b. Smithi Sling Update

KungPao

Arachnopeon
I got my first T a couple weeks ago. It is around 1" or so with no visible color yet.

I keep "George" in a small condiment container with Eco-Earth. It will munch on a small meal worm about once a week or so. I just crush the head so it can't burrow. I have very small blaptica that I pre-kill but it doesn't seem to favor those as much as the meal worms. I gutload those, but they probably aren't as nutritious as the roaches. If someone could shed some light on this that would be great.

Here is the little bugger:

any other tips would be greatly appreciated, too.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I fed mine crickets a few times a week and it definitely made it molt and grow sooner.

KungPao

Arachnopeon
I fed mine crickets a few times a week and it definitely made it molt and grow sooner.
I'm thinking that too. Problem is, I cannot keep crickets alive at all! I have a gecko that I raise the b. dubia for because of this. I suppose I can pick up a few crickets at the pet store once a week for a few weeks.

Midknight xrs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Honestly, I would just prekill the small nymphs and leave it in there. It will scavenge the dead roach.

KungPao

Arachnopeon
That's what it has been eating, although it seems to mostly prefer the mealworms. It will gorge itself on those; it looks really plump after sucking on one of those! :}

I overwatered it the other day, and it promptly let me know by clinging to the side of the cup, so I changed it. It's a very easy going critter, even for its size and speed. It's going to be a great pet.

KungPao

Arachnopeon
Here is an update on "George":
Molted on 1/1/11 (Happy New Year!)
:

Into this:

And now George looks like this:

I also have a GBB, a P. scrofa and 2 L. violaceopes now. So, now we have a little tarantula family. :)

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
mealworms contains about 95% fat so you should feed it something more nutritious

baconmushroom

Arachnopeon
i just cut the mealworm into half and also feed them dubia nymphs..or you could pruchase a few crickets every now and then. i wouldnt breed them though, smelly little bugs they are...:D

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I usually buy some small crickets twice a month and keep them in a critter keeper with food. They still eat eat other though...

tikbalang

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
if you can get lateralis roach, the better (to dubia). they are somewhat similar to crickets in body size, and much more contents.

Midknight xrs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
B. dubia's are great when you gutload them with carrots and oranges. I have a few i2 and i3 T's that take down most nymphs no problem.

KungPao

Arachnopeon
george.JPG
This is an update on "George" almost a year later (and ready for another molt)

mmfh

Arachnobaron
Nice looking, plump T. For me, it is so much fun watching them grow and get color.

Sage

Arachnopeon
Wow that's awesome. Great to see the transitions. I really want a smithi sling but for the life of me I can't find any for under like $40. Holidays have me broke haha.

Rather off-the-wall considering I don't think you're interested in crickets anymore (but still someone may find this helpful) :
I would ALWAYS have crickets die on me. Tried feeding them carrots, lettuce, potatoes. They'd eat but still die. I tossed a toilet paper roll and a spoonful or two of dry plain oatmeal, and used a bottle cap water dish and I haven't had a random cricket death in weeks. I only have 3 t's so I buy a dozen crickets every other week typically. The oats and hide have worked wonders.

KungPao

Arachnopeon
This one was raised up almost exclusively (except the first few weeks, which were mealworms) on very spoiled dubia roaches. I feed my roaches top quality, grain-free dog food, carrots, apples, oats, and flax.

Sage

Arachnopeon
Very awesome. I would love to start a dubia colony but I'm not sure if it would be worth it yet as I only have 3 tarantulas at the moment. (Although next month I plan on ordering a few slings, mwahahaha.) Is it recommended you feed them a mixed diet or would they be satisfied with high protein dogfood and water gel? Thank you for your input and again, fantastic looking spider, can't wait to see after next molt. c:

KungPao

Arachnopeon
I'll be this guy/girl will molt this week! It's looking plump! I'm hoping its a female so she will be with me for many many years.

As for the gutloading. I offer the gel crystals for water, as well as carrots, sweet potatoes, the high protein dog food, flax, and rolled oats. Variety is the spice and you can see the results of the dubia diet on my tarantula!