Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

back from French Guyana

Discussion in 'Field Trips (Natural Habitats)' started by tarcan, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Advertisement
    Very nice Martin.
    Unless I'm mistaken you have a picture of another ant mimicking spider that Amanda showed me. I'll have to have another look tonight.

Ollie

2. tarcan

tarcan Arachnoking Old Timer

Ollie, don't tell me that, if two fooled me, I am retiring!

3. eelnoob

eelnoob Arachnobaron

Amazing animal:clap:

4. Spider-Spazz

Spider-Spazz Arachnobaron

Just looked at everyone of those pictures.
    They're ALL amazing! I would love to go on a trip like that, especially to see the scorpions and spiders! I envy you!

5. pato_chacoana

pato_chacoana Arachnoangel

Hi Martin,

Sorry to hear about the Theraphosa, they are my favourite spiders and it kills me that they are disappearing in the wild. I hope the massive exports and habitat destruction stops and the populations can recover...
    Next year I'm looking forward to make the Guayanas Amazon trip, I still have to figure out what's the cheapest and best way to get there though.

Best wishes,
    Pato

6. tarcan

Pato,

In fact, in the case of FG, it is a bit different (although still collection), the main problem is the specimens being collected, killed and framed for the stupid tourists who buy them. All this illegally and the authorities do nothing to control that.

As far as cheap goes, you can rule out FG (euros, cost of living 40% higher then mainland Europe, difficulty of flights going in, etc.), that is for sure. You will probably end up with Guyana I suppose, which is quite exciting, I am looking forward to go there myself. We were supposed to go in December, but Amanda wants a break from the tropic for the next trip and have a real vacation. Maybe next year, who knows.

Good luck

Martin

7. pato_chacoana

Hi Martin,

Yes, same problem in most places, massive collection for the ''dead trade''. Tons of spiders framed for tourists, it's crazy. Same fate for beetles and a lot of insects, and Jaguars (they sell their teeth!) and everything I guess.......... In PerĂș I saw a lot of big black Pamphobeteus framed this way, most of them adult females. I don't get how people buy these?!

Well, yes I'd probably go to Guyana. I hope to see Theraphosa there and lots of wildlife, and of course I can't miss the Kayateur Falls, the longest fall in the world... an amazing sight. It would be easier to go from Venezuela I guess, I'm already saving for this trip.

I hope I get to see the Jaguar this next time, and not only the fresh tracks! Although it was exciting to know I was living only meters away from the Jaguar in the wild, only I could never spot him!

Thanks for the info! and have a nice vacation, I hope you can talk Amanda into a jungle trip again! hehe. Maybe a place with a nice beach ?

Take care,
    Pato

8. tarcan

Pato,

he he, no beach for us, we hate that. We are thinking maybe New Zealand next.

I do not think you will be able to cross from Venezuela, these two countries are at a long time border dispute and as far as I know, there are no legal crossing points between the two countries, but I could be wrong.

A jaguar... I guess it is on everyone's list! One needs a lot of luck... OK, you are on, first who gets a picture of a jaguar in the wild wins!

Take care

Martin

9. pato_chacoana

Good to know about the border issues, I was thinking a plane from Bolivar or Caracas to Georgetown, but I will find out everything that I can so I can make the trip smoothly.

Alright! but it has to be in the wild! you're on for the bet :D I can't wait for summer :razz:

Cheers,
    Pato

10. eman

eman Arachnobaron Old Timer

Wow! Another set of superb shots Martin! Glad to see you guys had a great trip (despite the minor setback ;) ).

Cheers,

Emmanuel

11. tarcan

thanks Eman!

Talk to you soon, as last time we did not get much time

Martin

12. mitchnast

mitchnast Arachnobaron Old Timer

Martin PĂȘcheur, in english, we call these "martin's kingfisher"

13. jaw-dropping photos...

14. syndicate

syndicate Arachnoemperor Old Timer

USA
    Martin amazing photos!!Your gettin so much better with that cam!!
    Thanks for sharing!
    -Chris

15. hamfoto

hamfoto Arachnoangel Old Timer

Very, very nice, Martin! The animals and your lighting are wonderful...keep it up!

Chris

16. tarcan

thank you everyone for the nice comments

Martin

17. urs

urs Arachnoknight

Hi Martin & Amanda!
    Great photos, see you've enyojed a lot! :)
    Nice to meet you also. :)
    Take care and wish you good luck with 'breeding' project! :)

Best regards Uros

18. tarcan

Hey Uros,

Very nice to meet you too! I am glad you made it back safely to Slovenia! We are waiting at Paris airport right now!

Talk to you soon

Martin

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.