Avicularia avicularia communal?

LoganVivisected

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ive read that it is ok to let them live together provided with plenty of space/ hides and same size animals...is this true or should i avoid it?

K-TRAIN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ive read that it is ok to let them live together provided with plenty of space/ hides and same size animals...is this true or should i avoid it?
accually ive seen them in the same tank before. i think that they have to have the right attitude though because if you get one thats calm and another thats skittish the skittish one may attack the calm one. they should also be fed plenty of food.

LoganVivisected

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ive been thinking about trying it, because i want to get several tarantulas at the NC reptile show on the first, going to pick up an irian jaya and a few scorps and supplies, but a lot of vendors will have ts too, so i was thinking of expanding more into them because of how much ive enjoyed my l. parahybana. deff gonna get a king baboon but other than that im still thinking and if these guys really are communal i think i want some of them.

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I recently set up an exhibit for the museum I work for that houses 25 Avic. avics. It's been about 2 months now and so far I've only had 1 fatality. I made it a point to introduce them all at the same time so that no one had set up any territories already and it seems to work just fine. I also make sure they are very well fed.

The enclosure size is 3'x2'x5'H

Danny

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Avic avic communals

We've had great luck with communal set ups, including A. avics and also P. murinas.. Our preferred method is to set up the tank when they are all slings. If you intend to let them breed naturally, then mix the slings from different eggsacs. Provide LOTS of cover and territories and then sit back and enjoy! Our communals are my favorites, since there is always something 'goin on' in there! Also we include pill bugs for a janitorial crew..they've helped alot and they don't bother the molting T's and neither are they eaten by the T's.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you can accept the idea that some mortality will occur, it's interresting indeed. Had no problem yet with my 7 H. incei!

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is there is a way someone can make a communial sticky thread?
Since communial Tarantula questions/ comments always seem to come up. and a sticky thread would actually wipe out all of these. I remember I made one my self a few weeks ago and i probably wouldnt have if i knew what Ts worked best communially and which ones to keep by their self.

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tried this twice with two very different results.

I tried it once with a group of Avicularia urtricans with no problems. A friend did the same and one went rogue and killed all the others. Both these groups were only about four or five animals and the groups were together for no longer than a month or so. I guess with two short term trials, the results were mixed. I wouldn't be afraid to try it again with a few Avicularia species. As mentioned in the earlier posts, make sure you have adequate space, food, hides, etc.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
longterm sucessful communals

We set up a communal with 5 P. murinas slings. At maturity we took them all out ALIVE and healthy! :clap: They went into a 20 gal high tank and were just fine... We just set up a new communal with 8 slings and another one with 2 A. avics for the daughter. Good luck with yours :D

Feathers

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I recently set up an exhibit for the museum I work for that houses 25 Avic. avics. It's been about 2 months now and so far I've only had 1 fatality. I made it a point to introduce them all at the same time so that no one had set up any territories already and it seems to work just fine. I also make sure they are very well fed.

The enclosure size is 3'x2'x5'H

Danny
What size were they when you introduced them? Were any together prior to the large set up?