Avicularia bicegoi molted

Topher

Arachnopeon
Newbie A. Versicolor owner

I got my first spider only a few days ago. And I've been sortof skimming this thread. It seems that a few of you have been pretty successful raising tiny avics. My A. Versicolor spiderling is about 1/2". Do y'all have any advice on keeping it alive?

I've been feeding it fruit flies and random bugs I catch on my porch pretty regularly. I keep it in a plastic vial w/ holes in the top and I've been spraying it about two or three times a week.

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
Hey

Its great to see the little amazonica moulted well :clap: :clap: I look forward to pics next week once it has full colour showing.

I'm still waiting for my second one moulting . The first moulted 18th nov so this one is taking its sweet time lol. I have a bicegoi 1.5 cm sling that hasnt moulted in 4 months :eek: Still eating and active but no signs of moult yet :rolleyes: Strange wee thing lol.

I'm going to rehouse the amazonica's later today aloong with the versi's. I have another 6 avic slings coming this week too so busy getting tubs ready. Oh joy lol.

Elaine x
Thanks,

that bicegoi is taking a long time. It is amazing how some will just keep on molting into adults very fast and others will just allmost do nothing for months on end. I have several that are not eating and not molting for weeks. They just sit and do nothing.

CrypticDragon

Elaine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks,

that bicegoi is taking a long time. It is amazing how some will just keep on molting into adults very fast and others will just allmost do nothing for months on end. I have several that are not eating and not molting for weeks. They just sit and do nothing.

CrypticDragon
Yip she sure is hanging on lol. The other bicegoi has moulted twice in that time :wall:
The second amazonica still hasnt mouted yet but I went ahead and rehoused it to see if that would being on the moult. Fingers crossed.
I have just ordered 2 more amazonica slings at only 1cm so hopefully should get those in the next couple of days.

These spiders dont half know how to get you worried :rolleyes: Hopefully yours will moult soon too.

Elaine xx

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
Cages

I got my first spider only a few days ago. And I've been sortof skimming this thread. It seems that a few of you have been pretty successful raising tiny avics. My A. Versicolor spiderling is about 1/2". Do y'all have any advice on keeping it alive?

I've been feeding it fruit flies and random bugs I catch on my porch pretty regularly. I keep it in a plastic vial w/ holes in the top and I've been spraying it about two or three times a week.
I think getting them at such a small size is a real challenge to raize them to adults. I started with eight A.minatrix and lost two of them and I started with five A.amazonica and lost one of them so far. It takes practice. I think one important thing is not to have to large of a cage. While they do hunt for their food if it is to large of a cage it may be difficult for them to find their food.

These are very small A.tarantulas in these containers...

If you have a ground dweller you may want to consider a completely different cage size as it grows up. They would be better in low profile cage but you got an A.versi so the taller cages are fine. It sounds like yours is eating well which is a very good sign.

What type of cage are using??

This company sales them in bulk but many times I have found people with them for sale in small quantities in this forum which is how I got mine. I did drill all of the holes myself...

http://www.thorntonplastics.com

CrypticDragon

Last edited:

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
New Molt Many Pictures

A brand new molt from one of the the Avicularia sp. "amazonica" that was in the web vocoon. I was really waiting for this one. The other one is still it it's web coccon and should be molting very soon. I might post pictures of my late molting amazonica later on but I am very excited that this new molt just between 36 and 48 hours ago.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

The size after this molt is well over 2.5 inches or about 64 mm toe to toe. One interesting thing is when my A.bicegoi were at the 2.5 inch or 64 mm mark their legs were much shorter and they had a very heavy larger body. This amazonica has very long thick legs with a much smaller body. I think that it may get to be a very large tarantula. You can see how dark it is at lower flash levels and as the flash level is increased you can clearly see quite a bit of blue. The frosted tips are still there and the shorter base hairs on the abdomen are still red...

CrypticDragon

Last edited:

Elaine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the info mate :) For my tiny avics I'm using tubs similar to the ones in your photo's. They are ideal until the slings reach around an inch or more then they go into larger version of those at 6 inches tall and 3.5 inches diameter.
A. sp "peru purple" housing. Only 1 inch slings.

A. versi housing. 1.5 inch slings

I have 21 avics here at the moment ranging in size from 1cm upto 4 inches. Most were bought as 1cm slings and I have only lost 1 braunshauseni so far but I think it was due to a bad moult. My 5 A. versi's were slightly under 1cm when I got them and all 5 now measure 1.5 inches. Even my purpurea's are doing well and they are the toughest to raise. They prefer things drier than most other avics.

Elaine x

Elaine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow :worship: :worship: What a gorgeous colour the amazonica is and the long hairs really show up now against the dark colouring. Totally gorgeous :clap: :clap: :clap:

Elaine x

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
Nice Cages

Thanks for the info mate :) For my tiny avics I'm using tubs similar to the ones in your photo's. They are ideal until the slings reach around an inch or more then they go into larger version of those at 6 inches tall and 3.5 inches diameter.

Elaine x
Very nice cages!

