B. smithi help

hnylander

Arachnopeon
Hey all! I am getting back into the tarantula world but its been a while and I could use your help... I recently purchased a 2" Brachypemla smithi and it has yet to eat (3 days) and the abdomen looks fairly small. I have been feeding appropriate sized crickets and watched it literally crawl under the tarantula..there is some dark shading on the side of the abdomen so I'm not sure if it is in pre-molt but I could use your help. I have included a pic for your reference.

Thanks!

Attachments

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
As long as you have a water dish in there I wouldn't worry about it. Let him settle in for about a week then try feeding him once every week. If he doesn't take it in 24 hours, remove the prey item and try again next week. I can't help but notice that the substrate looks a little damp. They're a more arid species so keep the substrate dry.
Also that's a Brachypelma hamorii. It used to be called B. smithi (it was recently changed), but the B. smithi people talk about now used to be called B. annitha. There's a thread that was popping up that will explain it better. I believe it was called something along the lines of "Brachypelma revision."

hnylander

Arachnopeon
As long as you have a water dish in there I wouldn't worry about it. Let him settle in for about a week then try feeding him once every week. If he doesn't take it in 24 hours, remove the prey item and try again next week. I can't help but notice that the substrate looks a little damp. They're a more arid species so keep the substrate dry.
Also that's a Brachypelma hamorii. It used to be called B. smithi (it was recently changed), but the B. smithi people talk about now used to be called B. annitha. There's a thread that was popping up that will explain it better. I believe it was called something along the lines of "Brachypelma revision."
Ok great! Thanks for the help- I've been taking the cricket out if it doens't seem interested and will try again in a few days. I made the substrate and I guess I didn't let it dry out enough so I am aware that it is a little too damp- I'm working on getting dry substrate I can add to reduce the humidity. Thanks again for the help!

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I'd let the lil fellow settle in before offering more food (week or so). Pre-moult usually looks like abdomen is dark, shiny and ready to pop. 2" is more of an in-between stage, so no sure how obvious abdomen will look to you. At any rate ... too soon to worry! :)

cold blood

Staff member
It actually looks like it recently molted...it can be a couple weeks till they are ready to eat after molting...give it a few days or a week and offer again...when its ready it will drill the cricket. Like most things in tarantulas, patience is the most likely answer.;)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
+1to above. I would also pack the substrate a little firmer down. It looks a bit loose, and my B.hamorii hated that, climbing the walls and hide, anything to avoid that soft stuff :D

antoniorodriguez

Arachnopeon
hello, i need help. recently i've purchased a 4 inch female brachypelma smithi. i did not feed her for 2 days to let her settle in. her colors were looking a tad bit drab and so i thought she was in premolt. but after buying med/small crickets shes eaten about 25 in 4 days. i wonder if the prey im feeding is too small or she wasnt fed enough from the company i purchased her from. also, her colors have become more vibrant since feeding her.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
hello, i need help. recently i've purchased a 4 inch female brachypelma smithi. i did not feed her for 2 days to let her settle in. her colors were looking a tad bit drab and so i thought she was in premolt. but after buying med/small crickets shes eaten about 25 in 4 days. i wonder if the prey im feeding is too small or she wasnt fed enough from the company i purchased her from. also, her colors have become more vibrant since feeding her.
Pictures tell a thousand words. And it makes sense that a T would be hungry enough to eat that many crickets, since crickets have very little meat on them.

Fosh Smithi

Arachnopeon
Hey all! I am getting back into the tarantula world but its been a while and I could use your help... I recently purchased a 2" Brachypemla smithi and it has yet to eat (3 days) and the abdomen looks fairly small. I have been feeding appropriate sized crickets and watched it literally crawl under the tarantula..there is some dark shading on the side of the abdomen so I'm not sure if it is in pre-molt but I could use your help. I have included a pic for your reference.

Thanks!
Hi

Thanks!
Gorgeous B smithi!!!
Just wondering how old is he/she?

hnylander

Arachnopeon
Thank you all for the help and tips! I really appreciate it :) I am so excited to be back (I had 34 Ts in high school.. that was like 8 years ago)! I'm not sure of the age but I am crossing my fingers that it is a female.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Thank you all for the help and tips! I really appreciate it :) I am so excited to be back (I had 34 Ts in high school.. that was like 8 years ago)! I'm not sure of the age but I am crossing my fingers that it is a female.
Oh so you're not a newbie at all lol.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I'd like to think not, but it has been a few years and I may be hypersensitive with this one cause I don't want anything to go wrong!
Definitely not in pre molt, probably just still settling in, try feeding in a few days.
hello, i need help. recently i've purchased a 4 inch female brachypelma smithi. i did not feed her for 2 days to let her settle in. her colors were looking a tad bit drab and so i thought she was in premolt. but after buying med/small crickets shes eaten about 25 in 4 days.
LOL that's a tad excessive....remember they are opportunistic so they will eat until they can eat no longer. Always good to feed a good amount but no need for that much in such a short time frame.

cold blood

Staff member
That goes way beyond just a tad excessive...its outrageous. You have literally crammed a years worth of food onto her in 4 days....what are you thinking....be prepared for a long, long fast. Its not a dog, it doesn't need to eat that much or that often.

Her colors have become more vibrant?...that's in your head I promise you...its impossible...the only times the colors get brighter is after a molt.