Are these tibial hooks?

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
Molted yesterday, was sold as a female. Person who sold me this B. albopilosum bought three B. albopilosum Ts as female juvies, so I got one of the three siblings, but she told me one of them matured into a make this week.

Now mine molted too and those things look like hooks to me:
Screenshot_2016-08-19-14-28-46.png

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
Yup, those are tibial spurs. Looks like someone wanted to unload a bunch of immature males.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
They look like hooks to me. Do you have any shots of his pedipalps?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Person who sold me this B. albopilosum bought three sinlings as female juvies but one of them matured into a make this week.
Sounds like they need to go talk to whoever they bought them from and see what's going on.

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
He's still behind the log, so I can't view him without messing with the terrarium, which would include taking it out of the cabinet it's in. So i'd rather wait till he moves forward on his own.

I want to make absolutely sure I don't blame the person who sold me this T. Since she was told when she bought the 3 B.albo's that these were female so she never checked herself.

It's just that this was my first T that i got this april and I expected her to be with me for a long time. This sucks.

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
They look like hooks to me. Do you have any shots of his pedipalps?
I just got a quick look of his pedipalps, they have reddish like spiky things underneath so i guess that confirms it?

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
Damn this hurts quite a bit. On the flip side, I thought I would have trouble identifying male spiders. Guess not..

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I would absolutely contact the seller. Make no mistake, that is fraud - it was sold to you as something, and it turned out to be something else.

Would you settle for a ruby when you paid for a diamond?

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
Well I should ask the person who I got one of the siblings from who that seller was. The person I got this T from is as much a victim of this fraud as I am. As far as I know now, out of the three sold to her as girls, two turned out to be males and matured this week.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Well I should ask the person who I got one of the siblings from who that seller was. The person I got this T from is as much a victim of this fraud as I am. As far as I know now, out of the three sold to her as girls, two turned out to be males and matured this week.
I would have her get in touch with the original seller (if possible) and see what they have to say. If she paid for a set of three females and two are male so far someone did more than made a mistake.

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
Yeah she tried, but that was over three years ago and she only has the first name of the seller, which is one of the most common names around here. So that's a dead end.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would absolutely contact the seller. Make no mistake, that is fraud - it was sold to you as something, and it turned out to be something else.

Would you settle for a ruby when you paid for a diamond?
Is it just me or is there an influx of males maturing who were bought as females recently?

Humanity is shameless... :(

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Is it just me or is there an influx of males maturing who were bought as females recently?

Humanity is shameless... :(
I think it has more to do with bad sexing then people trying to be overly dishonest. Even on here people are often conflicting on sexing predictions when trying to sex the molt of a T that is very small. A person gets a prediction they want to hear and then goes on to sell it for what they think it is.

I doubt anyone planning to sell more than a few Ts will try to cheat people. Word would get out too fast and soon no one would buy from them. In a lot of cases, people buy a 'sexed' T from someone and they don't bother to sex it before selling it to someone else.

If I ever start selling Ts I'd have to be positive (with my own eyes) that the T is female before I sold it as such. Otherwise, I'd just sell it unsexed.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Yeah she tried, but that was over three years ago and she only has the first name of the seller, which is one of the most common names around here. So that's a dead end.
Then at this point, there isn't anything you can do. I'd try to find someone who needs him for breeding and work out a trade or sell.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Then at this point, there isn't anything you can do. I'd try to find someone who needs him for breeding and work out a trade or sell.
+1.. or do a breeding loan. You find someone, preferably on the boards. ;) (shameless plug I know), work out what the terms on the breeding loan are. Usually, it's a standard 50/50 split of whatever slings are produced by pairing your male, with your partners female. You ship your male to the person with the female. The females owner will pair them a couple of times and will, sometimes, then send him on his way to pair with other females. When your partners female, I should say if, produces a sac then you will get 50% of the slings from the sac to do with as you wish. You can have them send you 2 or 3 slings, or 10 if you want. or even all of them to you. :) This way, you get a couple of slings to expand your collection. :) if you get 3 you have a chance of at least one being female. If you choose to keep 10 0f them you will almost certainly get a female. :)

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think it has more to do with bad sexing then people trying to be overly dishonest. Even on here people are often conflicting on sexing predictions when trying to sex the molt of a T that is very small. A person gets a prediction they want to hear and then goes on to sell it for what they think it is.

I doubt anyone planning to sell more than a few Ts will try to cheat people. Word would get out too fast and soon no one would buy from them. In a lot of cases, people buy a 'sexed' T from someone and they don't bother to sex it before selling it to someone else.

If I ever start selling Ts I'd have to be positive (with my own eyes) that the T is female before I sold it as such. Otherwise, I'd just sell it unsexed.
I don't know, it's pretty hard to mess up a true spermathacae ID (not ventral) on anything over 2". I've yet to mess up sexing a T since I got a cheap microscope and I'm certainly no expert. I've had doubts on one or two, but they were 1.5". It has been plain as day on the ten ( :rolleyes: I know, only ten) species I've sexed. For all I know, they could be the easiest species to sex, though I have my doubts.

I'd like to believe in these people, but TWO in this case? It's hard to believe this wasn't intentional exploitation of people's trust. :(

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I can empathize because I just had my 'moult confirmed female' B. albopilosum turn out to be male too. He is not mature, but I have confirmed (for sure this time) from his recent moult. I am glad that I didn't end up paying a lot of money for him based on him being a her. Good thing my other juvenile female is really a female (moult confirmed by me too).
As much as I understand that the person you got yours from got them from someone else who probably told they were female - this is still 100% on the person who sold them to you. If you are not going to either confirm yourself by waiting for a moult or insist upon it from the person who sold them to you, or, if you are unable to do that, you just have to suck it up and sell them as unsexed - then you have to take consequences of that if they turn out male. The last seller is on the hook (no pun) for misrepresentation. I think that people often just want to get more money from people by telling them they are getting a female, but they don't do anything to ensure that they are.
I hope you can get some of your money back.

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
Well I got this one for €10 so that is nothing. The molt I got was quite intact, yet only the abdomen bit was mangled, so even if it weren't mature, it would still be hard to sex without molt.

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

I like your optimism but the longer I am in the hobby (reptiles as well) the more cynical I become. I like to trust people. I don't like feeling that everyone is out to screw me over but sadly its becoming more and more difficult not to feel that way. I've sold maybe 100 tarantulas in my time that were large enough to be sexed and only maybe 10 or so were ever sold as guaranteed females simply because I didn't know for sure. Either I couldn't get a molt or find anyone who could give me a definite answer (I admit I am not so good at it myself)

I don't know, it's pretty hard to mess up a true spermathacae ID (not ventral) on anything over 2". I've yet to mess up sexing a T since I got a cheap microscope and I'm certainly no expert. I've had doubts on one or two, but they were 1.5". It has been plain as day on the ten ( :rolleyes: I know, only ten) species I've sexed. For all I know, they could be the easiest species to sex, though I have my doubts.

I'd like to believe in these people, but TWO in this case? It's hard to believe this wasn't intentional exploitation of people's trust. :(
I've seen tables where they had dozens of medium sized T's of the same species with a bunch labeled as females and a bunch as unsexed but not a single labeled as male. Kind of suspicious if you ask me.

I suppose it could be like a snake where if you pop the hemipenes its obviously a male but if they don't pop it could still be a male so there is some uncertainty. If you see the spermathecae its a female but on some it just may be to difficult to see. Still, it makes me suspicious.