Auckland Tree Wētā photos and video.

Violet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just thought I would share afew photos of my Auckland Tree Wētā / pūtangatanga (Hemideina thoracica). I’ve had these two females for a couple of months, neither are fully mature but still pretty impressive in my opinion. The following photographs are not all from the same day.

The smaller of the two.

The big girl. This is how Wētā spend the day, tightly squeezed into a dark crevice or hole.

Here comes trouble, Wētā can be very territorial when there is no male to keep them in check. In the wild they are often found living communally. A male, several females and juveniles will share a natural cavity in a tree branch, I hope to eventually keep them like this in captivity. For now the two girls spend the day at opposite ends of the enclosure. God knows what happens at night :?

(I should note: The hollow log, hiding spot in the above photo is usually coverd with black plastic to keep it dark.)

Example of a male, poorly pinned I know. Check out the mandibles

A short handling video. She wasn't too happy about being woken up, they are usually abit calmer then this:

[YOUTUBE]JO7-sPzpnG8[/YOUTUBE]

Not cute perhaps, but definitely fascinating! ;)

I'm in the process of rearranging the enclosure, I will post pictures when I am finished.

Questions and comments welcome :)

Last edited:

Violet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Video wont work. Anyone know how to embed a Youtube video ?

Last edited:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
very nice!

they look a bit like super giant versions of our camel crickets

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Tarantula food! {D I kid, I kid! Nice insects :). I'd like a Kakapo.

;)

Terry

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I was thinking 'meh, just another cricket' until saw pic #3: what a curious looking head! Reminds me of a WWII era gas mask. Love the habitat...do they inhabit previously hollowed wood or do they do the hollowing?

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Violet, I was very much kidding as on another thread regarding collecting CITES-listed tarantulas. I actually meant the bird. The booming is so cool. One of the rarest, if not the rarest parrot on earth now. Definitely the heaviest!

The Tree Weta are cool. Superficially resemble Jerusalem crickets with their large rounded heads. Some of these things have a long life expectancy for insects, eh? Thanks for sharing. :) Terry

Violet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was thinking 'meh, just another cricket' until saw pic #3: what a curious looking head! Reminds me of a WWII era gas mask. Love the habitat...do they inhabit previously hollowed wood or do they do the hollowing?
They mainly live in naturally formed holes made my beetle larve or holes caused by wood rot. I have read they will extend these “galleries” by chewing wood, they certainly have the hardware for such renovations.

Violet, I was very much kidding as on another thread regarding collecting CITES-listed tarantulas. I actually meant the bird. The booming is so cool. One of the rarest, if not the rarest parrot on earth now. Definitely the heaviest!

The Tree Weta are cool. Superficially resemble Jerusalem crickets with their large rounded heads. Some of these things have a long life expectancy for insects, eh? Thanks for sharing. :) Terry
Tree Weta live for around two years, not sure about other species.