Avic. Humidity Idea

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the roaches gain access through the ventilation holes? surely the gain exit from the same holes?

So, you lift the enclosure with one hand, held high enough to get your cleaning equipment into the enclosure. I just dont see this as a positive solution. I certainly see it works and each to their own but it serves no benefit to do it that way IMO. For the same operation in my enclosure I just lift the lid and use the tongs to clean, meaning I have a hand to prevent any escapees:

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the roaches gain access through the ventilation holes? surely the gain exit from the same holes?
If we were keepers that threw in a handful of roaches and walked away, then that could be a concern. We just put one in at a time though, and watch to make sure it is eaten/ rendered unable to escape. :)

So, you lift the enclosure with one hand, held high enough to get your cleaning equipment into the enclosure. I just dont see this as a positive solution. I certainly see it works and each to their own but it serves no benefit to do it that way IMO.
We sit on the floor to do any cage maintenance, so high enough is not high. We only have our A. versicolor and A. purpurea in upside down hobby cubes. They aren't our first choice for enclosures, but we had to make do with what we had.

For the same operation in my enclosure I just lift the lid and use the tongs to clean, meaning I have a hand to prevent any escapees:
You have a Poecilotheria species in there, correct? We also have ours in a top opening enclosure, as it makes sense for that genus. Avicularia seem to be addicted to the top of the top, so the lid would be ripping up their web each and every time we opened it. Since we enjoy looking at their web creations so much, we prefer not to rip it up and constantly make them rebuild it. I also worry that it stresses them for that to be done over and over, but I am the human, so I have no real idea if it does or doesn't. It wouldn't be a positive solution for any other arboreal genera we have kept though, so the Avics are the exception to the rule for us.

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I find a large waterdish is preferable with any avic. As large as the enclosure will allow. For slings, I place mesh over the top, so the babies wont drown or do something silly. I don't even bother with substrate anymore, as none of my avics have ever been anywhere near it. I have some moss in there to hide the glue around the bottom of the trees they web on, but apart from that, all I use is a lrge waterdish, and some waterdroplets in the webbing during molts. And they are very fine with that. For slings I mist the walls so they can drink from them. Never lost an avic due to husbandry yet, so I have to be doing something right..

I've spent some time finding a practice that works for me, and this does.