Avicularia bicegoi molted

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
Another Amazonica molted

Hey all,

Another one of my Avicularia sp. "amazonica" finally molted a couple of days ago.:D Now I have 3 of them all at the same molt number except that 2 of the three have huge abdomens and will probably will be molting next month in February. Those 2 should be very cool looking. Of course I still have the one that is about a molt behind but it also has a huge abdomen and looks to be headed for the next molt in February also.

Here are some pics of the most recent Avicularia sp. "amazonica" molt in the cage...

Currently I have all 4 of amazonica in cages that I put together that are roughtly sized at about...

3.5 inches x 3,5 inches x 6.25 inches

...or...

88 mm x 88 mm x 160 mm

I have to put together two more of those cages so that I will have a total of 6 cages. I plan to transfer my six_Avicularia_minatrix into them very soon. They are getting big enough that the very large vials they are in now are becoming to small for them. I am putting together 4 new cages for all of my amazonica. These 4 new cages are much larger and are very roughly sized at...

3.875 inches x 3.875 inches x 7.125 inches

...or...

100 mm x 100 mm x 180 mm

You can see their current cage sitting right next to the new ones that I am going to put together. I will drill the same sized holes that are in the smaller cages and the holes will be spaced the same distance apart just like the smaller cages. I will probably use more holes with about 100 on the top and 50 on each side to attempt and create the same enviroment but only a little bit larger for them. I am going to use the same wooden rod setup like the smaller cage has but a thicker diameter wooden rod will be used in the larger cages. Here are some pics of their current smaller home and their new larger soon to be home...

Well finally here are pics of the recent molt of of this amazonica. Once again I am using a light that is more like the daytime at about 65K...

CrypticDragon

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
Is it real or is it memorex ?

I just had another new Avicularia sp. "amazonica" molt just a couple of days ago. It is getting very large at 3 inches or 75 mm toe to toe. The exoskeleton is still a little bit light in color. I did not want to disturb it much but today it is allready building a new web in the larger cage that has for a home. I have another one about to molt in the next few days as well.

I am using a natural flourescent bulb at 65K in these following photographs...

What does anybody else think of this one ?

CrypticDragon

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Keep the updates coming. All your pics are outstanding.

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
thanks

Keep the updates coming. All your pics are outstanding.
THANKS, I will.

just love that avics....:) :drool:
THANKS, I also think they rock.

!!!HEY!!!

:):):):)
:):):):)

For everybody who may of purchased...

0.0.2 - Avicularia sp. “Amazonica” - Giant Amazon Pinktoe - ¾” $75

...from...

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=120813

...PLEASE post any and all photos of your Avicularia sp. “Amazonica” if you would. If you use photobucket they just might stay around long after we pass on. So this would be for the future generations to look at. I noticed that they had a large number but are now down to only 2 left as of today and they may be gone before you even read this.

I wonder if they are from the same source as mine. I started with 5 and lost 1 a long time ago. I still have 4 and they are getting much bigger.

js

Elaine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Your amazonica's are looking fabulous mate :clap: Mine are now measuring approx 1.75 - 2 inches l/s.

I bought this one as a 1cm A. bicegoi sling but she went and moulted to 1.5 inch and is looking very much like my amazonica's lol.

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
Nice

Your amazonica's are looking fabulous mate :clap: Mine are now measuring approx 1.75 - 2 inches l/s.

I bought this one as a 1cm A. bicegoi sling but she went and moulted to 1.5 inch and is looking very much like my amazonica's lol.

Your's are looking great! Only 2 or 3 more years and we will have some giant Avicularia.sp."amazonica"! :)

CrypticDragon

unitard311

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Any updates?? Just curious. Nice looking Ts you all have in this thread!!!:clap:

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
None Lately

Any updates?? Just curious. Nice looking Ts you all have in this thread!!!:clap:
Thanks.

Nothing new on my end. The 4 Avicularia sp. amazonica that I currently own all have large abdomens so it may be a little while before they molt again. They are not eating much and lounging most of the time. It seems that the time between molts gets longer an longer as they get older. I plan to post new pictures just as soon as the next molt happens.:)

CrypticDragon

Elaine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks.

Nothing new on my end. The 4 Avicularia sp. amazonica that I currently own all have large abdomens so it may be a little while before they molt again. They are not eating much and lounging most of the time. It seems that the time between molts gets longer an longer as they get older. I plan to post new pictures just as soon as the next molt happens.:)

CrypticDragon
Not a lot happening here either mate. I gave 1 amazonica to a friend so that leaves me 2 at approx 2 inches and I bought 3 more amazonica slings from Ray Gabriel so at least I know they are definitely the real thing without the wait lol.

New slings. The third hid behind a plant so no pic.

I will look forward to pics of yours once they moult :D

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
Another Avicularia sp. "amazonica" molted

Well, I just had another Avicularia sp. "amazonica" complete it's molt.

:D :D :D :D
:D :D :D :D

It is still in the thick large web they build along with the old exoskeleton. It is all white and very vulnerable at this point. I will coax it late Monday or maybe I will even wait until Tuesday for photographing. I will post some pictures on this thread around then so that anybody else interested can get a good look it. I expect it to be well over 3.5_inches or 90_mm toe to toe and the colors should be a lot more clearer at this point.

