B. Jacksoni

sycjoco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They look awesome! I am going to get one when the store by me restocks. If you have one, could you share some basic knowledge? Thanks!

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I honestly wouldn't recommend it for a beginner..its a lot faster and more venomous than something you should start out with. But they are nice, I however can never seem to keep the babies alive.

sycjoco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have heard they are quite docile and I don't plan on handling it at all. Are they exciting scorpions(active?)
I will be careful.

sycjoco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Also whats the difference in Captive born and wild caught? As in why people prefer one over the other?

Last edited:

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Captive born is better, because mainly you know how old it is, and usually you know what it has gone through as opposed to it being picked up from nowhere when it is at 5-6instar. They are not docile, and do not hold it, I know some people do, but i highly encourage you to never do this, really to any scorpion..

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not bad at all...
I would recommend it to a beginner, that's what I first got...like 30 of them! {D
If you get adults they are very communal, instars...eh kinda iffy only had 4:mad: cannibalisms out of about 12 in one cage for instars 3-4, and after that I did not have any at all:?

If you need any more advice on these don't be afraid to ask:) :) !

-A.tabor

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
These are great scorpions. I've got five CB specimens right now.

Yes, they are active. Mine wander about at night with their pinchers open, and if they find prey, they readily sting the hell out of it (see avatar).

The main thing about jacksonis not being beginner is they're a lot more skitish than most of the starter scorps. When mine get startled they run around their deli cups like mad -- if their climbs were positioned differently I'd probably have had several escapes by now. But as tabor mentioned, their venom isn't as bad as a lot of buthids.

I only handled one once, and that was on accident -- and it did the whole "run around like mad" thing on my arm until I got it back in the cup. It didn't help that I was in a room full of arachnophobes when that happend . . . :rolleyes:

sycjoco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Cool. I can't wait to get one or maybe two. I currently have my emperor in a plastic circle container(which is pretty large) and i plan on setting up a glass tank for a couple of the b. Jacksonis. Would a 10 gallon be alright for 3?

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
10 gallons is more than enough for 3. just make sure you have plenty of hides in both vertical and horizontal placement as these are bark scorpions.

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i think i keep like 15 or more in a 10 gallon... as adults they do not like vertical space.. i give them plenty and they never use it, i will post a picture of a setup i use and remodeled a bit here soon.

Do you plan on getting adults or instars ?

sycjoco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey, Thanks guys for the information. That is crazy, 15 in a ten gallon tank? Do i sound clueless because 15 in a ten gallon tank to me seems outrageous. Are these critters small?> : I was thinking of starting a communal setup of these guys, but never expected to keep them all in a 10 ...

<Most likely the store that I will get them from has adults or 1 or 2 molts away from being a adult. I am not positive though...

What kind of substrate and heat do they require? Thanks !!!!

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If I were you I would try to get them from someone on the boards. No one is gonna take more care than the people around here, especially pet stores. Most likely the ones you get form the pet store is an adult and on its last limbs.

sycjoco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If I were you I would try to get them from someone on the boards. No one is gonna take more care than the people around here, especially pet stores. Most likely the ones you get form the pet store is an adult and on its last limbs.
But I think it would be too expensive for me to have it shipped. I have checked websites so I could find the best price at what seemed to be the most trustworthy site, but then i got to the checkout... Most places to ship were anywhere from 20-35$$ . More than the actual scorpion!

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Have you flipped through the classifieds on here? Some websites do charge a lot, but if you look closely you can get a deal from someone on the boards.

I bought five back in May, 2nd and 3rd instars, for $5 apiece. I think shipping was around $20 though (from Chicago to Oregon), but when I got that many scorpions it was worth it.

I've also gotten scorps from another user in the midwest, and shipping was only $7.50. I haven't had any DOAs (yet).

Edit: I wouldn't reccomend looking for adults. Young ones will live longer, and then you get to watch them grow! :D

Rosenkreuz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Edit: I wouldn't reccomend looking for adults. Young ones will live longer, and then you get to watch them grow! :D
Exactly. I'll never buy an adult unless it's one part of a breeding pair. Instars last longer, you get the joy of raising them, you get to see them molt, and if you're lucky, you'll get a couple to breed and have the joy of doing/seeing that all on your own.

sycjoco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am just worried that if i buy them too young I might have problems with their molt. I fear for their lives! lol i am not too experienced...

Iheartmantids at that price i would buy instars, but i have yet to get offered/found anything that good... I am getting offered 60$ + shipping for a pair of B. jacksoni. Most likely gravid. Is this a good deal?

And can i just get a gravid female or is their a reason why they sell them in pairs...

Thanks for all your help btw!!! :))))))

CID143ti

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
60 bucks shipped isn't terrible for a pair of adults. 60 plus shipping is a bit high. if you look hard you might be able to find them a bit cheaper. You migth want to consider a small colony 1 male and a couple females. A seller might be more likely to cut you a deal if you the more scoprs you buy.

W. Smith

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I will be posting a pic of where I keep 16 females 4 males here in a minute, waiting for my brother to upload them :) :) :)

-A.tabor

edit: I also have several other cages with single pairs or like 1 male 3 females to get some ideas on their gestation times...if you want to see those let me know :)