Bad molt P. ornata (Pictures)

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So.. One of my 3 P. ornata slings got stuck in a molt.. It popped the carapace.. Got its rump completely out.. But had fangs and every leg & both palps stuck...

The fangs were almost completely out.. But not all the way.. I only had to rub the old exo off a bit.. But they are good..

The legs & palps though.. They were for the most part completely in the old exo...

I took some toothpicks & slowly tore the old exo... After a little bit.. The legs started sliding out with ease..

Here are some shots of the little guy after I got him free from the old exo..

I didnt think to take picture while he was in the molt.. I was to focued on getting him free from it..

Here is right after I got him out of the molt..

After letting him sit a while and drink the water he was sitting in.. I placed him on a towel.. So it could dry his underside off & he would stop sticking to the little cube I placed him in... Here he is on the towel.. Then I placed him back in the cube where he is sorta walking around & trying to climb..

So.. Im not real sure if he is going to make it or not.. But we shall see.. :eek:

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Bad day for molts, eh, Tommy..

Good save though! I hope he pulls through, keep us posted. He's a pretty boy

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Poor little guy - looks like a rubber spider. Best wishes for him!

Marga

x Mr Awesome x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow that super sucks Tommy. I'm sorry to see this. I can't imagine he's going to make it but who know. Nature can be surprisingly resilient!

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Looks like a wet molt to me...i am so sorry man:( but he is in good hands!

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bad day for molts, eh, Tommy..

Good save though! I hope he pulls through, keep us posted. He's a pretty boy
Thanks Fam! :) It has been a bad day/week/month for molts.. How is your GBB? I saw some pictures of it.. Looks adorable.. Even with only 7 legs..
Poor little guy - looks like a rubber spider. Best wishes for him!

Marga
Thanks Marga! :)
Wow that super sucks Tommy. I'm sorry to see this. I can't imagine he's going to make it but who know. Nature can be surprisingly resilient!
Thanks Ben.. Im not saying he is going to make it.. But after watching him drink half a cap of water & seeing him start climbing & acting "some what" normal-ish.. I think I have high hopes for him.. :eek: I could be wrong though..
Looks like a wet molt to me...i am so sorry man:( but he is in good hands!
Thanks Rob.. But.. I honestly dont think it was a wet molt.. From what I have seen from pictures.. The spider looses the hairs.. Here are some pictures of him now.. He has already drank half the water that was in the dish..

Anyways.. Like I said.. I am not saying he "will" survive.. But I have high hopes..

He still has a little less mobility & is not quite as fast.. But still quite active..

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
Wow, Tommy. That's crazy, but he is definitely in good hands with you. I hope he pulls through! He seems to have made a lot of progress already.

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Aw, sorry he had such a hard time. Nicely done getting him out though. Thanks for posting the pictures. The Aphonopelma that the Schultzes show in their Guide that they had to extract from a stuck exuvium lived for almost 9 months afterwards and she was much worse off than this fella. One can hope that with a little TLC he will pull through. Maybe if he gets to his next molt he'll come through it normally. You will keep us posted, won't you? Any idea how old he is now?
We'll be rooting for him. Good luck! (I love this species.)

Knight in Gale

krendoshazin

Arachnopeon
It looks much better in the second set of pictures; it looks as if it has more control over its legs now.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is one fang broken, or is just the angle? He sure is a sorry sight, but big kudos to you for helping the guy out. A couple molts and some TLC and hopefully he will be as good as new. :) Keep us posted!

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice job getting him as far as you did. I was thinking the same as Robc about a wet molt, but I've never experienced one first hand and Rob has. Your photos are very similar to other photos of wet molt T's. I think the fact that he drank has to be a big positive. Fingers crossed that he gets through this just fine.
Diane

Hentzi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
sorry about the molt pal, but you are doing what you can for him that's all you can do best of luck hope he pulls through.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I agree with Diane, once he drank he gave himself a good shot at making it. Awesome job of helping get him out of the molt!!!

In the last pics he looks very good.

Keep us posted.

Its better to take action than reaction. Good show!!!

PIG-

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ouch. That sucks. I hope he pulls thru for you. Btw, it does look like a wet molt.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you all for the kind wishes..

I figure I would update on him real fast..
He has regained almost all mobility in every leg.. When he gets in the "pokie stance" on the side of the enclosure.. His front 2 legs do somewhat flop backwards.. But at the slightest touch he jumps & goes back to normal..

He seems to be in alot better shape.. :D

If it was in fact a wet molt.. Its not a real bad case.. I had a H. villosella (Spelling?) that had a wet molt.. It was completely mangled.. It died over night.. It couldnt regain any mobility or nothing.. So.. If it was a wet molt with the ornata.. It wasnt a bad one.. :eek:

I was also able to confirm another male.. :rolleyes: So now.. I am hoping the other one that ventrally looks female is a female.. LoL!

Is one fang broken, or is just the angle? He sure is a sorry sight, but big kudos to you for helping the guy out. A couple molts and some TLC and hopefully he will be as good as new. :) Keep us posted!
It must have been the angle.. There are no broken fangs or anything else.. :)

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Glad he is doing better. Hopefully you got at least one female though!
Thanks Joey.. I think I have one female out of the three.. :rolleyes: Im not positive its a female.. Couldnt confirm it by molt.. So If I have 3 males.. Lets hope Terry has 3 females... LoL!

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks Fam! :) It has been a bad day/week/month for molts.. How is your GBB? I saw some pictures of it.. Looks adorable.. Even with only 7 legs..
She's doing very well, starting to harden up, drinking like a sailor. So I'm pretty confident she'll be just fine :D

Glad yours is doing so well, all things considered. They truly are magnificent creatures, can pull through damn near anything.