It definitely needs a larger cage ASAP so I need to get it ready this weekend. I had allready planned to transfer each of my 4 specimans to larger cages after each one has it's next molt.

I wonder, if I am fortunite enough to have both male and female out of my 4 specimens how many eggs would such a gigantic arboreal female Avicularia sp. "amazonica" produce? 50?, 100?, 500?, 1000?

CrypticDragon

Last edited:

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
hey what did you make those enclosures out of
As far as the ones I have these...

...came from...

http://www.thorntonplastics.com

...which were being sold in smaller quantities by a member of this forum.

The following ones...

...came from...

http://www.michaels.com

...in which we have a local store in this city. I drilled my own holes in them. Many other threads and posts have different containers that also seem to work very well. To each his or her own.

CrypticDragon

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
New Avicularia sp. "amazonica" pictures

Here are some new pictures of my recently molted Avicularia sp. "amazonica". It is over 3.5_inches or about 90_cm toe to toe. As usual these were taken under daylight flourescent bulds that are at 6500K in the spectrum. This gives a very natural colored light which is very simular to how it actually looks in sunlight. A low flash on my camera was also used...

It appears that the brighter the light I use for taking the pictures the more the blue color shows up. The lower the intensity of light the darker this specimen becomes allmost a black color. Now if I go back to the standard flourecsent bulbs which have more yellow light it will look more like a greenish blue color. The frosted tips are still very clear on it. When I get some time I take photos of several lightings to show the differences.

I welcome any comments.

THANKS,

CrypticDragon

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
Fourth Amazonica Molted 36 Hours Ago

My fourth and last Avicularia sp. "amazonica" just molted about 36 hours ago. They are way to large for the largest plastic box available at Micheals. It is...

3.875 inches x 3.875 inches x 7.125 inches

...or...

100 mm x 100 mm x 180 mm

...as you can sort of see from the following photo with its old exoskeleton inside the webbed area. Especially since it is now over 3.5 inches or about 90 mm toe to toe...

I am using a new cage with cocnut fiber and my standard small drinking containers. The following cage has about double+ the volume that the old cage had. This will be fine for now...

Here are some other photos of it. I did use several bright daylight flourescent bulbs with a bright flash from the camera for all of the pictures today. The flourescent bulbs are around 6500K for the spectrum...

It definitely has the blue green coloration depending on the light. I am hopefull that some the others will molt one more time before Xmas. This may not happen until after Xmas because the time between each of their molts is getting longer and longer. I guess I will have to wait and see.

I hope these photos are helping anybody else out with identification of this species of arboreal tarantula.:)

CrypticDragon

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
amazonica molted...

Another one of my Avicularia sp "amazonica" molted two days ago. It is 4.5 inches or 11.5 cm toe to toe. It needs a few more days to harden up but I did get ten photos just a few minutes ago...

CrypticDragon

c'est ma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
WHAT a super thread! I hate to think how long I've just spent, reading it from page 1. :) And of course you make me think I might as well just forget about ever taking any pics...:D

Speaking of pics, I saw your camera explanation several pages back, but don't think you ever described your photography platform? If not, would you?

And after all these pics of all these avics, haven't any of them ever decided to use their famous speed and rush off? (I just got my 1st avic a few weeks ago...still learning.)

Thanks for a most pleasurable thread and kudos on the superb photography.

--Diane

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
Thanks

WHAT a super thread! I hate to think how long I've just spent, reading it from page 1. :) And of course you make me think I might as well just forget about ever taking any pics...:D

Speaking of pics, I saw your camera explanation several pages back, but don't think you ever described your photography platform? If not, would you?

And after all these pics of all these avics, haven't any of them ever decided to use their famous speed and rush off? (I just got my 1st avic a few weeks ago...still learning.)

Thanks for a most pleasurable thread and kudos on the superb photography.

--Diane
THANKS.

Nothing really special at all for the pictures. I have a small plastic magnifying glass which is simular in size and style to a jewlers loop...

http://toolsrunner.com

...in which mine is very low priced that you would find from a kids science supply store. Mine was certainly under 20 bucks and much nicer than the one at this link...

http://store01.prostores.com/servlet/thescienceshop/StoreFront

Mine is all black plastic and has three lens for up to 30x power. It just happens to fit perfectly over the end of my standard 4.8 meg digital camera lens. I hold it over the front lens of my standard digital camera with one hand and the camera with my other hand and click. I use Adobe Photoshop to resize the pictures.

As time passes the above links may stop existing or change into who knows what. For now they are correct links for examples for what I used for the photographing.

Thats it.:)

CrypticDragon

Last edited:

CrypticDragon

Arachnopeon
Thanks

Absolutely stunning mate :worship: :worship:

Growing nicely now and looking like a proper amazonica :D Great photo's too.

My biggest one is now just over 4 inches. Its funny to think she is a juvenile at that size when some of my otherf Avics are smaller than that as adults lol. You can see mine here.
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showpost.php?p=1279256&postcount=644
Thanks Elaine.

It is just sitting around for now and not much moving. I figure that it takes 4 or 6 days to get their exoskeleton up to par after a heavy molt to this size. I find it hard to believe that the next molt for it will be around 2 years old for this amazonica. I am guessing it will be 3 to 4 years old before it hits full size at possibly 9 inches. If the other reports are true about the size.

CrypticDragon