B. Jacksoni

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a few scorpions, P. Imp and H. Pacuidens, and I am looking for a more active species. I have heard people say that these are for more experience keepers, and other places say they are good for everyone. I no way intend on holding it, so do you think I could be ok with a few as a communal set-up????

Thanks,
Brandon

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The reality of it is this.... if you respect the fact they are buthids and have a higher venom rating than what you already own, Yes they would make a good addition to your collection. on the other hand if you are not going to take the proper precautions with them, then no they won't be a good addition.

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I totally understand that. I do respect all scorpions and honesly would never try to hold any of them, out of respect.

Crono

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just listen to Bayushi, while I repeat him. These are buthids and have significantly stronger venom. Babycurus, however is considered to be a "starter" buthid, so as long as you follow some ground rules like no handling and "no hands in the enclosure" (as well as "know where the scorp is at all times") you will be fine.

These are very nice scorps, you will definitely enjoy them.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
so do you think I could be ok with a few as a communal set-up????

Thanks,
Brandon
Chances are you will get juveniles and you will want to raise them separately but you can keep large groups of adults together

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, like Brian said it is better to raise them single when young, if you want to exclude cannibalism. I kept 10 young together well untill instar 3 and I have seen no cannibalism and I fed them twice a week. They cuddle together for thermoregulation and seem to do fine. I had to sell them so that's when the experiment stopped :) Now I keep subadults and adults together without problems, but give a bit more space then you are used too and feed them well. Just the fact that it went well in my situation doesn't garantee anything.

And like the others said, B.jacksoni is a good starter Buthid. So be careful with them, they are not very dangerous to an adult, but their sting is painful, so I have heard. Sometimes they show behaviour what is called catalepsy (playing dead), so don't let them fool you ;)

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
thanks for the suggestions guys...i have decided to go with a few v. spinigerus....do you think a 10-gallon tank would be sufficient for 4 or 5 of these guys????

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thats fine.. these guys are tiny compared to what you have, so don't be surprised when you had 1.5" scorps come in the mail. :) Good species though, fun to watch, tireless diggers. They need like temps in the 80's and humidity about 50%. A lot of people say to flood the enclosure and let it dry to make a stable ground for them to dig, but I've found that as long as the sub isn't soaked that they can be put into the enclosure before it completly dries. Good choice of scorp I think.

musihuto

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
of my scorpions, my v. spinigerus is the most likely to be out on a piece of bark striking a classic "i'm a badass scorpion" pose. however, it also sometimes burrows to the bottom of its container (2" of substrate), totally filling in the entrance to its burrow, and stays there for days. so i guess they have mood swings!

cheers! :D
- munis

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
how long does it usually take a b. jacksoni to mature....since we have a topic open already...haha

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,

It will take around 12 months for B. jacksoni to mature.

Cheers.

musihuto

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i've had a bunch go from i4 to mature in under 6 months... so i think birth to maturity might possibly be less than a year.. though as always, its temperature dependent!

cheers! :D
- munis

Hi,

It will take around 12 months for B. jacksoni to mature.

Cheers.

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yeah. it's said that its better to add a piece of bark that they can climb on, especially when they molt. I think i read that some prefer climbing and some don't, its a matter of their choice.

Crono

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You probably shouldn't be handling any Buthids. B. jax won't kill you, but they will definitely hurt.

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Awesome! I cant wait to handle one!
Handle one!? I'll handle any T I own but would not even consider doing it with my teeny B. jacksoni. I was watching once as it was walking along the enclosure when it's right claw got hung up on a little piece of coir fiber. Instead of backing up it pushed forward a couple times, paused, tried pushing again, still stuck, then suddenly pulled up it's tail and peppered the entire area of the entanglement with a good couple dozen stings. Then casually backed up off of it and went on it's way. :?
If I had ever had any thoughts of holding that thing they certainly vanished forever right then. What if that was a hair on your arm rather than the substrate fiber...:eek:

Bill