CrypticDragon

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
Thanks

Wow :worship: :worship: What a gorgeous colour the amazonica is and the long hairs really show up now against the dark colouring. Totally gorgeous :clap: :clap: :clap:

Elaine x
Thanks Elaine.

I am very excited that they are doing OK. I noticed that are very hungry right after a molt so I need to feed it later in the week.

It will be next year before this one gets to molt again. It should be getting near the three inch mark by then.

ChypticDragon

Elaine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks Elaine.

I am very excited that they are doing OK. I noticed that are very hungry right after a molt so I need to feed it later in the week.

It will be next year before this one gets to molt again. It should be getting near the three inch mark by then.

ChypticDragon

They look very healthy from your photo's :clap: Mine are generally hungry and tend to eat 2 or 3 crickets around 5 days after a moult. Its great to watch them hunt when hungry.

Elaine x

Topher

Arachnopeon
What type of cage are using??

This company sales them in bulk but many times I have found people with them for sale in small quantities in this forum which is how I got mine. I did drill all of the holes myself...

http://www.thorntonplastics.com

CrypticDragon
My spider came in the exact same tube that you show in your photos, so I'm assuming it's from thornton plastics. I just ordered a sampler set from them. As my spider increases in size (if it survives its first molts), I'm thinking I can just move up through the tubes accordingly.

I'm amazed at the radiant colors of your avics! Considering their diet, it's fascinating that tarantulas can become this vibrant. It makes me wonder about the chemistry of pigmentation.

By the way, what do you feed them?

Last edited:

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
My spider came in the exact same tube that you show in your photos, so I'm assuming it's from thornton plastics. I just ordered a sampler set from them. As my spider increases in size (if it survives its first molts), I'm thinking I can just move up through the tubes accordingly.
That is exactly how I did it. I started with smaller tall ones and moved up to larger tall ones and now I am going into the tall rectangular cubes.

I'm amazed at the radiant colors of your avics! Considering their diet, it's fascinating that tarantulas can become this vibrant. It makes me wonder about the chemistry of pigmentation.

By the way, what do you feed them?
Thanks.

I feed mine only crickets. Very simple to raise from small to adult and available in most pet shops. I have heard that some people will feed small newborn mice to the giant species of tarantula.

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
Slow And Fast Molting amazonica

Here are some pictures for a molt comparison. Both of these amazonica are from the same clutch. The next three pictures are of the one that is now an entire molt behind the the second one in the next group of three pictures...

Next are three pictures of one with the fast or early molt...

Obviously the early one has more pink showing on the toes and it is much larger with thicker and longer legs. These two amazonica are just a few days apart in molts except that the first three pictures of that amazonica is an entire molt behind the second group of three pictures of the faster molting amazonica. They both definitely have a lot of blue colored shorter hairs on the legs and carapace. Both also have the red colored shorter hairs on the abdomen. And finally the both have bodies covered in longer guard hairs with the white frosted tips.

CrypticDragon

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
Another Molt

The second fast molting amazonica just molted. It wiil be the same size as the other fast molter in a few days. I am leaving it alone for now. So two fast molters are done. The third amazonica that is still a molt behind is in it's cocoon and waiting to molt which will make it caught up in molts to the first two amazonicas in a feww days or maybe a few weeks. The slowest molter that is an enitire molt behind is now eating.{D

Owe, one of my six A.minatrix just molted this morning also. :clap:

CrypticDragon

Euphoria23

Arachnopeon
That's funny.... just last night I was reading through this thread about avics.
Sure enough... this morning my Avic avic molted!!! I was sleeping... but still... and it's legs were all white and stuff. Thanks to the pictures up on here I was able to disnguish it right away! It molted from 1.5 inches to almost 3 inches if not more!

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
Yea!

That's funny.... just last night I was reading through this thread about avics.
Sure enough... this morning my Avic avic molted!!! I was sleeping... but still... and it's legs were all white and stuff. Thanks to the pictures up on here I was able to disnguish it right away! It molted from 1.5 inches to almost 3 inches if not more!
Condradulation on the successfull molt! They seem to be so much larger after a molt. Even a week later mine look even larger after they have eaten a couple of times.

CrypticDragon

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
amazonica photos

Here are some more of my larger Avicularia sp. "amazonica" tarantula photos. I took these under different degrees of a more natural color of light at about 6500K...

CrypticDragon

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've just been admiring these photos and am wondering where I could find a couple Avicularia ssp. amazonica for sale. I've been wanting one for a while now, just have never came across any, or if I did, was too late..

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
amazonica

I've just been admiring these photos and am wondering where I could find a couple Avicularia ssp. amazonica for sale. I've been wanting one for a while now, just have never came across any, or if I did, was too late..
I got mine from...

http://www.southernspiderworks.com

...quite some time ago and you would have to ask them when they may get some more. I just glanced at what they have and it looked like they have the WC Avicularia Sp. Purple Amazonica listed on their website which is a different species from what I have. There is some information about the differences at...

http://www.the-t-store.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=9870

I was going to try and breed mine if I have both genders but that would be well over a year from now.

GOOD LUCK:)

CrypticDragon