powerfull!!! Yes can kill a children, but not regular adults with no pre-existent disease...

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
EDIT: Totally did not notice this was an old thread lol

Last edited:

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, it's pretty old! I still wish I knew what species they were though...

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Yeah, it's pretty old! I still wish I knew what species they were though...
They remind me of spitting spiders in the family Scytodidae. Carapace definitely has some noticeable elevation matching this family, also the leg banding, coloration, and eye arrangement seem consistent with this family.

If I was a gambling man, I'd bet chips on it :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/janine-white/34544176/in/photostream/

Compare with the photos on page 1. Egg sac description sounds consistent as well.

Last edited:

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, I would never have thought... Thanks for that!

Those do look very similar! Question is...were they Brazilian Scytodids, or was the sac laid in the US?

Tarantula_Hawk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm sure those spiderlings aren't young Scytodes. Eggsac description is completely inconsistent with this family. Scytodidae lay several eggs which are then covered by a few strands of silk (spherical eggsac) and carried at all times by the mothers chelicerae (similiarly to what happens with Pholcidae).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23660854@N07/4563171885/lightbox/
Additionally at that postembryonic stage legs are a lot more slimmer. Prosoma is not so elevated as it should be and eye arrangement doesn't correspond in my opinion (i believe those are 8 eyes). The prosomal pattern is also not typical of scytodids.

Those spiderlings definitely look like postembryonic ctenids to me, considering your eggsac description. Anyways it's hard to tell. Too bad all of them died. :(

PS: Ciphor the picture you linked is actually an Oecobius sp. (Oecobiidae). :)

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
I'm sure those spiderlings aren't young Scytodes. Eggsac description is completely inconsistent with this family. Scytodidae lay several eggs which are then covered by a few strands of silk (spherical eggsac) and carried at all times by the mothers chelicerae (similiarly to what happens with Pholcidae).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23660854@N07/4563171885/lightbox/
Additionally at that postembryonic stage legs are a lot more slimmer. Prosoma is not so elevated as it should be and eye arrangement doesn't correspond in my opinion (i believe those are 8 eyes). The prosomal pattern is also not typical of scytodids.

Those spiderlings definitely look like postembryonic ctenids to me, considering your eggsac description. Anyways it's hard to tell. Too bad all of them died. :(

PS: Ciphor the picture you linked is actually an Oecobius sp. (Oecobiidae). :)
Thats crazy you can determine genre at such an early stage, I'd only be able to guess.

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
looked very similiar to the boliviensis I raised...got three from a very reputable dealer {ken] and raised them up...allturned out to be males and are frozen iaway for posterity....
raising them from slings was as a matter of fact rather easy, no real secret I just fed them baby steatoda and parasteatoda till they got a lil bigger

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Where you referring to the Oecobius?
Well, kinda in general. You sound very confident in your choice, I just dont see that often with true spider slings. A friend told me, "fun to guess, funny to see them mature and how wrong you are"

Different people have different experiences tho, and I think its cool if you are pretty knowledgeable on sling IDing, because I might just use your knowledge for a couple sacs Im waiting on right now :)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
looks like an Oecobiidae to me, too. they don't really change all that much, relatively, from sling to adult, imo/ime